Get rewarded with One Key
Jen H
Good location
Review of Freedom Cairns
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 June 2021via mobile
The hostel is perfectly placed best location. Easy to get everywhere in cairns and downstairs is woolies. I had a premium private room. It was very good value.
However the hostel was getting busier with more visitors and and in my view it could now do with a deep clean in the common areas, stairs, kitchen, and all bathrooms. The floors across the hostel need a good scrub and deep clean. The cushions on the balcony for the lounge need replacing.
Also the keys on fluffy key rings for the private bathrooms are extremely unhygienic and should be swapped out for a wipeable key ring or better still the e key operated by phone like the rooms.
The Netflix did not work in the room I had, the back of the remote control was missing and the aircon temp could not be controlled. There is new management so perhaps a detailed audit will be undertaken with these small things being attended to.
Date of stay: June 2021
  • Hotel Website
    AU$184
3.3 km from Freedom Cairns
View more hotels in Cairns
All reviews premium double room private room public pool air con backpackers
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 May 2021

Location is perfect, 5 min walk from the water and a stone’s throw from cafes and restaurants. The staff are friendly and the rooms are recently renovated. One of the better hostels I have stayed in !!

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2021 via mobile

This hostel was super clean and in a really central location. I had a private room and it was a share bathroom but even the share bathroom was super modern and clean. Wouldn’t know it was a hostel. Bed was comfy. Would defo recommend

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 978bamm
Reviewed 29 October 2020

As per the title. I had a confirmed booking and had provided my arrival time. When I got there reception was dark and locked, I rang the buzzer - no answer. The sign said they were only open for private rooms due to covid, which is what I had booked. I rang the 'Emergency' number on the sign many many times, left several messages. Nobody ever showed up. I ended up booking into a hotel across the road who told me I'm not the first person in the last few weeks who's had this experience with Freedom Hostel! Shocking! You need to close altogether and stop accepting bookings at all OR do it properly and actually let people into the hostel when they've booked and be contactable!

Date of stay: October 2020
1  Thank SamBam2585
Reviewed 24 February 2020

AMAZING hostel. Feels like a good hotel. Super clean, big, light rooms. Individual power sockets for each bed with a light, and lockers in each room. Also get an EXTRA PILLOW. This is a small luxury but it was very welcome!! Free tea and coffee any time, amazing free breakfast, free pasta and oil, salt, pepper. GHDs available to use, shampoo, conditioner and body wash in bathrooms. Friendly staff, beautiful common area with terrace and NETFLIX. Pretty chill, social vibe. You can party here if you want, but go back to nice, quiet rooms to sleep. Perfect!
Basically, stay here. It's the best.

Date of stay: February 2020
1  Thank 778RachelC
Reviewed 18 February 2020

Couldn't of been more accommodating to us. There was a mix up with the rooms and we were upgrading making our stay so much more enjoyable. The facilities were so so so good for backpackers. And we were lucky enough to be there on Friday when they cook free burgers !!! The staff were so friendly the friendliest staff I've encountered in any hostel throughout my travels in Australia. The hostel was clean and new and had more of a hotel feel to it! Didn't want to leave after the 3 days. Thanks for everything

Date of stay: February 2020