Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
2,756 results
All reviewshorizon clubclub roomnorth restauranthorizon roomone bedroom suitethe great barrier reefpool bartour deskan upgradereef terminalshopping centrebit datedfantastic locationbuffet breakfastcanapesbalconyconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights and although an older hotel that perhaps is in need of the modern facelift that so many Shangri-La hotels have received in recent years, this one makes up for it with it's exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with a truly welcoming smile, not one put on to please the guests. The rooms were of a good size and ours had a lovely view of the marina. They could just do with a bit of updating. Lovely pool to unwind around though.
The hotel does have a good location on the marina and is well catered for by a large selection of restaurants. I would recommend upgrading to the Horizon Club. With this you have access to a private lounge where complimentary breakfast is served, soft drinks and beverages are available throughout the day and between 5pm and 7pm a complimentary bar and snacks are served. Well worth the extra cost. The Horizon Club has it's own dedicated staff who are an absolute delight and really go out of their way to make sure your stay is comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stopped over for a night on our way back from a luxury holiday in the Great Barrier Reef. I found it on Wotif.com and got it for a good price and as it was just one night I didn't have any real expectations.

However, from the moment we arrived all of the staff were amazingly helpful and friendly. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade for AU$40 to a corner room with Horizon Club access. We didn't know what we were paying for but thought we'd give it a go. I have pretty tough dietary requirements and double checked that there would be food I could eat.

We were shown to our room - it was a long way from reception but they did give us two choices, one that was closer but when we asked for their opinion they told us that as long as we didn't mind a bit of a walk, the second option was the better room. So after a bit of a confusing walk but with a very helpful member of staff we found our room. The hotel is a little dated but they have added all the latest technology - nice big flat screen TV, on-demand movies, wi-fi included in the price etc. It had it's own balcony overlooking the Marina with plenty of space, light and amenities.

A knock at the door half an hour later and we had fresh fruit in the room – a thoughtful gesture after my conversation about dietary requirements at reception. We had a light meal and breakfast at the Horizon Club (their executive lounge) which was very nice. Again, super helpful and attentive staff and lots of options to choose from.

It’s nice to walk along the Marina and there’s bars, cafes, shops and restaurants right outside – a great location. It was a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport (about AU$35). They have an outdoor swimming pool which was great (but cold as it was March) and the table tennis was good for a laugh!

So if you don’t mind slightly dated décor but great service and value for money – this is a great option. I don’t usually write a review for a one night stop over stay but thought it was worth doing because we were so impressed by the service.

Room Tip: Go for the Horizon Club rooms, Marina view - North Tower
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had the oppurtunity to spend 3 nights here, from the time I had booked in to the time I left the staff where very helpful and courtious, meals in the restuarant where of good quality and the room was large and well presented with a great view of the Bay, all the facilities that this hotel offered well maintained and easily accessable

The location right on the bay with only a 2 minute walk into Cairns City centre was fantastic

I travel at 2 plus times a month with my work and staying here was like being on holiday

I will being going back to Cairns with my family and this hotel is where we will be staying

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Bay
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Have stayed here 3 times. All have been to attend conferences here.
Was very disappointed with our stay last year, with poor service and staff attitudes. However, we put that down to the fact Prince Wiliam & his entourage were staying too!
However, our most recent stay was disappointing too.
The hotel was fully booked & other members of our party had rooms at opposite ends of the hotel. It is a LONG walk to the farthest rooms, sometimes via 2 lifts.
Not child friendly, nor disabled/ elderly friendly either.
Breakfast was chaos. There weren't enough tables and there were long queues. Staff were overwhelmed & flustered.
On the positive side, reception staff were friendly,if overworked.
Wouldn't choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first or second floor, close to the lifts, otherwise, you could be in for a very long walk.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
George W, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Thank you to the author for taking the time to write this review. Guest satisfaction is one of the most important components of our business and it is quite clear that we have not met the expectation of this guest. For that I do apologise on behalf of our entire team.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the guests stay with us further and encourage the author to write to me directly at george.wee@shangri-la.com.

George Wee

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Shangri La Horizon Club from March 6-11 and loved it.
Room:
Bright, large, extremely comfortable bed, large modern bathroom with a beautiful soaker tub. Large balcony overlooking the marina.

Breakfast/evening canapes:
Both were included with the Horizon Club. The breakfast buffet had something for everyone and the evening canapes were a great way to start the evening off with some snacks and a couple of complimentary drinks (beer, wine, cocktails)

Service:
The service at this hotel was amazing. Absolutely no complaints. Every evening there was a turn down service and the staff that came to do it were so lovely!! I especially want to compliment two employees at this hotel.. Richard and Rebecca!! They were so friendly and helpful. They would always stop by our table at the evening canapes to see how we were enjoying our holiday. All of the staff at this hotel were amazing but I just had to mention these two.

Location:
Overlooking the Cairns Marina. A two minute walk to all the shops and restaurants, lagoon and the reef trips (we did 2 of those!). Everything is so close to this hotel. There is a restaurant/bar called Sauce on the pier mall (attached to Shangri La) that did $17 cocktail jugs all the time. They were great!

Pool area:
The pool at this hotel was beautiful. It is very tropical and resort like. It is really big and has a lot of comfortable loungers around it.

We have absolutely no complaints about this hotel at all. Stay here and you will not be dissapointed. We had such a relaxing vacation.

Please feel free to email me with any questions!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple