“Old property, terrible staff, overpriced.”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Gold Coast
“Old property, terrible staff, overpriced.”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Oh oh Hilton, you let me down! From the get-go I knew I was flogging a dead horse. My welcome saw an elderly concierge staff member watch my struggle up 2 flights of stairs with luggage. I'm sure he was enjoying the comfort of air-con!

There were only two check-in staff who weren't enforcing HHonors line and had little help from an office manager who hid behind the wall. Both staff were uninviting and had very poor communication skills. However, my room was ready at 1230pm and in good condition. There was however NO blanket provided in my room. What the?

As expected, it was a typical Hilton Exec room however was looking quite tired with furniture damaged and a downlight hanging out of the ceiling!!! Don't count on having a superb experience at the exec lounge with an underage individual trying to enforce RSA on a group of 30+ Sixty+ Year olds! Good luck with that one :) Wine was pour yourself but spirits were strictly let the ONE staff member poor for 30 others. The wait in itself was enough to drive you to the terrible selection of BRUT. Yikes! A silly Nora Jones soundtrack was playing which did nothing for the dismal mood. The whole lounge is in desperate need of a refurb! Have a look at Hilton Surfers Paradise...

On top of this, there were none less than 5 buckets scattered around the lobby as the roof was leaking. Yikes! I would probably recommend walking across to the Pullman.

GM, check out your staff service standards (minus housekeeping) and get back to me.

Room Tip: Executive floor a must - with "ocean" views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jourdan L
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review. I’m sorry to read you found your stay poor and lacking in service standards. Your comments have been passed to the appropriate Team Leaders for review and appropriate action. I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back and demonstrate the service levels for which Hilton is renowned.

John Lucas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is my first review on Tripadvisor.

My husband and I just got back from two nights in Cairns for our anniversary and we enjoyed our trip so much. We visited Green Island, took the Scenic Railway and Skyrail and drove to Port Douglas.

For accomodationm we stayed at the Hilton Cairns, in the Executive Floor Room, with access to Executive Lounge for breakfast and evening drinks/canapes.We have to tell you that Bonnie, who worked at the Lounge in the evening, was very good. Other couples that we bumped into at the Lounge, also thought so that she is such a good employee. She had an "issue" with one guest while we were there (a family of three), but we don't think it was her fault (we noticed what happened). Those people were just not "nice" and such "difficult/annoying" customers. So, please the Hilton Manager, if you heard any bad feedback about her, just ignore it. We (and two other couples at the lounge) had great evenings at the Lounge and she was just a gem, providing us with excellent service and manner

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KP1509
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review via TripAdvisor, I appreciate you taking the time. I’m very pleased to you read that you’ve enjoyed your stay both in the Hilton and the Tropical North. There is so much to do in this great destination; it looks like you’ve covered a few of the highlights. The Executive Lounge was a good choice for you. Bonnie is a valued member of the team and handles challenging moments very well – I appreciate your comments.
I hope we can welcome you back when next you holiday in the Tropical North.

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This was my second time staying at the HIlton in Cairns and it was enjoyable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, promptly assisting us with every request. It's not a top tier resort hotel in my opinion, but does keep much of the expected service and quality one would expect from Hilton. The breakfast buffet is fantastic.

Room Tip: Harbor view is better than the other side.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor review for Hilton Cairns. I’m very pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay especially the service provided by the dedicated team here at the hotel. I know you’ve travelled a long way but hope you’ll have the opportunity too return to the Tropical North on another holiday.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed 3 nights in Cairns at the Hilton. The hotel is nicely located and is easily accessible to the ferries taking tours out to the Great Barrier reef. We really enjoyed our daily breakfast buffet each morning and their tour desk was helpful in planning our trips.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of Hilton Cairns via TripAdvisor. It’s great to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay especially noting our great location right on the Waterfront, just a short stroll to the Marina and the departure point for the Great Barrier Reef cruise boats. I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the breakfast service and found the team to be helpful – local knowledge is so important when you’re visiting a destination for the first time. I hope we can welcome you back to the Hilton when next you travel our way.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Major building work outside hotel starts at 7 am and on day I was there they started selling in room above me at 8am. Add ti this that Internet did not work in my room, that I was told we would hv fee breakfast at check in as hh gold (I did not ask for this) but when went ti breakfast was told this was not case. All in all a shabby looking noisy hotel - its odd because when you book a Hilton you expect done sort of basic level of comfort.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank rrlondon500
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your commentary – I’m concerned to read you did not enjoy your stay. The noise that you refer to is earthworks on the Waterfront Foreshore being conducted by local authorities, the result of which will be a new premium Waterfront space for guests and the general public to enjoy. I’m sorry for the confusion with your breakfast – Gold Hilton Honors guests receive an upgrade to the next available room category and the choice of either 1000 Hilton Honors Bonus points or Complimentary Continental Breakfast.