Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
ZenHotels.com
AU$140
cindy648
Surrey, United Kingdom
Lovely hotel with great food and fabulous pools
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Feb 2024via mobile
We had a four night stay here in February from a Thurs to a Mon.
On arrival the hotel looks amazing, very pretty. Our room was on the top floor and was one of the rooms not updated yet but it was fine, comfortable bed, clean and in a quiet location.
Was nice to have 3 pools on site, we tried 2 of them. The cafe gave out swim towels whenever you wanted them. The swim up bar was closed for renovations. It was actually quiet in the hotel Thursday and Friday and then it picked up with lots of families over the weekend. The cafe was the highlight, fabulous food there, the pork belly asian salad was 10/10.
Nearby we walked to the botanical gardens.
My only suggestion would be to make the smaller pool an adults only pool as it gets very busy here with families.
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Priceline
    AU$274
3.6 km from Cairns Colonial Club Resort
Pool
Hotel hero image and pool
AU$270
    AU$246
2.7 km from Cairns Colonial Club Resort
View more hotels in Cairns
1,050 results
All reviews homestead restaurant poolside cafe main pool superior room close to the airport reception area hire car great pool family holiday enjoyable stay accommodation playground cbd esplanade
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 February 2024

I travel through Cairns for work on a regular basis and until friends recommended this place, I would vary my choice of hotel for the overnight transit stay. This resort is conveniently located for the airport with spotlessly clean rooms and pleasant, professional staff. Nice food with efficient bar service and the city is only a short taxi ride away. Not sure I would stay during school holidays, as the large kid-focused pool is central to the bar and restaurant area, but I otherwise can't fault this resort and highly recommend it.

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2024

I upgraded my room prior to arrival for a garden view and the room allocated overlooked a car park . I complained and was given another room , which I then had to carry my heavy suitcase and other luggage up and down staircases ( no lifts or porter to help ) to the next room quite a distance away .
The next room did have a view but the patio doors don’t work .
There are several pools with loungers but ZERO shade anywhere to be seen . Considering the weather is a burning 33 degrees it’s no wonder the pools are empty ! Where are the umbrellas they should be standard in this heat ??
The restaurant and pool bars are closed for some reason and I wasn’t aware prior to booking .
So no I wouldn’t recommend this hotel !

Room tip: Find a better hotel !!
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 11 December 2023

A cautionary tale: I can only speak to the business practices of this property not the resort itself. I made a booking via the Virgin (Rocket) platform in May (for a stay mid July) but cancelled on June 19. I was then charged in July ca.$140 for a "no-show". When I enquired as to why they said it wasn't cancelled, despite me having screenshots to prove it. They said the booking was "supported" by booking.com, nothing to do with them - i had zero correspondence with booking.com. At no stage did Rocket, booking.com or Colonial Club ever send me a booking/reservation reminder. Why not? What hotel does not send a reservation reminder? When I asked them to reconsider, I received a response which equated to "too bad, so sad". As neither Rocket, nor Booking.com, nor the hotel claims to be responsible for the booking, I have now lodged a complaint with the ACCC

Date of stay: July 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Mike B
Hotel Management, Sales at Cairns Colonial Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2024

Dear Mike
When booking through a third party they sometimes on sell your booking, in this case they have on sold to booking.com, this is why we recommend booking direct.
The booking was not cancelled by your agent, which resulted in a one-night charge for not showing up on the 16th July. When you contacted our reservations team on the 3rd August after not showing up we have offered a full refund as long as we receive a cancellation from your agent. To date we have not received a cancellation.

Reviewed 3 December 2023

We found this resort to be a bit dated, it would have been fantastic in its heyday in the 80s though. Our room which was on the second floor was one of the 'better' or the upgraded rooms as we were informed by the staff member booking us in. As there are no lifts, I had to lug the heavy bags up the stairs as my husband was unable to help having had surgery 5 weeks earlier. We were not offered any assistance with the bags even after I explained this to the staff at the check in desk who seemed very uninterested. The Thirsty Flamingo poolside bar/dining restaurant and pizza cafe on site were the main attractions for us along with the 'quiet' pool area which was near our room. This resort is more geared up for families so that the kids can spend their time in the large pool while their parents can sit back and enjoy their drinks and still be able to keep an eye on their kids. I don't recommend this resort for couples but do recommend it for large groups travelling together or families. We had a hire car which was needed due to the resort not being close to Cairns main town centre. There are Uber drivers and taxi's readily available though. The plus for me was the daily room cleaning with nice fluffy white towels and tidy room when we returned from a days outing. Unfortunately, the bed wasn't comfortable.

Room tip: If you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, this may not be the place for you.
Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2023

Excellent value. We are seniors, and this is basically a family resort, but we found it to be a very pleasant place to stay. Nice rooms, good staff, good facilities. So even if you are as old as us (late 70s), don’t assume it is unsuitable for you: it isn’t.
A most enjoyable stay. If we are ever back in Cairns, we will stay here.

Room tip: We were here in November. Perhaps high season for kids is a bit different.
Date of stay: November 2023