2,570 results
All reviewsswim up bara pool view roomgreat pooltour desklarge poolbuffet breakfasttwo blockscentral locationport douglasthe great barrier reefesplanadefoxesduskpoolsidecbdqueenslandtours
Reviewed 12 October 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights, and while it was ok there was nothing overly great about it.

The rate we got was excellent considering it was school holidays and it included breakfast (more about that soon) so I can't say anything negative about the value for money.

We checked in late and we couldn't have got a more disinterested greeting, but it went smoothly until we asked about parking, the desk agent was surprised and somewhat put out by us wanting to use the hotel secure parking, as we wouldn't be using the car very much and the cars parked on the street were covered in bat poo, so for the $7.50 a night we were happy to avoid issues when we returned the rental car.

The room itself again was fine, the size of both the bedroom and bathroom were good. The bed was really uncomfortable, the mattress felt like a really budget piece of foam. The TV reception was awful and all the hotel information had been scribbled on by a child, not an issue but probably shows that the housekeeping staff are not that attentive.

Breakfast was pretty average and so messy it made the hot food look really unappealing, I know the hotel was busy but one or two extra rounds of the buffet by the staff could have really helped. I stuck to toast and cereal. The pool was as nice looking as the promo shots which is a rare thing with hotels, but almost always in the shade so it was freezing. The swim up bar was probably ok, but always occupied by people just sitting on one drink for a really long time so we never got a chance to use it.

The gym would have been better described as a torture chamber, there was no air flow and the air conditioner that was in there was like something out of Faulty Towers and actually made the room hotter! A few fans and an open door to the pool area would make such a difference...lucky the hotel is close to the Esplanade so I just went running outside and even in the Cairns heat/humidity was more comfortable than the 'gym'.

The hotel also seems to be adverse to air conditioning in any of the public areas such as reception/hallways etc, and the reverse cycle unit in the room is not on par to the cooling usually available in tropical locations.

If you are only basing your decision on price then this is a good option, but Cairns is a great place to visit and to make your trip a much better experience I would fork out the extra $50 a night for somewhere that you would actually like spending time in.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingRaider81
Reviewed 12 October 2014

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 11 October 2014 via mobile

Never stay in room 233 ever! Smelt like a musty old laundry. The decorative pillows on the beds smelt like a damp, sweaty sports shirt. The shower head was completely off the wall. 3 single beds squashed into a small room, when it was supposed to be a king room. Dirty laundry carts in all the corridors. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: October 2014
2  Thank Kate08015
Reviewed 11 October 2014

Needed a room before flying out from Cairns just for one night. This hotel ticked all the boxes.

Pros:
Excellent location, you can walk to all the CBD hotspots
Fast, friendly check in
Good sized clean room
Great facilities pool/restaurant
Good food in restaurant and lovely friendly staff
Fast, friendly checkout
Onsite parking ($7.50 per day)
No Cons I can think of.
All round a great place for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2014 via mobile

Beautiful spot. Tucked away a short drive away from the city. Close to the beach and some good bars and restaurants. Friendly staff who gave me as much attention as a couple or group. If ever I'm back in the area I would definitely consider staying here again.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo