Lowest prices for your stay
AU$220
AU$176
Fully refundable before Fri, 8 Mar
Multiple ways to pay
1,222 results
All reviews every night wet t shirt the east coast bed dorm party atmosphere private room air con backpackers hostels kitchen balcony
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 June 2023 via mobile

Loved that the hostel was centrally-located in Cairns. Definitely within walking distance of restaurants and the Reef Fleet Terminal where many snorkeling cruises leave from. Staff were very friendly and it was comforting to know that reception was open 24/7.

Room tip: There’s a parking lot available, but it’s around the block from the hostel. If you buy a ticket at reception of Gilligan’s, you can save $!
Date of stay: June 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2023

The location is dead centre cairns city, the 4 bed dorm is good for a group. The kitchen on level 4 is lovely, although some other quests do not clean up after themselves. The pool is lovely & you can get discounts on food and drink in the bar.
The the aircon in the room cannot be controlled, we had to sleep in hoodies because it was so cold in the room.
There is then NO aircon in the communal areas, making it incredibly uncomfortable to cook or relax. There is not clothes horse for drying clothes. The music that plays every night until 3am can we heard in every room in the hostel! One of the bar waitresses was very rude, pass-remarkable, made personal comments (weight/clothing) and poorly mannered in general.

Date of stay: April 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2023 via mobile

I knew it was a party hostel, but I wasn’t aware of the fact that it would be SO loud 24/7. My room was right above the bar and when I was laying in my bed it literally felt like I was inside the bar. So didn’t sleep one bit. Was actually meant to stay 10 nights, but left after 3. That is my personal issue though, I’m just a very light sleeper so I couldn’t handle it very well. I did enjoy the rest of the hostel though. The rooms were very clean and they got cleaned every day. Ensuite toilet and shower. And a balcony for every room. Kitchen on every floor I believe. Didn’t use it, but looked clean. And also communal area with couches and TV on every floor. I guess I was just unlucky with my room, because my friends were on the other side (side of the street) and there you couldn’t hear anything of the noise from the bar.

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank maude437
Reviewed 26 February 2023

Would honestly give this hostel zero stars if I could, the staff are on a whole new level of rude and dismissive. There was urine leaking from the room above which was just mopped up with a bucket placed down. The next 3 days following, more leaks continued, it took 3 trips down to reception in one day alone just for someone to come up and place a towel and another bucket down, claiming there’s ‘no maintenance around to do anything else’. That’s just the beginning, one of the beds in the room was infested with bedbugs, my friends arm was absolutely covered. Jose, the shift manager told us ‘it can’t possibly be from this hostel’ and that he’s ‘never seen it before whilst working here’ and that she has been ‘misdiagnosed’ ?!?!?!?! Baring in mind my friend is a nurse and we had it checked over by a further 2 pharmacists, along with treatment. Absolutely no liability was taken, we were made out to be liars and the problems addressed were shunned like they were nothing- aswell as the female receptionist who told me to ‘stop talking’ when I was rightly so complaining about the issues. Absolutely disgusting in terms of health and safety, welfare, customer service and basic empathy. The whole places needs a deep clean, lots of maintenance and NEW STAFF. Avoid avoid avoid and spend your money elsewhere!!!

Date of stay: February 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Sian D
Vanessa Schap, Agency / Consultant at Gilligans Backpackers Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2023

Fellow guests in this room advised our team at the point of investigation that the bites were not from Gilligan's and they had possibly come from a previous destination. This review is defamatory and untrue. It is important that guests take responsibility for their belongings and treat them with extreme heat or cold temperatures. Gilligan's has strict procedures in place and does not have bed bugs. I would like to reassure all fellow travellers and readers of this review, in this instance there were no bugs present at all, only bites. In terms of our staff, they do the best they can in any given situation.

Reviewed 19 February 2023

Me and my partner stayed at Gilligans for 5 nights, we really enjoyed our stay for the first 4 nights however on our final evening we were absolutely disgusted by the attitude from the security to the night club. Usually there are two ques leading into the nightclub (the right being for regular guests and left being for Gilligans guests). Therefor without knowing otherwise as usual we entered the left hand que to then get to the front and rudely being shouted at that this was only for VIP I asked what VIP was as we were Gilligans guests and had joined that que every night. After it still not being made clear and being shouted at we left that que to join the one on the right, once getting to the front of that que our ID was checked and we were let in, however the security woman (399) came out of her way to not let us in due to us simply asking what the left hand que was for as we clearly did not know! As we proceeded to ask why we were not allowed in after asking a question she began to get very aggressive towards us. After speaking to management that evening they said ‘well she was angry because of another situation before us’, I then said how disgusting it was that she is taking out on us what happened with her earlier in the evening, me and my partner are so unhappy with the issue as nothing was resolved and we did nothing wrong but ask a question, we have also took this further as we do not think we have been treated fairly and that the security have spoke to us disgustingly. After the issue the woman (399) came over to me at reception and proceeded to shout at me I front of many other guests and tried to belittle me! This behaviour is absolutely shocking and has made our time at Gilligans a one to remember for all the wrong reasons, we will not be returning and hope this issue gets resolved asap!

Date of stay: February 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple