Lock in great prices from these sites
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 January 2019 via mobile

We stayed there 6 nights. The room was very clean, there's a bus shuttle to CBD and for a cheap price also to the airport.
The boss, Wayne, and his team are very nice, give you tips for tours (e. g. Barrier Reef) and do all that you've got a nice stay.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Wayne H, Owner at Castaways Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2019

Thanks, I really enjoyed meeting you guys, loved chatting

Reviewed 7 January 2019 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Castaways in two different ways: (1) with our campervan and after we returned it we stayed (2) in a double room. This is why we can review both, and can say: this hostel is perfect!

The hostel is quiet but still full of warm people to have a chat with, it’s huge but still tidy and clean, it’s inviting and very safe.

My girlfriend and I had very much fun with the free Wii-Console with Mario Kart (I always won). Afterwards we always watched Netflix on their given Accounts in the Cinema Room, with a big projector.
There was always something to do, even just to sit down, drink a free slush made by the owner Wayne and have a lovely chat with him.

We can highly recommend this hostel and would stay longer if we would stay in Cairns!

Cheers,
Rami and Olivia

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

It was great meeting you, I really enjoyed catching up with you, always good to share a story, come back anytime

Reviewed 7 January 2019 via mobile

My partner and I stayed in this hostel for a few days and we enjoyed it so much! We stayed in both, van and double bed room, and both were totally fine. The hostel is very clean and has a lot of entertainment opportunities: cinema room with Netflix, Pool, Billard, Wii, multiple games and so on. We never got bored. There’s a shuttle bus for everybody who doesn’t want to walk 20 mins to the heart of Cairns. The stuff is always friendly and very helpful with booking tours and stuff. We had a great stay!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks for staying with us, love our chats

Reviewed 6 January 2019

Nice & quiet place outside the city but still close to city. It has free parking .I didnt really use the kitchen & common areas but they looked good.It could have couple of more toilets but nevertheless wasnt a big issue as such.!! The owners are very friendly & welcoming !!

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed your stay. I have a feeling we didn't show you where all the toilets were as we have 10

Reviewed 20 December 2018 via mobile

I stayed here my first week in Cairns. It is a really cosy and friendly hostel where you feel at home really quickly. The only negative were the beds. Some spirals were sticking out. The owner however told me that they are still working on the hostel and that they are planning on renewing things.
Castaway backpackers hostel is of real good value (I think cheapest in town) and only 15 min walk to Cairns Central. I would reccomend!!

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank jadejansen

Hi Jade, thanks for your review, it was great having you stay with us, I will check your mattress as we bought all new mattresses not long ago, a good comfy bed is so important, and thats why we don't have bunks