Open today: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Book In Advance

Start Date
End Date
Tours from Seastar Cruises Reef Day Trips tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Cairns
from USD 155.23
from USD 119.13
from USD 136.46
from USD 155.23
2,350 results
All reviews michaelmas cay sea star fish glass bottom boat their facebook page both locations smaller boat small group noodles snorkel tour second stop stinger suits crew members giant clams life ring personal attention tea coffee
Reviewed 16 August 2015

We oozed this trip due to the great reviews on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. A very clean and comfortable boat where we were greeted by the team , hot drinks and muffins. Regular talks about safety , plans for the trip and fish to spot was a really good idea to pass the journey and the team kept it lively. We also did a dive to 14m on the boat and no one else did this dive, which meant it felt like a private dive on the reef, really nice. They also had a glass boat boat you could go out on.

The lunch was great, hot and cold food and something for everyone.

Finished off with a nice ride back after lots of snorkelling, diving and after seeing a variety of fish, to find they even upload underwater pictures to facebook to view. Brilliant

Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

I went here with my brother and his girlfriend.
When we arrived we were greeted by the captain and signed in. Once we entered the boat we were greeted by other staff who were very energetic, friendly, funny and professional.
The day was explained to is in detail so we knew what to expect.
Once we got to the first site, everything was explained to us again and we were issued equipment which included fins, snorkel, mask, wetsuit (free option), life jacket (free option) and a pool noodle (free option). As it was cold, everyone took a wetsuit and I took a life jacket as I'm not a strong swimmer.
When we were in the water the life jacket worked great! I weigh 80kgs and have a tendency to sink like a rock even with some life jackets, but the one provide kept me floating.
The snorkelling tours were great and the guides did well to point out various marine life and also brought some up so we could see them up close and touch them (star fish and see cucumbers).
Some things we saw included turtles, wrasse, barracuda, trevally, sun fish, sweetlips, schooling fish and some people saw a small reef shark from the boat.
The experience included two snorkelling sites, glass bottom boat ride (optional and runs concurrently to some snorkelling at the second site), morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea and an information session on native fish of the reef.
The experience was fantastic and the friendly and fun staff made it exceptional.
Thank you to staff for making it an unforgettable experience.
My only complaint was that my mask kept fogging and the nose part kept filling with water, which was a bit annoying. I had moustache and beard stubble though and this can impact on the seal. Staff had Vaseline to help create a seal. This works for a while, but not the whole day, so I'd recommend shaving before the trip.
Thankyou again!

1  Thank Andrew G
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

We chose this trip with Sea Star based on the excellent reviews, describing a relatively small and select trip to the outer reef, compared with much bigger groups on other boats. We were not disappointed. From the start the crew were attentive, enthusiastic and friendly and utterly professional. The reef is just over an hour away, and when we arrived, there was already a glass bottomed boat available for those who did not fancy snorkelling or scuba diving. Despite not exactly being the most adventurous family in the world, we had gone for a trial of the scuba diving. This involved a session at the first reef we visited, Michaelmas Cay, in which the 4 of us, were taught the basics and then went for a dive. Seeing the reef from underwater was amazing, so we chose to do the more extended dive at the second reef, Hastings Reef, for the frankly bargain price of $45 per person. This was absolutely fantastic. Whereas in the first dive we four were kept under very close supervision, effectively holding hands for the dive, on this second one we were allowed more freedom, despite not in any way being trained scuba divers. Despite this relative degree of freedom my wife and I felt completely safe in the hands of the dive master, and in particular totally confident in her ability to look after our teenage daughters. This dive was the high (!) point of the trip and I would highly recommend it. Overall, Sea Star was all we hoped it would be-great fun with amazing experience of the reef in a relatively small group offering all the options-glass bottomed boat, snorkelling and scuba. One piece of advice-it is a distance to the reef, effectively out at sea, and if windy can be chilly after prolonged swimming even with the wetsuits provided. Bring dry tee shirts and/or jumper or waterproof for when you get out of the water.

2  Thank andrewk221
Reviewed 13 August 2015

For us Seastar was worth the great reviews, we had a fantastic day with great snorkeling and some nice buffet. I can't recommend taking a trip with Seastar enough. If we come back to Cairns we will go again with them!

Date of experience: February 2015
Reviewed 13 August 2015

Since I chose this tour due to top ranking and nice reviews here, I was disappointed more. The crews were kind and food was good but everything else was just okay or bad. The boat was too small to sail for 3 hours in a rough ocean, so many people got seasick including my family. The worse was they charged seasick pills, 3 dollars per dose, and I think this is terrible. They should have warned about seasick and noticed to prepare medicines. The reefs were not easy to snorkel due to strong current and cold temperature.

9  Thank Jungin K