“EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE”

Seastar Cruises Reef Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Seastar Cruises premium reef cruise combines the outer Great Barrier Reef with a coral cay island. In only 1 1/4 hours the fast air-conditioned Seastar 1 can take you from Cairns to magnificent Michaelmas Cay, the largest of the local uninhabited coral cays. Cruising past Green Island, Upolu cay and Oyster reef Seastar is the first boat to arrive. After an enjoyable time here it is a short 20 minute cruise to the splendid Hastings Reef sitting on the very outer edge. This is where the corals thrive, well out from the coast away from the influence the rivers and streams, adjacent to the clear waters of the Pacific Ocean. You will have 2 1/2 hours at each location. Plenty of time to go snorkeling, do a introductory dive, relax on the beach of the Island or join a tour in the Glass Bottom Boat at Hastings Reef. The day cruise on Seastar inlcudes Morning/Afternoon tea, high quality snorkel equipment, Wetsuit or Lycra suit (depending on the time of year), Glass Bottom Boat Tour, Hot & Cold Buffet Lunch, Reef Interpretation & Guided Snorkel Tours on each spot.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This Seastar Team is both friendly and professional They made our snorkeling adventure both very personal and educational. It was great not being on a cattle boat! Excellent value for the price of admission. Would love to go again when in the area.

There are newer reviews for Seastar Cruises Reef Day Trips

Reviewed 9 December 2012

This is a smaller vessel with a hands on crew. We had less than 30 customers aboard, thus very personalized service. My daughter and I both had paid to Dive twice. As part of the pre dive regulations you have to complete an extensive health history. My daughter completed it honestly stating that she has had issue with asthma in distant past. Currently on no meds. We were told that Queensland Dive rules are very strict and she would not be allowed to dive without certified Australian doctor signing off which of course is impossible as we traveled out to the reef. So word of warning if you have an inactive medical condition check that box no or your dive will be cancelled!
The remainder of the trip was excellent. The snorkeling was in clear shallow waters with coral heads dropping down 10 meters or so to the floor. Equipment provided including stinger suits was all included. Did not see any jellyfish on the reef though.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

After extensive research, my wife and I chose Seastar for our reef visit, and our expectations were exceeded. We went out this morning and were generally impressed on all accounts with onboard and in-water experiences. Anthony, Faith, Vinnie, Pedro and the rest of the crew were extremely friendly and did a great job of catering to our needs, ensure our comfort and safety and teaching us a little about the reef. The snorkel tours were informative and educational, while allowing us to explore the reef at our leisure. Tour guides were funny, but kept those weaker swimmers safe and protected. Food onboard was great, with morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea provided. There was more than enough to go around, and a great selection of meats, salads and breads. Opted out of the glass bottom boat tour, but I don't think we missed much soaking up some rays on the bow of the boat (we saw alot snorkelling anyway). Those smaller boats are very rough on the seas, and they were some more sick people because of it.

On that note, I would strongly suggest the motion sickness pill. A couple of people were sick for the entire trip and I'd imagine, very disappointed. Spend the $3, or come prepared for a little peace of mind

Would also suggest brining sunscreen, drinks (can purchase onboard), hat, sunglasses and towels. Everything else is pretty much provided.

Now the reef would be amazing on any boat, but if you want a great experience with great people chose Seastar. They helped us check the GBR off our bucket list - an experience that will not be forgotten!

Not sure if you can beat the price for the experience anywhere else.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

By choosing a smaller operator we hoped for a more personal experience on the reef. We also wanted to feel safer and individual not part of a herd. Seastar ticked all those boxes and then some. The Crew are fantastic: Happy, friendlly, professional, knowledgeable and laid back while giving the impression of being absolutely in control and on the ball.
I had not been on a boat for 18 years since a ferry I was on capsized in the South China sea but I wanted to be part of my family's experience. Anthony, the crew member who gave the safety talk gave me confidence and made me feel safe immediately, I completely forgot my fears and had one of the best holiday experiences ever. All the crew looked after and out for our sons, 11 and 9, like they were their own.
I thoroughly recommend Seastar for anyone wanting to take a trip to the Reef they will never forget.
Well done Seastar!

Reviewed 5 December 2012

Did the seastar tour with my boyfriend at the end of november and it was awesome - the staff was very nice and helpful, michaelmas cay was beautiful and we got to see lots of fishes (we only snorkelled, no diving)
its a bit pricey, but if you want to be with a smaller crowd, then go for it (max 35 ppl on the boat)
the food is average, but they had lots of fruits and cake at the end :)
i would recommend this tour, however we did the deep sea divers den tour the next day (as we enjoyed our time on the reef so much) and would probably recommend them more, as it was $35 cheaper per person, had the same lunch, same inclusions and the reef they take you to we find had nicer corals (more colors) - however, this boat had a lot of people, so it depends what you want/what youre looking for

1  Thank EliseBG