“It makes me wish I was German :-)”
Review of Bavarian Beerhouse

Bavarian Beerhouse
Ranked #160 of 596 Restaurants in Cairns
Price range: USD 0 - USD 37
Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“It makes me wish I was German :-)”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The staff are friendly, the food goes great with beer, and I love it. Great lunch.
I'll be Bach :-)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
cairns
“disapointed”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Looked forward to dinning at the Bavarian beehous, german food being one of my husbands favourite .
The beer and waitresses were very good the food disapointing unappealing , a table had been booked inside however on arrval we were put outside with a very noisy and clearlytipsy crowd next us making any attempt at conversation impossible.
I have travelled to Germany and Austria on more than one occasion and found the food tasy and appealing not so in Cairns.
I would not return.

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank caseyp
Cairns, Australia
“Yummy yum yum”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Very lovely food and service and the chef is rather attractive. :)

• Visited January 2012
Cairns, Australia
“Really Disappointing Experience....”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We have been excited for some time to try the Bavarian Beerhouse since in opened in 2011. We have spent some time in Germany, from Frankfurt to Berlin and down to Munich into Austria and had many food experiences from home cooking to festivals and beer-houses to street vendors. Pork Knuckle and Currywurst have to be 2 of my favorite foods, and I love the vinegary traditional potato salad as well. So we definitely made time to visit on Thursday for lunch (Currywurst and Potato Salad was their lunch special).

It wasn't particularly busy, maybe 4 other tables and the one server was quick to provide water and menus. We chose the special and began our 30 minutes wait for our 2 meals. We waited in anticipation, the other diners meals seemed generously proportioned and looked inviting.

Finally our two meals arrived. The first thing I noticed was that the potato salad dressing had split and left an oily residue around the plate. On trying the salad it did seem overly oily and didn't have a pleasant texture in the mouth. Unfortunately the currywurst didn't please us any better. It seemed as though the bratwurst had been cooked a lot earlier, cut, and left sitting to be reheated on order. My guess is that the brats came from Byrnes meats (a local distributor). They were too spongy, yet dry and the masterfoods tomato sauce and curry powder mixture seemed too sweet. As everything seemed precooked, we were left to ponder...Why the half an hour wait??

As dining is an overall experience and not just about the food, I will mention that table runner was crusty with dried food (we did see the server changing these, I guess she missed one). Some of the decoration postcards and pictures are peeling off the wall as well- It suggests to me a lack of overall attention to detail. I would suggest hiding the entrance to the kitchen a little better as well....seeing the chef scratch himself then touch food is unappetizing for diners.

The positive for us is that we tried the food as 'specials' so we only wasted $19 and not any more! We are locals and we won't be back. What a shame.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Justaddbacon
New York City, New York
“My first time at a German restaurant; would eat there again”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I was visiting a German friend who lived in Cairns and he insisted we go for some real "German soul-food". Admittedly, I had no idea what was on the menu; fortunately, Tobi, my friend, ordered me a fried pork dish and shnitzel. I wasn't 100% sure what to expect, but the food was rich, delicious, and went well with the Bavarian beer we ordered. I found the food good, the atmosphere nice, and the wait staff very attendant.

• Visited September 2011