“Amazing Day on the Reef”

Seastar Cruises Reef Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Seastar Cruises premium reef cruise combines the outer Great Barrier Reef with a coral cay island. In only 1 1/4 hours the fast air-conditioned Seastar 1 can take you from Cairns to magnificent Michaelmas Cay, the largest of the local uninhabited coral cays. Cruising past Green Island, Upolu cay and Oyster reef Seastar is the first boat to arrive. After an enjoyable time here it is a short 20 minute cruise to the splendid Hastings Reef sitting on the very outer edge. This is where the corals thrive, well out from the coast away from the influence the rivers and streams, adjacent to the clear waters of the Pacific Ocean. You will have 2 1/2 hours at each location. Plenty of time to go snorkeling, do a introductory dive, relax on the beach of the Island or join a tour in the Glass Bottom Boat at Hastings Reef. The day cruise on Seastar inlcudes Morning/Afternoon tea, high quality snorkel equipment, Wetsuit or Lycra suit (depending on the time of year), Glass Bottom Boat Tour, Hot & Cold Buffet Lunch, Reef Interpretation & Guided Snorkel Tours on each spot.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Took the day trip to Hastings Reef and Michaelmas Cay with Sea Star. It was a perfect trip for a group with varying interests and abilities. I took the trip with my partner and my parents. My g/f likes to snorkel, my parents were first time snorkelers and I am a certified diver. The crew was excellent. They were a very young and fun crew, but were also extremely professional.

Ellen the dive master was wonderful. Very good guided dives and was just the right amount of cautious with you. All their equipment was top notch, and she helped to set everything up for you, which was a huge help for those with no experience setting up equipment on a moving boat.

The food for lunch was also very good. Chicken wings and salads with veggie-bake.

All in all, if you are looking for a nice day out on the reef... Sea Star is head and shoulders above the rest.

There are newer reviews for Seastar Cruises Reef Day Trips

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We booked seastar cruises for our reef day trip after looking at trip advisor reviews. And they did not disappoint! The Seastar 1 has adequate space for everyone on board (max 35 people). Splendid food was served as well - Morning tea with muffins, lunch with plenty of vegetarian options and afternoon tea with choice of cakes and fruits. The equipment is nice and doesn't seem old. The crew is great - especially Fraser the dive master, who made my first ever dive so easy! Worth the price. Highly Recommended!!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Booked a scuba trip as my last day in Australia, was recommended Seastar from my hotel, very glad this was the trip I was on. Great crew, Great divemaster Ellen, I hadn't dived for a few years so was very happy with Ellen taking time for the refresher. The thing that made me especially glad when I got back to port was seeing some of the other boats, I can't imagine how many people they fit on the others. Thanks for a great trip!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Choosing a tour from the many offered posed a challenge. Seastar was recommended by our hotel and did not disappoint. Great boat, friendly knowledgeable crew and excellent food offerings. Chance to snorkel at two locations (outer and middle reef) enhanced the experience immensely. We would highly recommend this tour. It was a great way to start our Australia vacation! Thanks again to the crew for making it so enjoyable :)

Reviewed 2 March 2014

There are heaps of tours to the reef in Cairns you can pick and choose until the cows come home and still be confused...so I'll break it down, what I wanted out of a reef tour.
!/. Minimum numbers on the cruise..100 tops
2/. An operator who knows the area you are going too well
3/. Good explanation of the natural habitat
4/. Good safety
5/. Nice food
6/. Well inclusive tour
7/.Happy atmostphere

Seastar has this, they are not one of cheapest cruise out there, but they are one of the best.

On the cruise we had a marine biologist, who came out with the snorkelers and explained the types of reefs we were going to. She explained the types of fish that would be at the reef and how to approach them without touching them.

On the way home, the crew undertook a mock "Man Overboard Rescue", which was needed for their accredition, but involved all the guests. The things you learn at sea, it isn't easy trying to find people in the water, especially with high waves.
Their safety briefings to the guests were first class, easy explained to understand.
They go to the reef areas on the out limits, but arrive there before the crowds and move onto the next area before the crowds catch on.
A great dog out...we'll be back again.