New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #679 of 4,096 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
County Down, United Kingdom
“Best Curry in Brisbane”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Hands down the best tikka masala I've ever had. I've been here multiple times, and will return again and again. Service is prompt, friendly and efficient. The food is beautiful - Tikka Masala and Jalfrezie are a must, and the garlic naan is delicious! It's BYO, so perfect for a cheap night out with friends, or a couple. We've had many visitors to Brisbane, and the Taj is always on our list of attractions - it hasn't failed us yet!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GeoDB

Brisbane, Australia
“Big let down - will not return...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

I'd heard good things about this place, but our experience didn't live up to any of them.. It was an impromptu visit but the place looked busy, I thought this was a good sign. They got us a table - right down the back near the kitchen - THE worst spot, but we didn't have a booking so we'll take what we can get... The waitress didn't understand anything we ordered and we had to point to everything on the menu. She then got my drink order wrong, brought me red wine instead of the white sparkling I ordered. The entree service was quick, but the food seemed like it was processed and possibly frozen (shahi kebab and meat samosas) - definitely not fresh. The main course took forever to be served and wasn't very good, I asked for hot, but it was more 'strong' in flavour. My husband was also very disappointed with his 'odd' tasting butter chicken. We won't return to the Taj Mahal.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Wollongong
“Recommended by Indian Cab Driver - Lived up to the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My Indian can driver recommended the restaurant. He said even the Indian Cricket team eats there.
It doesn't look like the Taj, but wow, the food...
The menu is not too big, not complicated, and the quality is exceptional.
Service was great, and the wine was affordable.
One of the best Indian restaurants I've been to. (Big Call).

Try the Dahl Makhiti (spelling may be wrong) and the Chicket Bahti.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Steven D
Sydney Australia
“The Samosas Could Use Some Work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

The food was quite good, except for the mince Samosas, which smelled "meaty." You know that congealed fat meaty smell? I couldn't eat them. Either the meat had been there for too long or some sauce/flavoring is required - they weren't good. I think they were undercooked as the pasty also tasted ho hum.

I was really looking forward to those Samosas!

I preferred Raj's Palace.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brisbane, Australia
“Best Indian restaurant in Brisbane!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

The naan I ate here was the best naan I've eaten in Brisbane. Add to that exceptionally tasty meals and excellent service with a smile, and you have my absolute favourite Indian restaurant in Queensland.