Stayed 07-Oct-14. Terrible. The hotel rooms have less character than the public lavatories in Mt Isa. Room designer obviously came bottom of their design class in 1986 (the year that decor looks to have been last updated). The rooms have grey carpet, which is getting threadbare in places, and grey walls. There are wheezing taps in the bathroom, and cleanliness certainly isn’t a priority given the horrible icky biological residue spread across the cover of the hotel service directory that’s supposed to welcome us into the room. There’s a hidden step when entering into the room from the hallway which is an obvious trip hazard Health and Safety risk (making the step a small incline or ramp would have been a much smarter idea).
Internet is limited to just the lobby area. A call to reception reveals they have “wired” internet … but it means a looooong trek down to the lobby to get an old-fashioned ethernet cable. And, of course, it means you’re just plain out of luck in the event you’re trying to connect to the Internet from an iPad or Macbook Air whose designers clearly assumed wi-fi would be universal in this day and age. There are no power plugs next to the bed for charging phones and iPads next to the bed (where they frequently double as travellers’ alarm clocks). Cellphone coverage is also patchy - without a reliable 3G signal on our Optus or Vodafone connected devices.
Although the hotel brochures show their scenic swimming pool and artificial beach, we’re dumped at the back of the hotel (Room 272) - presented with a view or trucks parked in a vacant lot. About the only good thing (in my view as a nature-lover) is the nearby colony of bats (Spectacled Flying Foxes) on the other side of the vacant lot. However, the wife isn’t so keen with the animals’ loud screeching and squabbling throughout the day … along with the bat poo on the outside of the building and the small balcony. It’s probably not the best place to leave your towel or swimsuit to dry overnight.
The bed, itself, is large and comfortable - but for what was supposed to be a night of luxury to celebrate a special occasion for me and my wife, the hotel proves to be far below average and plain disappointing. Every hotel where I’ve stayed in NZ, Australia, South America and Canada in the last five years has had wireless internet - which is essential for staying in touch with fields and family (or, or rare occasions) doing some work. I don’t see why Novotel lags so far behind. It looks pretty certain that they haven’t invested in this hotel for a very long time. I’d recommend giving Novotel Oasis a miss. It’s overpriced and there are far better options.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in the heart of Cairns the multi award winning Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort is situated on 2.5 Hectares of tropical gardens and boasts the largest lagoon style pool in the city centre, complete with its own white sandy beach and swim up pool bar. All 314 rooms offer contemporary style accommodation with a small balcony or terrace overlooking the city, gardens or pool. Facilities also include free wi fi (lobby & public areas), 24 hour in balance gym, and Massage Organic Day Spa. The hotel also offers 24 hour room service and reception. Mizuna Restaurant offers buffet breakfast daily and each evening boasts modern A la carte dining. Aqua Bar serves afternoon drinks from 12noon, lunch and light bites by the pool whilst Novo Bar opens at 5:00pm daily for pre-dinner cocktails, evening drinks or night time snack menu. The hotel is within walking distance to the Reef Casino and Reef Terminal and only one block from both the Esplanade including 'Muddy's', Cairns fun, safe playground and parkland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Wotif.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and getaroom.com so you can book your Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Cairns Oasis Hotel Cairns
- Oasis Cairns
- Accor Cairns Oasis Hotel
- Cairns Novotel
- Oasis Resort Cairns
- Oasis Hotel Cairns
- Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort Queensland