“well appointed suites”

Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Horizon club level lounge sufficient for breakfast, not so great for evenings. Needs a better food offering.

Longest corridors in the world!

Lovely rooms, modern with high ceilings and huge sliding doors.

Staff as others have said are very friendly and professional.

Pool area needs updating.

Room Tip: harbour views are the pick
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank thejoth

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I recently attended a convention in Cairns and spent 3 nights at the Shangri-La.
From the moment I arrived to the moment I left I couldn't find fault with a single aspect of my guest experience.
The hotel location is close enough to walk to everything in just a few minutes, but far enough out of the bustling centre to enjoy some much needed serenity.
The rooms were a pleasant change from the "me too", bland, boring typical hotel room decore. Nice timber touches and accents to give it a "Colonial" feel. The view overlooking the boats bobbing in the Marina and the cruise ships entering the harbour was stunning.

Perhaps most impressive though were the staff. Unfailingly curteous, friendly and helpful without exception.
One of our delegates was celebrating her birthday, so we booked a table for dinner at the signature restaurant "North". Great spot on the terrace, overlooking the marina. Sometimes a large group can overwhelm the waitstaff and the kitchen. Not this time. A la carte for 11 people, 3 courses, 5 different wines and never the slightest hiccup. Food was outstanding, service impeccable and the chocolate birthday cake was the most sinful thing I've ever seen, let alone eaten.

I'll be back. I don't know when, but I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina view room if possible
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank skiguy099
George W, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are truly blessed with our location – it is unbeatable.

Excellent to hear you all had a great dinner in North - we have a terrific team there. Also pleased to know your friend had a memorable birthday.. and I saw the chocolate cake you are talking about – sinful is putting it mildly!

Look forward to welcoming you back again when next you are visiting Cairns…

Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

Definitely the most friendliest staff I've ever met in any hotel I've stayed in. Both my husband and I are regular travellers. Fortunately this time round our mystery hotel was The Shangri-la hotel. Very happy because we've always stayed at the sebel hotel but having now experienced The Shangri-la we've now found our new home away from home. Our room was simply beautiful. The rooms maintained and detailed well. The front desk staff always helpful. The duty manager Chris was always approachable and happy to assist. Chris recommended North Restaurant that evening and we were given such magnificent service. We ordered the Seafood Tower and were simply blown away how presentable, so tasty it was. The scenic views and delicious food and wine was complimented by exceptional service. We received a complimentary glass of house wine to drink while we waited for our meals. Everything seemed so perfect. It was a perfect night. Perfect food. Sensational staff. The restaurant and bar manager is fantastic! It's clear to see her passion for people and her job. It felt like we've known this lady all our life. All staff were great. We will tell all our friends and family about this hotel, the staff and your restaurant & bars. Thank you to everyone at The Shangri-la hotel for giving us the best experience.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you so very much for your lovely comments about Chis and Illy, our Restaurant & Bar Manager. They are both great ambassadors for excellent customer service and are constantly finding ways to delight our guests.

It is also great to know that your “mystery hotel” has turned into your regular home in Cairns and we hope to see you both again very soon…

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I took my partner to Cairns for a surprise birthday present. I wanted to make the occasion special, so I booked seven nights at the Shangri La as it had really excellent reviews.

We arrived early in the morning, knowing that check in wasn't until afternoon, however they kindly got us in our room and were very helpful.

I booked a harbour view room and it was great. It was spotless, spacious, and the view was fabulous, we really enjoyed having a drink on the balcony watching the boats come and go.

Overall the hotel was great; the pool was lovely, the location perfect, the gym and day spa were great and all surrounding restaurants in the Pier were perfect.

I had two points which unfortunately stop me from giving 100% positive feedback:

1- the first three days of our stay our room wasn't getting cleaned until 5.00pm-5.30pm. This was annoying as we'd be out for most of the day, and get back to a unmade room. This then meant that when room service came, we had to leave the room, or hide out on the balcony. However this was easily fixed when I spoke to reception and they put us first on the cleaning list.

2- One day we got back to our room, ready to shower and head out for dinner and we had no towels in our room. We called room service and they informed us that they were still waiting on laundry and they didn't have any towels to give us. Two phonecalls later they finally delivered towels. It wasn't too drastic, just a bit disappointing for a five star hotel.

Overall our week at the Shangri La was thoroughly enjoyable, we would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlexinKal

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and what a great birthday present for your partner!

It was great to read your comments on the room and our location. Our Marina view rooms are the perfect vantage point to watch the world go by each afternoon!

I have spoken to our Executive Housekeeper regarding the 2 points you outlined in your review. I do apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to you both and I can assure you that measures have been put in place to avoid such instances occurring again.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in our beautiful region!

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed here part work part holiday - the function food and drinks were average but Ba8 dinner and the rooms were lovely.
Rooms are not huge but large enough.
Good water pressure and nice hot water in bath and shower
Great views out above the marina
The room was quiet and comfortable bed and pillows.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank FoodieGTC

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is disappointing to hear that the function catering missed the mark and it is something that has already been discussed with our Chef.

It is great to hear though that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay. We do hope to have you back again soon and hopefully this time it will all be holiday!