Review Highlights
Fantastic dive company

My 3 sons (aged 11, 14,15) and I did our open water dive certificates with Pro Dive. We spent 2... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Vanillamiller
Gold Coast, Australia
via mobile
Fabulous open water course

Completed the open water 4 day e-learning 2night live aboard course. The knowledgeable and friendly... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
sharontQ6611DK
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Cairns
from USD 158.03
from USD 130.38
from USD 146.18
from USD 169.89
More Info
All reviews liveaboard trip open water the great barrier reef navigation skills days nights food was great great diving flynn reef an amazing experience every meal these guys diving experience great trip outer reef the reefs special mention fish
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 February 2019 via mobile

From pick up to drop off the whole experience was very good. The check in and out process was reasonably quick and the service on board the boat was excellent. That said I did request a bottom bunk as I had an injury and that request was not passed onto the crew and it was just luck that I got to the cabin before my room mate. I think the bunks should be pre alocated as there was an elderly woman around 70yrs whom unfortunately ended up on the top with a sprightly young diver on the bottom and she was scared to say something. This might help those passengers who might be concerned and then they can then enjoy their holiday. For me the cabin was to small I was up the bow room 18, I had to sleep with my bags on my bed because there was no more than 1m² of floor space. There really is far to many people on board the boat, over 30 divers / Snorkelers, it wasnt so bad because it was sunny except you had very little shade to share but if it was raining which it does you would be squashed in the down stairs galley or your room there's only two areas to lounge

The food was really good, basic but full filling, healthy and pleanty.

I can't say enough good things about the crew (apart from my bottom bunk issue) they were so friendly, funny but most of all professional... They really were a huge asset to the company.

OK the diving.... No Guided Dives! Your on your own with your buddies. You have to rely on you navigation skills to not get lost day and night. It's not as hard as it seems but it does put a dampener on the experience as you want to relax and have fun and not have all the anxiety of getting lost. The sites we went to were pretty straight forward and the crew explained in great detail directions and compass reading.
The actual diving - I have always avoided the GBR for stories I've heard about backpackers and louts destroying the coral and it's a big let down etc... We'll we did go to the outer reef and I can honestly say I saw non of this in fact there was no litter or rubbish or names scratched into the coral at all.. The crew were well vers at stressing about keeping the coral as healthy as possible. No Touching..!! Mind you that didn't stop the only Australian on board preaching his Sea Shepard beliefs (even had a Sea Shepard tattoo! True!) masterbating a sea cucumber and scratching a turtles back. Idiot and not cool!
We went to Milne reef and Flynn reef, well what can I say? To sum it up compared to many other places I have dived, Indonesia Vanuatu, Belize etc the topography was really cool the shapes and types of coral was nice but, simply it's didn't live up to my expectations, the colours weren't as vibrant and there was no where near the amount of marine life as else where. The water was very warm 29-30.c. The visibility wasn't great 5 - 10 mtrs avg per dive but that's mainly down to currents etc. It's still worth a visit and definitely with Prodive but the sites I went to were very very nice but I have seen way better.

I would definitely recommend Prodive but it could be a bit better with less people and dont get put into those two front bow rooms.

2  Thank Scuba2013
Reviewed 24 February 2019

The service is great. I was able to transfer from scuba course to PADI (for a $150 fee).

For the actual dives, we had great weather as well. Sunny skies. The water itself is average 10-15mm most days and occasionally 20m.The instructors are good, each has their own personality. The germinator is more stoic than his counterparts who are more jovial in nature. Meals are provided with plenty of snacks. The best meal? Breakfast with bacon and eggs. The worse meal? Breakfast without bacon.

There is plenty of good to go around so if you hate to see food go wasted, you'll gorge yourself thick. As for the accommodations, I liked it. Two person rooms with single bunk beds inside with enough space to place one large backpack per person. There are six bathrooms so I rarely find myself needing to wait for a shower-toilet. The upper deck is shaded and used by others to dry off or sunbath. Total number of divers outside of the (5 crew members) is 25-ish.

Overall, great crew. Good food. Solid snacks. Plenty of tea and coffee. I would recommend any first time diver to give them a go.

Reviewed 19 February 2019 via mobile

I had a wonderful time doing my advanced open water on the prodive liveaboard scuba pro III. The instructors were all very knowledgeable and the advanced open water instructor Dan was a legend! The food was incredible thanks to our wonderful hostess/ chef June, and Dive supervisor Flo made sure everything ran smoothly. Big thanks also to skipper Warren for getting us safely to and from all the dive sites. I would highly recommend prodive to anyone looking for a great diving experience in Cairns! :)

Reviewed 18 February 2019

I absolutely loved the 3 day liveaboard we did with Pro Dive Cairns. The dive sites were incredible - so much healthy coral, brilliant fish, turtles, sharks! The staff were professional and helpful. The food was great and accommodating to dietary restrictions. The group we dove with was so fun as well. What was really nice about this diving experience is that they gave a thorough briefing of the site on the white board, and then let you explore on your own route, so that we weren't all cramped together following a dive master.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank L B
Reviewed 12 February 2019

Had never done a liveaboard before. We had terrible weather but a great time. The weather can’t be controlled but everything else that could be went very well. We saw everything we were hoping to see, turtles, sharks, large clams and beautiful fish and coral. Leighton was in charge and did a great job running everything. The whole crew was great to work with and were very helpful. I would definitely use them again and highly recommend them.