“Wonderful”

Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Aalborg, Denmark
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This place was absolutely amazing!
After staying in a horrible hostel, this was exactly what we needed. a bit of luxury!
Great service, great location, fantastic rooms, and comfortable beds.
The 'garden' in the middle of the hotel is beautiful :-)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank adventuresofanja
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Hi Anja B,

Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate the time you have taken to review our great hotel.
I am glad to hear that you received great service and enjoyed our fantastic location, beds & our beautiful indoor rainforest.

I am sure you enjoyed the perfect weather we have been having here too.

If your travels bring you to far north Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns,

Warm regards,
Matt Rippin & Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here for several nights on a recent trip to FNQ. My first impressions were not good. We arrived late on a Saturday night so I was glad that they had 24/7 reception but I had trouble understanding the girl behind the desk as her accent was very strong. We frequently encountered foreign backpackers working in restaurants who were sometimes hard to understand, or they had trouble understanding us, but I was surprised to encounter this problem in a hotel of this standing.

On entering our room, it smelt musty and we thought that perhaps it had not been used for a while, but we soon learnt that this was normal because every time we entered the room we experienced the same smell. After a while it wasn't noticeable, or maybe we just got used to it. I understand that in the tropics, constant humidity can affect fabrics, etc so I didn't complain.

However, my biggest whinge of the night was the music blaring from the RSL Club directly opposite. It was a Saturday night and they clearly had some live entertainment going on but I wasn't impressed as I was tired and wanted to sleep, but that was impossible till the music stopped sometime after midnight. I decided that if it was repeated the next night, I would ask to be moved to a quieter room, however it didn't happen again. I am a light sleeper and cannot sleep when there is noise of any kind. Even the fan of the AC kept me awake, so the next night I turned it off and slept with the balcony door open which wasn't much help as the birds and the traffic in the early morning was enough to wake me shortly after 6am!!

But as the days passed, I got used to it. What I didn't get used to was the size of the bed. When I was looking for a hotel in Cairns, I noticed that many of them just had double beds which I thought was a bit strange as queen size beds are pretty much the norm these days. I chose this hotel because it offered "extra large double beds" in their slightly higher priced rooms and I hoped that this might be Queensland-speak for a queen size. However, I was wrong! So my quality of sleep for the whole stay was not good. I'm really surprised that in a warm climate, they don't offer larger beds. I don't think I've ever come across a hotel before which only has double beds. Once we moved to Port Douglas into a room which had a queen size bed, I slept like a log every night!

The room size was adequate and the balcony was a good size too, though the bathroom was small and they need to install larger shower screens as the floor got wet every time the shower was used.

I cannot say much about the service because we didn't use any of the hotel facilities, so didn't experience any good/bad service. I understand they offer a good buffet breakfast but at $25 a head it was going to be a waste of money for me as I am a light eater in the mornings.

The location of the hotel was very good, in regards to foreshore, restaurants, etc. We didn't have trouble walking to anywhere. The layout of the building was nice too, with the ponds and palm trees in the centre atrium but would I stay there again? I don't think so. Unless of course they get bigger beds and the RSL gets sound-proofing!

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from Florence Street if you don't want to be woken by early morning traf...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wotsaheaven4
Hi wotsaheaven4,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, I appreciate the in-depth comments and your honesty.

I apologise for the loud music from the RSL, we are more than happy to room move our guests should there be another quieter room available to ensure you get a great night sleep. Our beds are in fact king size beds.

Our engineering department has recently put feedback forms into each guest room to gather feedback on our air-conditioning systems and ensure that they are maintained and functioning properly.

If your travels bring you to far north Queensland in the near future we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns

Warm Regards,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night before heading out to the reef on a multi-day dive trip. The rooms were very roomy for our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) and our 6th floor room had a great view of the mountains and the reef fleet marina off in the distance. We arrived before official check in but our room was ready, so we dumped the luggage and walked along the waterfront to find a restaurant for lunch. Our dive shop was picking us up early at the hotel entrance so we opted for the hotel buffet breakfast for convenience. You get a break on price if you buy it in advance during check in. Desk staff and concierge were very friendly. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hi OnTraveler_8,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, I appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that the room was spacious enough for your family.

The views from our mountain/ocean view rooms are very relaxing. It’s nice to watch the boats come in and out of a morning and afternoon.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Cairns and this great weather we have been having, if your travels bring you to far north Queensland in the near future; we look forward to welcoming you to the Holiday Inn Cairns.

Warm Regards,
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The Holiday Inn was located only a step from the beach and Harbour and tours. The room was spacious and the meals in the restaurant was excellent. There is a bottle store attached to the hotel, which had most drinks available for sale. We walked to our Reef tour boat, about 5 minutes walk.

You are located in the heart of all the places to eat, drink and if you want there is even a Casino within walking distance.

Room Tip: Get towels from the downstairs before going on the reef tour, and get towels for the pool. They hav...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hi Harley B

Thank you for such a nice review.

We are so lucky to be located in a prime location, right on the Esplanade, you are right, everything is within minutes walking distance.

The bottle shop is handy for those warm afternoons by the pool when you want to enjoy a beer or a wine.

If your travels bring your to far north Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns

Warm Regards
Anglesea, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Cairns Casino Hotel on our way to Cooktown but it was booked out on our way back. So we stayed at Holiday Inn instead. The difference in price, including breakfast, was $20 but the difference in standard was huge.In both cases our room faced the street but Holiday Inn windows allowed in far more traffic noise. As all rooms have doors into the atrium, we were woken by a drunk banging on our door, obviously unable to read the numbers.Our room smelt musty when we arrived so we opened the windows for few hours but it made no difference. We suspect the carpet needs replacing. The bathroom was tiny and basic. Breakfast was adequate but not great. For the little extra it costs, stay at the Casino and be pampered. If you want less, then there are cheaper options available.
The gardens are very nice and the bed was comfortable.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear sharptraveller3,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the carpets have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Janice A