See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 August 2018

A two-bed room with an ensuite shower was great (especially getting it all to myself); the kitchen was clean; and there's a small backyard where I guess the guests can socialize & such (but should be out of an earshot if your room is on the front side & upstairs). And for food, there are McDonald's, KFC & a gas station convenience store all in just about a 5-minute walk (a right turn after coming out of here followed shortly by another right turn where you'll see them right around the first intersection straight ahead).

The "only downside" with this place I can think of is its "somewhat inconvenient" distance from the waterfront (about a 20-minute walk), and I would suggest to take Florence St. which is the "most straightforward" to get here from the waterfront (all the way along Florence St. to the cross with Draper St. which is shortly after passing McDonald's, KFC & the gas station as mentioned above, then a left turn where you'll see this place shortly to your left).

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Could'nt sleep because of the horrible noise by people outside. No one was available at the reception and there is no staff during the night to stop it (no contact!).
Otherwise the kitchen was good, nice hot shower and good wifi too.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here for a month, worst hostel I’ve ever stayed in (been backpacking for 18 months!) our room was covered in damp, when we arrived there was rubbish down the side of the bed, sheets were old, dirty and stained, we actually bought our own because they were so bad.
I contracted a chest infection while staying at this hostel and I’m positive it’s becuase of the damp and mold that is everywhere. Our bedframe had rusty spikes sticking out of it (photos attached) and we could have easily Injured ourselves if we hadn’t noticed them and done something about it.

There was a mouse living behind a shelf in our room. It had a nest. God knows how long it had been there. Disgusting. I told staff and was given some disinfectant to clean the room.

A few times I had thrown things away that were rubbish (an example is an old bottle of ketchup) and I had found that same bottle in the kitchen in the free section. It had been taken out of the bin.

Do not stay here, there are far better and cheaper hostels in Cairns.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2018

I stayed here for three nights in a standard double bedroom. The bed sheets were stained and dirty, there was dusty everywhere and the room smelled musty. In the public showers, the shower head was broken, there was mould everywhere and everything needed cleaning (I only used the shower there once because the experience was so bad). Before arriving, I had been planning to use the kitchen, but after seeing the area decided to eat out for every meal. The staff were friendly but late to open reception on the day that I checked out, meaning I had to rush to make my bus in time. The location felt unsafe when walking home at night but was in walking distance of the city centre. The only good thing was the price. The whole place could be improved easily by a big clean. Only stay here if you don't mind dirt.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmmaClaireB
Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

Good price, bed less squeaky than some I’ve had and decent shower. Like the funky artwork!! Lots of common areas. Rooms are pretty old & not massively clean but unsurprising for price. Kitchen bit grubby...

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends