“What more could you ask for?”
Review of Happy Boy

Happy Boy
Ranked #36 of 5,006 Restaurants in Brisbane
Price range: USD 15 - USD 45
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Chinese food and Boutique Australian Wine, underneath the fairy lit trees on East St Fortitude Valley
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I happen to love Happy Boy and that’s not just because it’s a casual well presented establishment. The people who work there are very relaxed and you’ll notice that by how they greet you. Afterwards, they’ll request that you wait by the bar until the table is ready. We were also able to split the bill.

First things first, Happy Boy is located across from Mercedes in East Street. In recent times it has moved from its former location to a large open space. I’d advise booking ahead to land a seat and the Friday and Saturday nights can be busy. My top 5 things about/at happy boy:
1. Eggplant with pork belly - it’s incredible.
2. Gong Bao chicken - chicken with peanuts always makes me happy.
3. Mapo tofu - she’s a spicy one.
4. The wine - this place has a killer Pinot Noir, in addition to many other great options.
5. The scene - spacious, open and the crowd are generally nicely dressed, happy and after a good time.

I always bring people here if they are from out of town. It’s easily one of Brisbane’s best restaurants when it comes to price (moderate $18-25 a dish), wine, central location and ambience.

2  Thank Mitch D

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Easily the finest meal I’ve had in years, service was excellent , a quick walk from the entertainment hum , great atmosphere

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Recently visited Happy Boy, once with another couple then not long after as a couple.
Food was fantastic both times.
The best fried rice ever!
Sharing is a great way to eat and the meals are very generous sizes!
Lovely staff very attentive,all in all the most fantastic place to eat.
Look forward to returning!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were visiting we’re in Brisbane for the weekend and we felt like som Asian food so drive around and found ‘Happy Boy’ restaurant which offers Cantonese/Hong Kong food.
Luckily we found some parking nearby and went in without a table reservation but Cameron made us feel very welcome and suggested we order some pre dinner drinks at the bar while we waited for our table. The music was happening, the atmosphere was happening, and the drinks were happening!
After only a 20 minute wait we were shown to our table and greeted by a very friendly waiter Julian who was funny, and knew his food.
We wanted to try everything so ordered a few entrees and a couple of mains.
For entree we had the prawn wontons in chilli broth, wow! I could have eaten bowls of this all night, superb, spicy and scrumptious!
We also had duck pancake (the sauce was really good and not as sickly sweet as the Peking duck sauces we’ve tried here in Melbourne), and my husband also ordered the crispy pork sliders which he said was delicious, soft roll with crispy crackling and pork inside.
Then for mains we had the house special fried rice which was different to what we are used to, so very tasty and very nice!
We also had salt and pepper prawns which came with spicy crumbs scattered on top with fresh chilly, shallots, crispy fried onion bits and this was so yum I loved it.
We also had the crispy pork and it had real crackling and the meat was very tender.
By this stage we almost had to be rolled out and couldn’t fit anything else in so we didn’t order any dessert :(
Overall I give this restaurant top marks. I loved the hip vibe it had, very trendy with the atmosphere and very tasty with all the food that we had.
When we return to Brisbane we will definitely be back!
Thank you Cameron, you have an amazing restaurant, bring it to Melbourne!

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Sunday morning breakfast.

Forget bacon and eggs unless you like it in fried rice along with nuggets of fried haloumi, snow peas and shallots.

The mushroom omelette was excellent too.

A menu of hearty options (no toast and jam here) so you need to be up for a substantial meal.

Really enjoyed it and will be back.