“Find another place...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Floriana Guesthouse

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Floriana Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 14 Cairns B&B and Inns
roma
“Find another place...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

Maybe Floriana was been a good place to stay, thinking at the good review on Lonely Planet or other guide.
Now is a place cheap and vary basic, with no place for clinliness. The room is full of dust but with no amenities (neither soap or coffee).
It's positionated on esplanade of Cairns, far 20minute walk from the pier.
I think you'd better find another place...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simostuta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

I am delighted, refreshed and in love with Cairns and Floriana Guesthouse. I was recovering from a severe illness and I found it so restful and quiet, I’m sure I was healed there. The walks along the Esplanade and the wonderful trees, the view, sitting on the little timber seats, were just as much entertainment as I needed. I met some very happy guests there, sitting around the Bar b q, talking and laughing, and the lovely little pool, it was just heaven and very cheap.

Ms Elaine Richards

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2010

I came over from Brisbane end of July 2008 and stayed in Cairns for one month. I was looking for a very cheap place to stay, because I knew I would spend most of the time on a liveaboard and that was what Maggy saw straight away.
I had no reservation, just went there and I have to say Maggy was very helpful. She offered me to stay in the Charleston House which seems to be a quite famous place in Cains (for whatever reason?)
Yes, furniture was old, matress isn't the latest, but what should I complain about. The people were friendly and helpful and I was just looking for a basic location to start all my diving trips and sight seeing tours from. I loved it and would always go there again.
I had a room for myself with shared toilet and shower which never was a problem at all.
I can not understand some people complaining about the distance to the town center. The sun was shining every day. It was only a 15 min walk which is nothing compared to the distances I have to cover in Berlin. Additionally you can use the esplanade way and wander along the ocean. All I can say...It was perfect for me! But I have to admit I am not the luxery type of person.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Micib
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

Like other people who've written reviews about the Floriana, we stayed here because it was the Lonely Planet 'our pick'. How? Why? What was the writer thinking?
This was, without doubt, the worst place I have stayed in during my travels of the last ten years. I can't warn you enough not to stay here.
We stayed here as it looked near the airport and we had an early flight but actually we'd have been way better off staying centrally and getting up ten minutes earlier.
Here are the reasons I hated it:
1. Cleanliness. There was a rug on our floor which couldn't have been swept or hoovered in months. It was disgusting.
2. There were only net curtains on the window so an eye mask was essential for sleep. The net curtains were grimy - not helped by the fact that one of the windows wouldn't shut properly so the grime from outside was all over the windowsill...that ants then marched through all day and night.
3. The place is old fashioned and charming BUT facilities such as kitchens and bathrooms were cheaply installed in the 70s or 80s and desperately need updating.
4. The decor also needs re-doing as it's shabby - though at least someone had daubed a few paint splotches over where people had presumably splatted mosquitos on the walls.
5. We had approx 6 big moths and 4 mosquitoes in our room.
6. There are lots of notes telling you to walk around in slippers or bare feet so that the owners, who live downstairs, aren't disturbed. We felt like we had to tip-toe around like someone had died.
We stayed for one night and felt like we needed a shower afterwards.
Instead, I'd recommend somewhere like the Central YHA which is in a great location and is clean, modern and cheap. It's very basic but much nicer to be in.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Micib

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

I stayed 4 days at Floriana, and absolutely loved it. I was after a relaxing few days, and that's exactly what I got. It was quiet, not pretentious and the owner Maggie knows Cairns and all the tours very well as she has lived in Cairns over 30 years. She recommended the Billy Tea day tour to the Daintree rainforest and Cape Tribulation, and the Sea Star to go to the Outer Reef. Both days were one of the highlights of my holiday.
The Sea Star is a smaller boat, a family run business, and instead of taking 200 other people, there are only 20, which made snorkeling much more tranquil.
Sure, it is possible that Maggie gets commission by recommending these 2 companies, as other reviewers felt she was very strong in her recommendation, but why should this be an issue, both companies were absolutely amazing, and I have recommended them to others already.
Maggie has personality, sure she is a bit aloof, but I thought it all added to the experience. Remember this is not a hotel, but a guest house.
I thought the house was charming, the 15 minute walk into town along the Esplanade no issue what so ever - how could it be, you can walk along the sea and pelicans, lorakeets and many other birds and wild life can be seen on the way.
My room had a/c, and the pool was great for cooling off. Also no issues with availability of hot water and I showered twice a day. If you want to stay in a charming, quiet house with good value for money then don't hesitate.
Useful to mention: Maggie provides insect repellent, sunblock, fridges, BBQ and lots of advise if you ask for it - otherwise she will probably happily stay aloof. :-)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo