Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Phillip Field
Lake Macquarie, Australia

Cairns in a nutshell

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Aug 2023via mobile
Cairns is a tourist trap. This is simply another hotel with what appears syndicated rooms where owners want to spend as little as possible and get the highest returns they can. Disappointing that $300 gets you so little in some far flung destination that is expensive to get to with Australian airlines joining these room owners in a race to the bottom.

Our room was tired and weird. Called a one bedroom apartment, it comprised a sliding timber louvred door to create a bedroom in a small space. The eco sensitively packed toiletries reminded me again of the benefits of bringing your own, lest you spend your vacation scratching.

Most of the businesses that were located on the site have closed so it’s a quiet and funereal tone in reception areas. Staff are pleasant enough but it feels to me like a bare bones operation. I’m not coming back.
Date of stay: August 2023
3.3 km from Mantra Esplanade Cairns
Free parking
View more hotels in Cairns
2,573 results
All reviews great location across the road one bedroom apartment city view hotel room reef terminal night market fresh towels good size washer and dryer reception staff great room would stay again the great barrier reef lagoon esplanade balcony
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 August 2023

Great location. Short walk to restaurants and marina. Easy check in. If you have a car, Mantra have car parks, but looked limited.
Room we had was nice with a great view looking over lagoon pool and gardens.

Date of stay: August 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2023

We were a family of four who stayed for 2 nights at the end of July. I chose this hotel because of its location to the marina since we were in Cairns for a boat tour to the outer reef. Our children are teenagers, and when we were given rooms on different floors, it was strange to me, but it was not a bother. The card key given to my children wouldn't work on our floor, but our card key worked for their floor. Again, not a bother, but it was something that made the experience less than expected. The biggest negative for me was the musty smell in the room. The carpet felt damp though it wasn't wet. The great location was not enough to counteract the negatives.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2023

Amazing suite for a family of 5. We all had our own rooms and beds. The apartment overlooked the esplanade pool. The view at night with the Ferris wheel was amazing. Def will be back and highly recommend

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2023

Loved my stay at The Mantra Esplanade. It was so convenient to everything you need in Cairns and having free parking was an extra bonus. They have commenced making changes to help be more environmentally friendly which is good to see.
You do need to be aware the hotel rooms do not get refreshed unless you stay at least 8 nights - I really would have liked one room refresh during a 5 night stay though (and keeping with the environmentally friendly option - I do not mean having towels washed).
Overall - I was very happy and would absolutely choose to stay here again.

Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2023 via mobile

A friend and I stayed here for 2 nights and then a night away and then back for 4 nights.

Location is perfect, the wifi was good and my beds were comfortable.

My disappointment was when we checked in my friend was advised an upgrade to a one bedroom unit from hotel room and my one bedroom upgraded to an Esplanade view. Not having the paperwork on me I hadn’t realised until I looked later that in fact I had booked and paid for Esplanade view. So that was disappointing. Also having asked to be on the same floor we were on different floors. The dining furniture in my room was awful, brown, scratched and in part broken. For $420 a night I could have nearly bought furniture from IKEA which would have looked better. Also the curtains in my room and my friends were off the hooks. I don’t think it unreasonable to expect that not to be the case.

Second visit again my friend was upgraded to a one bedroom but we were on the same floor this time. The furniture was definitely better although my friend said her bed not comfortable but as we were checking out saw a lot of new mattresses being delivered so maybe that problem would be taken care of.

I was also very surprised that if you want your room cleaned if staying for a short stay you have to pay $40 which after paying such a pretty high price for the room is really not acceptable. I am happy to reuse my towels and empty my garbage but I’m not sure how I’m expected to clean the floor with no vacuum cleaner. I pity the cleaner who has to clean up after a multiple occupancy of a few days.

I am a gold member but I was asked to pay for a late checkout until I mentioned that and no free drinks which I thought was included.

As I said lovely location and I would consider staying again if in Cairns but would probably try somewhere else.

Trip type: Travelled with friends