“BBQ bugs”

Ranked #204 of 5,227 Restaurants in Brisbane
Price range: USD 18 - USD 70
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Cha Cha Char Wine Bar & Grill is a stylish, contemporary restaurant specialising in high quality, cooked-to-perfection steaks.On our menu you'll find plenty of information - the breed, paddock address, age (12 months to 30 months and older), size (200g to 600g), accompaniments and diet (grass fed/grain fed) as well as snapshots of rare, medium rare, medium and well done steaks to help diners with their preferences.It's harder than you think to get a great steak onto a plate - there are so many variables. Restaurateur John Kilroy is a nationally recognised beef judge and is constantly showcasing products to the hospitality industry where discussions range from the breed of cattle, feed type and age of the carcass. His wide recognition throughout the beef industry means that we receive first class products on a consistent basis, year round. John sources the beef direct from producers and suppliers and ages it for five weeks, giving diners a chance to taste different breeds, brands and regions. That's why it's Brisbane's signature steak restaurant!
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Had such a great day today at Brisbane's Bug & Oyster trail @eaglestreetpier. Kids had ball and it turned out to be a perfect way to end school holidays. 14 restaurants participated so was very spoilt for choice. Very happy #foodie
I started with BBQ bugs served in brioche roll filled with Blond d'aquitaine steak tartar from Cha Cha Char Wine Bar & Grill for $18. It was lovely. Wish l could have more.

Date of visit: October 2018
BoutiqueVenues, Guest Relations Manager at Cha Cha Char, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Thanks for the review foodieadventure80, that oyster and bug trail festival was certainly a hit and enjoyed by an overwhelming number of guests. We would love to have you come into the restaurant though and enjoy an ala carte experience also..

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

I had really high hopes for this restaurant after reading google reviews however was left disappointed after a Saturday night dinner.

The steaks we ordered were okay but nothing amazing and on par with standard restaurant cuts which would be at a lower cost. The sides of potato was drenched in oil and impossible to eat.

The service was well below average, I cannot recall the waiter's name, it could have been Steve or Scott regardless he was extremely condescending, inattentive and besides taking the order/placing the food down did not speak to my partner and I. We're not expecting an in depth conversation but even a courtesy how is everything, how is the steak etc would have been nice or even eye contact. I found it extremely rude when the mains were cleared to have him borderline throw the dessert menu on the table and walk away - again it would have been polite to ask if we wanted dessert.

I'm the type of person that does not like confrontation so chose not to say anything at the time however in hindsight I believe I should have to alert the waiter of his behaviour. Fair enough he could have had a bad day but there still needs to be a level of professionalism conducted.

$200 for dinner and bad service.

Date of visit: September 2018

Hi Deedianne, thanks so much for the feedback from your experience. We appreciate that you took the time to provide your experience to us. We certainly take feedback, (be it positive or negative) seriously. Without receiving regular feedback, we can on occasions miss problems and deficiencies in our offerings, be they food related or service related. I note your comments about your waiter and can assure that if this was Steve, that he is easily one of the best waiters in Brisbane and he is someone who has been with us for some time in various capacities, therefore I can assure that any disappointment in Steve’s service or engagement would have been an isolated incident, or more a matter of perhaps workload on the night. However we do appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback from your experience.

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

I returned to cha cha char after a first visit that was horrible , thinking why not give it one more chance me and my partner ordered 2 medium well steaks and it took them 30 mins to bring the food to the table and there were only 10 people in the restaurant. Once they arrived I cut into them and they were medium rare in some spots I complained and it was fixed promptly which was good but wen it come back out it hadn’t been rested properly there was juice everywhere I had to change plates for me it’s just to much I will never return sorry

1  Thank Damien C
Reviewed 26 September 2018

went for meatballs to start - very different (to share btw - not just me). They had a real unique taste - nice - but unique. We were all pretty tired also at this time. We ate at 9 and the kids are 14, 12 and 9) and we were 6 days into trip from the UK, so maybe had something to do with it. i went for some Wagyu Steak as thought - why not. Was a little disappointed if honest as my son went for a fillet which was divine and so tasty. Staff again, as all places in Australia we visited - were very helpful. Lovely food - i just think we were knackered at that time to eat! Was pretty pricey too - although most places are with 5 people eating as adults!!!!

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank what-would-1-know
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Seated and ordered by 8pm
Waitress made us a bit uncomfortable (Jade) from the outset with her tone.

Food arrived to our table at 8.58pm so almost a full hour waiting. In that timeframe only once did someone come over to apologise for the wait after about 40 mins and we still waited another 20 after this. No offer of even some bread or a drink to keep us going while we waited.

The food arrived but my order was wrong. All the sides and garnishes were different and when I highlighted this they told me to start with my meal and they would bring out and extra plate for me with the right sides.

So I did this but this also took too long so I had to stop. When the sides arrived I was almost finished my steak so just had to make do with some potatoes after.

The bill arrived and I was fully expecting that the manager would have delivered it to the table and apologised for the issues throughout the evening. Anywhere else and my meal would have been removed from the bill or the drinks would have been free. Something as a sign of an apology.

Definitely won’t be going back or recommending to friends.

There are plenty of other options close by on the same strip all of which looked to have a better atmosphere.

The food itself when it arrived was quite good. But I can’t give anything other than a terrible review due to the rest of the experience.