Stayed for three nights in April, downfalls were numerous but not so tragic as to ruin the stay. When we arrived no one was there to help us with our bags. Went to check-in and had to wait for 20 minutes for someone to serve us, at one point a bus load arrived and they were served before us. Also at one point a lady who was not in uniform passed us by while we waited and asked "just waiting to check in?" when we replied yes she just said "shouldn't be much longer" and turned on her heels and walked away...there were free terminals at the counter so I have no idea why it would have been so hard for her to check us in?! When we finally were able to check in with another staff member we were upgraded (due to the fact we have stayed here a few times in the past and probably because we were grumpy by then). We were upgraded to the Executive Floor in a king room, so by then we were happy and enjoyed spending the rest of the day on our balcony watching the downpour. The beds were comfortable, that was a plus.
As we had been upgraded to the executive floor we noted from the in-room guide book that we had access to breakfast & pre-dinner drinks in their top floor lounge. Although not interested in the drinks we were happy to have breakfast included...it's not fancy, not even anything cooked (unless you count a boiled egg), but a piece of toast and a coffee is great in the morning so we were happy. So the first day we went to breakfast, the girl serving was very pleasant and we enjoyed the rest of the day..However, the second day we went to breakfast we were accosted by another older lady who when we told her our room number and surname (as we had the day before) proceeded to tell us very loudly, announcing for the whole room to hear, that breakfast wasn't included in our upgrade??!! When we explained that the girl the previous day had said nothing and that it was clear from the in-room guide book that people staying on the executive floor had access to the lounge for breakfast she let us stay and have the measly piece of toast and coffee....we didn't bother the third day. If I had paid for the executive lounge upgrade I wouldn't be all that impressed.
With regards to the hotel in general they need to do something about the corridors when it's raining, they become really slippery and are a hazard when the typical Cairns rain comes pouring through the middle of the hotel atrium, I would definitely not want older people or children walking the corridors when it's wet. Also the pool bar was never open when we stayed there and the pool has no attendant at any time. It's a shame.
In summary, we didn't not experience anything exceptional and would say that the service staff are pretty average, I'm disappointed that we didn't get the experience others seem to have had from tripadvisor, but I wouldn't go so far as to tell people not to book here if you get a good rate. Beds are comfy, rooms are a good size, bathroom is clean but you would expect that in any Hilton I guess.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the city, the Hilton Cairns hotel is the perfect base for exploring the diverse wonders of this truly unique region, famous as the meeting place of two natural wonders, the Great Barrier Reef and World Heritage Rainforest. Our modern and inviting Cairns hotel rooms and suites are luxurious oases of comfort and convenience, offering pristine new bathrooms and spacious balconies with views of Trinity Inlet or Cairns Esplanade and the unique cityscape and blue-green mountain ranges beyond. Stay connected with the latest technology in the fully-equipped business centre. Enjoy relaxed, alfresco dining at the award-winning Mondo Café Bar and Grill on the waterfront, or discover authentic italian flavours at "Donninis "Simply Italian". Experience modern, tropical, paradise today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hilton Cairns reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Cairns Hotel Cairns
- Hilton International Cairns
- Cairns Hilton International
- Hilton Cairns Queensland