“Relaxing holiday”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We had a very relaxing holiday staying in this hotel. Very well located in the city centre on the harbour. Lots and lots of choices of restaurants nearby, though the bar downstairs which is open to the waterway was a chilling area after a full day of activities. The room we stayed in was refurbished and looking out over the city to the nearby ranges. The staff bent over backwards to ensure your stay was the best.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the comments via TripAdvisor – I appreciate your time. It’s great to learn that you’ve enjoyed your stay and found our central location to be such an advantage – we really are only a short walk to all the key features of this great destination. I’m also very pleased to read that you found the staff to be helpful and assisted you as needed. I realise Cairns is a long way from home but I hope one day we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We had an unexpected stop-over in Cairns and needed somewhere to stay at short notice. The Hilton was the first place we tried (as we have stayed at Hilton hotels previously) and it really exceeded our expectations.

The hotel itself is set up in a resort-style right near the beach in Cairns with a large, inviting lobby area. We had a king size room which was luxurious, with all the fit-out and amenities you would expect from a Hilton hotel. The staff were welcoming and extremely helpful.

We did not have our evening meal at the hotel but both room service breakfasts we ordered were excellent with good serving sizes and variety of items to choose from. The valet parking was very quick and the concierge who collected our car when we needed it was very relaxed and eager to assist us. We had an early morning check-out and the car had already been collected and parked at the entrance for us when we went down to check out.

What really impressed us was that they allowed us to check in early in the morning and allowed us to order breakfast (which usually needs to be ordered the night before), which was delivered within half an hour. The early check in was a relief for us after a rough plane trip and needing somewhere to rest for the day. We would definitely stay here again for any future trips to the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Cairns via TripAdvisor. Your comments are appreciated and are passed through to my team who always enjoy getting such great feedback. I’m very pleased to read your arrival was welcoming and we were able to have you accommodated and comfortable after your unpleasant sounding plane journey. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Cairns when next you travel this way.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I have two favorite hotels in Cairns one being the Shangri La Hotel and this on The Hilton. I have stayed several times in this hotel in 2011 and must say if you choose the right room it is worth it.

The good things
Fantastic refurbished rooms
Great value
Amazing views
Quite and soundproofed well
Fantastic room service meals and surrounding restaurants. Hanuman Restaurant a must!

The not so good things

Almost on every occasion with booking with this hotel prior checking to make sure and requesting a king bed I seem to get two double beds and having to always make my way back to reception to try to get a king bed room just with one bed in it you would think would be easy. Might be a good idea to organise these rooms with more king beds than having two beds in most rooms.

The reception staff are not very friendly or very attentive considering it is the Hilton after all. More attention needs to be paid on customer service and ie carrying of bags etc as it is very slack.
On most occasions I must say the level of cleaning wasn't the best on all my stays glass and walls had greasy hand marks and always dust on the wardrobe doors. Not very good :( please dont let this hotel down management by too much laid back attitude.

Overall though I will most definitely be back even on those couple minor details hopefully that will improve and outshine all the other hotels in Cairns

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank AussieLoneTraveller
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Aussie Traveller,

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review, it’s great to read that you’ve enjoyed your time here in Cairns. I’m sorry there’s been confusion with your bedding allocation and some of the service aspects of your stay. You’ve highlighted some of the key features of the hotel such as our premium location and waterfront views and the dining options we offer.

I hope we can welcome you back to Cairns on your next trip to the Tropical North.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Waking up to an awesome view across the water to the mountains is just one of the pluses of staying at the Cairns Hilton. We selected it because of its great location in town and we were not disappointed. The room was spacious and had its own balcony with comfortable furniture, and quite well appointed.

It's right at the start of the waterfront boardwalk so getting around is as simple as taking a stroll along the waterfront, passing the many restaurants and bars on the way.

The staff were brilliant, very helpful, cheerful and knowledgeable, and we really enjoyed staying there.

So the complaints? Well one is very little indeed - the tiny ants that shared the room with us (and this was on the 7th floor!). There weren't too many of them though, and the bloke at reception said they're really hard to get rid of, so its a minor complaint.

The other issue, and one which may get worse with time, was that there is a new building site next door. They were working on the groundworks when we were there at the beginning of March 2012, so depending on what they are building, there could be quite a few mornings when guests wake up to the sound of building activity. Bummer if you want to sleep in.

Room Tip: Get as afar away from the building site as possible (eastern wing).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scrib310

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review, I’m very pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay especially finding the waterfront location ideal. There are, indeed, works being conducted in the space adjacent to the hotel – this is a Waterfront Foreshore redevelopment being conducted by local authorities. The works are all at ground level so there is no impact on the views from the hotel. These works, when complete, will provide a new Foreshore with seating, walking paths and facilities along the way. It will be a great asset to the area. I hope we can welcome you back to the Tropical North on your next visit.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Oh oh Hilton, you let me down! From the get-go I knew I was flogging a dead horse. My welcome saw an elderly concierge staff member watch my struggle up 2 flights of stairs with luggage. I'm sure he was enjoying the comfort of air-con!

There were only two check-in staff who weren't enforcing HHonors line and had little help from an office manager who hid behind the wall. Both staff were uninviting and had very poor communication skills. However, my room was ready at 1230pm and in good condition. There was however NO blanket provided in my room. What the?

As expected, it was a typical Hilton Exec room however was looking quite tired with furniture damaged and a downlight hanging out of the ceiling!!! Don't count on having a superb experience at the exec lounge with an underage individual trying to enforce RSA on a group of 30+ Sixty+ Year olds! Good luck with that one :) Wine was pour yourself but spirits were strictly let the ONE staff member poor for 30 others. The wait in itself was enough to drive you to the terrible selection of BRUT. Yikes! A silly Nora Jones soundtrack was playing which did nothing for the dismal mood. The whole lounge is in desperate need of a refurb! Have a look at Hilton Surfers Paradise...

On top of this, there were none less than 5 buckets scattered around the lobby as the roof was leaking. Yikes! I would probably recommend walking across to the Pullman.

GM, check out your staff service standards (minus housekeeping) and get back to me.

Room Tip: Executive floor a must - with "ocean" views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Jourdan L

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review. I’m sorry to read you found your stay poor and lacking in service standards. Your comments have been passed to the appropriate Team Leaders for review and appropriate action. I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back and demonstrate the service levels for which Hilton is renowned.