“Phenomenal day with SeaStar!”

Seastar Cruises Reef Day Trips
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 161.29*
and up
Luxury Outer Great Barrier Reef Island and Reef...
More attraction details
Owner description: Seastar Cruises premium reef cruise combines the outer Great Barrier Reef with a coral cay island. In only 1 1/4 hours the fast air-conditioned Seastar 1 can take you from Cairns to magnificent Michaelmas Cay, the largest of the local uninhabited coral cays. Cruising past Green Island, Upolu cay and Oyster reef Seastar is the first boat to arrive. After an enjoyable time here it is a short 20 minute cruise to the splendid Hastings Reef sitting on the very outer edge. This is where the corals thrive, well out from the coast away from the influence the rivers and streams, adjacent to the clear waters of the Pacific Ocean. You will have 2 1/2 hours at each location. Plenty of time to go snorkeling, do a introductory dive, relax on the beach of the Island or join a tour in the Glass Bottom Boat at Hastings Reef. The day cruise on Seastar inlcudes Morning/Afternoon tea, high quality snorkel equipment, Wetsuit or Lycra suit (depending on the time of year), Glass Bottom Boat Tour, Hot & Cold Buffet Lunch, Reef Interpretation & Guided Snorkel Tours on each spot.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift
Reviewed 17 August 2015

I chose Seastar for my solo snorkel trip in Cairns because of the amazing reviews on Tripadvisor, and it did not disappoint!!! The team was incredible...so knowledgeable, helpful, funny, and energetic! Since it was my first time snorkelling, I didn't know what to expect, but the team made it so fun and comfortable. The boat was very clean and comfortable, with areas to relax out on in the sun. The two locations were great-a bit different from each other, so I felt like I saw a good amount! We also had a reef talk to learn about the reef after lunch, which was very helpful. Again, the staff is very knowledgeable about the reef and all of the creatures that live within it. The tour guides also took us out for the first 20 min or so at each spot to show us the main attractions (turtles, clown fish, giant clams, etc).
The lunch was surprising delicious! After a morning swimming around, the food completely hit the spot and surpassed my expectations of what I thought the lunch would entail.
Finally, what makes Seastar unique is the number of people on-board. They only take about 35 people, which is the perfect size! I got to know a good number of people without bumping into them that much on the reef. I honestly couldn't imagine going out with more people.
Overall, this was one of the best days I've ever had...all thanks to Seastar! Thank you thank you thank you! I'll definitely be back!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,217)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"tea coffee"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed 16 August 2015

We oozed this trip due to the great reviews on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. A very clean and comfortable boat where we were greeted by the team , hot drinks and muffins. Regular talks about safety , plans for the trip and fish to spot was a really good idea to pass the journey and the team kept it lively. We also did a dive to 14m on the boat and no one else did this dive, which meant it felt like a private dive on the reef, really nice. They also had a glass boat boat you could go out on.

The lunch was great, hot and cold food and something for everyone.

Finished off with a nice ride back after lots of snorkelling, diving and after seeing a variety of fish, to find they even upload underwater pictures to facebook to view. Brilliant

Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

I went here with my brother and his girlfriend.
When we arrived we were greeted by the captain and signed in. Once we entered the boat we were greeted by other staff who were very energetic, friendly, funny and professional.
The day was explained to is in detail so we knew what to expect.
Once we got to the first site, everything was explained to us again and we were issued equipment which included fins, snorkel, mask, wetsuit (free option), life jacket (free option) and a pool noodle (free option). As it was cold, everyone took a wetsuit and I took a life jacket as I'm not a strong swimmer.
When we were in the water the life jacket worked great! I weigh 80kgs and have a tendency to sink like a rock even with some life jackets, but the one provide kept me floating.
The snorkelling tours were great and the guides did well to point out various marine life and also brought some up so we could see them up close and touch them (star fish and see cucumbers).
Some things we saw included turtles, wrasse, barracuda, trevally, sun fish, sweetlips, schooling fish and some people saw a small reef shark from the boat.
The experience included two snorkelling sites, glass bottom boat ride (optional and runs concurrently to some snorkelling at the second site), morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea and an information session on native fish of the reef.
The experience was fantastic and the friendly and fun staff made it exceptional.
Thank you to staff for making it an unforgettable experience.
My only complaint was that my mask kept fogging and the nose part kept filling with water, which was a bit annoying. I had moustache and beard stubble though and this can impact on the seal. Staff had Vaseline to help create a seal. This works for a while, but not the whole day, so I'd recommend shaving before the trip.
Thankyou again!

1  Thank Andrew G
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

We chose this trip with Sea Star based on the excellent reviews, describing a relatively small and select trip to the outer reef, compared with much bigger groups on other boats. We were not disappointed. From the start the crew were attentive, enthusiastic and friendly and utterly professional. The reef is just over an hour away, and when we arrived, there was already a glass bottomed boat available for those who did not fancy snorkelling or scuba diving. Despite not exactly being the most adventurous family in the world, we had gone for a trial of the scuba diving. This involved a session at the first reef we visited, Michaelmas Cay, in which the 4 of us, were taught the basics and then went for a dive. Seeing the reef from underwater was amazing, so we chose to do the more extended dive at the second reef, Hastings Reef, for the frankly bargain price of $45 per person. This was absolutely fantastic. Whereas in the first dive we four were kept under very close supervision, effectively holding hands for the dive, on this second one we were allowed more freedom, despite not in any way being trained scuba divers. Despite this relative degree of freedom my wife and I felt completely safe in the hands of the dive master, and in particular totally confident in her ability to look after our teenage daughters. This dive was the high (!) point of the trip and I would highly recommend it. Overall, Sea Star was all we hoped it would be-great fun with amazing experience of the reef in a relatively small group offering all the options-glass bottomed boat, snorkelling and scuba. One piece of advice-it is a distance to the reef, effectively out at sea, and if windy can be chilly after prolonged swimming even with the wetsuits provided. Bring dry tee shirts and/or jumper or waterproof for when you get out of the water.

2  Thank andrewk221