2,846 results
All reviews horizon club club room north restaurant horizon room one bedroom suite the great barrier reef tour desk an upgrade pool area is shopping centre fantastic location bit dated reef terminal buffet breakfast balcony canapes concierge
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

After spending four nights in Cairns, I can honestly say that this is by far the best spot to stay.
We booked a Horizon Club room and thoroughly enjoyed all the benefits that brings. The evening happy hour was always something to look forward to.
The room we were first given after check in was disappointing. I had really been looking forward to a marina view and this room looked over rooves and trees obscured any kind of water view. I rang reception and was very pleased when they offered a room change. That really made our trip and we loved sitting out on the veranda both in the morning and late afternoon, watching the boats.
Staff were very pleasant but I do agree with other reviewers that there are just some small details that prevent this from being a five star review

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
NicODonnell, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Dear Sandraselga,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with here at Shangri-La. I am delighted to read you had a most enjoyable time and made the most of our Horizon Club. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

I don't know what it is with Cairns hotels lately but most of the high end hotels I've stayed in recently are in a dire need of a refurb.

The Shangri-la Cairns is no exception. Once a beautiful plantation style 3 story property (The old Radisson on the Pier), the attached shopping and dining precinct was buzzing with activity. Now the shopping centre is half empty, they have converted the mezzanine into additional hotel rooms and some of the restaurants aren't worth this high prices.

The rooms reminded me of the Sheraton Lagoon in Bali about 20 years ago. Clean and well presented but a wonky shower door, poor drainage, lack of power points next to the beds, lack of central lighting controls left a 5 star rating wanting more.

Requesting a king size bed does you know good as I had to roll over the middle speed bump continuously during the night. That's because they zip two single beds together to make a King. Very uncomfortable. Ask room service to make the bed with a thick comfort underlay which will help.

Speaking of beds, what hotel doesn't tuck the end of the bed sheet in? I felt like it was just laziness but no, that's the way they make them! As soon as I got into bed and pulled the sheet up, my big feet stuck out the other end!

Lastly, the in-room mini bar was a bit of a joke. About 4 bottles of various soft drinks, and the same in beer. Not 2 of anything and the only food was a packet of cashews and a small chocolate bar. Not happy after a long day and no lunch.

The breakfast at North restaurant was okay with a fantastic marina view but a distinct lack of breakfast seating.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
NicODonnell, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2016

Dear Travis W,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments although I am very disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. I really appreciate your constructive feedback and we will certainly be taking your comments on board and looking at how we can improve in various areas. I do hope that we may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Shangri-La the next time you are visiting Cairns.

Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

I have had the good fortune to stay in Shangri-La hotels before. This is not one of their best efforts, though it is still a good place to stay.

First of all, some reviewers have noted the dated nature of the place. This is true, yet it is equally true that the hotel is not cleaned and maintained to a luxury standard. Mildew on pool chair cushions, outdoor brick patio areas (especially by the pool bar/ping pong table) that need pressure washing, weeds in walkway/patio cracks, wood surfaces and louvred doors in the rooms that need a detailed cleaning, etc. I could go on. These are not major issues, yet not nit picky either. This is not a budget motel. Even without your white gloves, you will pick up on these types of issues.

Beyond the cleanliness, the room furnishings (including the mattress and a large floor lamp in my room whose shade looked like it had been in a boxing match with a kangaroo) are due a refresh. Wine glasses would also be nice.

There are some great things here that make what is an average property very good:

1. The location is superb. Right on the marina where most charters depart (and a couple of nice restaurants are located), the Shangri-La is also a stones throw to the town tourist scene, esplanade, and casino.
2. The rooms are reasonably large by hotel standards. Some have marina views and others have semi-private patios surrounded by lush tropical vegetation. The bathrooms have a large tub, as well as a separate shower.
3. The pool, while not heated, is large and has a couple of smaller sections for children. It closes at 8 p.m. and is lighted beautifully at night. There is a rather small and unkempt, yet functioning bar area as well.
4. Underground parking is available for $20 a day. The parking is convenient to the hotel elevators and easily accessible from the street by car.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
NicODonnell, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2016

Dear mbc421,

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay us. I thank you particularly for the comments on the general cleanliness and will be sharing these with our Executive Housekeeper for her follow up with the team. I do agree that is the little things such as these that can really let a property down and as such, we will certainly be tightening up on our processes within the department. We do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back should you be travelling to Cairns again in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

I checked into a horizon club room and it was spot on as soon as I opened the entry door. The view of the marina was very relaxing and the balcony to sit on was very peaceful. You could people watch or chill out! The room had large floor to ceiling glass doors that both pushed back allowing for the fresh air to flow in.

The bathroom was very large, plenty of bench space, a good size bath and shower. The water pressure was great as was the hot water!

The pool was lovely although there could've been a few more umbrellas to sit under. The pool cocktails were also refreshing!

The horizon club breakfasts and afternoon snacks were fresh and plentiful (except one evening). A Nespresso machine was available as well as a fresh juice machine.

I ordered desserts for rooms service and they were well proportioned, and we're definitely on the larger side! Which was greatly appreciated!

We also received fresh fruit and a bottle of champagne to our room as a surprise welcome gift!

I would thoroughly recommend the Cairns Shangri-La for business or pleasure.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Dear shony13,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay with here at Shangri-La and am particularly pleased to read your feedback on our Horizon Club. We very much look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself headed to our beautiful region.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

I stayed in a an horizon club room for three nights this week. It is a pretty nice room with a beautify view towards the pier. Even though this might not be my favorite Shangdi-La hotel in the world, but it is quite a nice choice to stay in Cairns. The horizon club is one of the best hotel Lounge I have ever experienced in this country, they always have plenty nice alcohol beverage and delicious food, which makes the club room more valuable.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank Yuhang_He

Dear Yuhang_He,

Thank you so very much for your lovely feedback following your stay with us here at Shangri-La. I am delighted to read your comments about our Horizon Club Lounge and agree it is a wonderful product. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you are visiting the Cairns region.