All reviews every hour volleyball court free shuttle bar games free breakfast travel desk town centre swimming pool clean kitchen great facilities night market airport australia midnight esplanade tours gilligans
Reviewed 1 April 2018

The room was as you'd expect for a back packers nothing out of the ordinary. the lack of lift and being on the third floor was less than fun... i had to drag my suitcase up all the stairs which the reception hosts didn't bat an eyelid too.

The massive amount of bugs and geckos running around may be a problem for some people. walking out of my room and stepping on to a giant rhino beetle on the last day wasnt exactly a fun experience.

one of the male receptionists was less than helpful as well.. me and two of my friends arrived later than the rest of our party because I had to stop at a and e. we explained the situation and asked where our luggage was and he replied " in the storage cupboard" as if we knew where it was? the attitude was less than necessary after 9 hours on a bloody train and feeling frankly like dog s*** a little less attitude and a bit more help would of been fabulous.

the bath room was a hot sweaty mess constantly. two of the showers where out of order the 4 days we were there. overall not the worst place on earth but the male staff need to sort out their s*** attitudes. all the female staff we came across where more than happy to help us with everything and the sales member was happy to help my friend book on to a sky diving experience.

Not the worst hostel in the world but the one in Arlies Beach was much nicer by far.

Also to get in to town is a hell of a walk and walking in 33 degree heat to get anywhere isn't much fun. having a hostel closer to the city centre would be much better

Room Tip: Stay somewhere closer to the middle of the city if you're walking or unless you want to uber everywhere
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2018

I must start by saying that I didn't actually chose to stay here, it was part of a job package with STA. I DEFINITELY wouldn't choose to stay here.

I'll start with the positives:
- Free regular (ish) shuttle bus to town and reef port.
- Nice large pool.

Now for the negatives:
- We upgraded to a private double room which was very plain, didn't have a table or anything for you to put things on and a pretty poor bed.
- The toilet/showers were pretty shabby. Only 2 or 3 of the 6 toilets/showers in both the men's and women's were even usable. They were either broken, had no paper (toilets) or out of order.
- Three out of six fridges in the kitchen were out of order when we arrived so everyone had all their things piled on top of one another and it would fall out when opened. Staff didn't seem to know or care when these were being fixed when I asked.
- Kitchen was DISGUSTING. It was like a student house. I've been there and done that at university, but never seen such horrible worktops or food splattered in microwaves.
- Staff were friendly enough, but didn't seem to want to be in their jobs. I'm not surprised with what they have to deal with (and have huge respect for whoever cleans THAT kitchen), but is not the customer service you want ideally.
- The place is obviously full of backpackers, but didn't appreciate people loudly singing and shouting in corridors or loud music playing until late.
- The cleaning rotas were slightly odd - who cleans the kitchen at 1pm-2pm when people want to make lunch (Sunday)? Also the bathrooms would get cleaned in the morning when it's likely to be busy.
- Wifi situation was simply awful. No wifi included (already a joke) so you had to either pay or wait until 19:00-21:00 to use it in the bar area and this was super slow/didn't work.
- Our bed sheets still hadn't been changed after the third day (we were staying for 7) so we asked for them to be done in the morning. When we got back after a tour at the end of the day, our dirty sheets were still outside our room and we had no clean sheets on the bed.
- Not the hostel's fault, but just a note to anyone thinking of staying here (why would you?!), there are VERY loud planes flying over very regularly.

I have stayed in places in South East Asia far nicer than this, with better facilities and FREE wifi for a fraction of the price. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

I usually don't review the hostels I stay at but this one was a great surprise. It has probably the cheapest price for a night in all of Cairns with all the great amenities. The kitchen was nice, clean and well stocked (no endless searching for pans or utensils). The pool was very nice, the bar has amazing drink deals, the happy hour is from 7-9 so you can actually take advantage of it. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly. The shuttles run just about every hour to take you downtown, running all the way until 3am! Great for the nights out in town. I loved this hostel and I would stay again, really surprised me how nice it was.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Connor H
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

I was stuck in Cairns for a few weeks because we had problems with our car and we decided to stay at the nomads because with 15$ a night it was the cheapest accommodation in Cairns.
With the free parking it was perfect for us.
Even though it is not in the city (about 30 min footwalk) you can take a shuttle which takes you there for free every two hours during the day.
The staff is really nice and always trying to help when you have any problems.
One of the best hostels I have stayed so far.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Terribly trained rude staff at the front desk, room wasn't clean, wrappers on the floor and bin, open soaps on sink, dirty looking pillows, bad odour, went straight back down to get a refund and was told they dont do refunds by a foreign staff member. Asked to speak to a manager and had to wait half an hour for him to tell me to go and write an email, was not offered a new room or anything of the sort, so we had to find accomodation at 9.00pm at night. Not impressed at all. Was a horrible experience. We went to Bay Village in the end, and it was amazing and all we could have wished for.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple