“A successful girls spa day”
Review of Dome Spa Retreat

Dome Spa Retreat
Ranked #14 of 126 Spas & Wellness in Brisbane
More attraction details
Owner description: Hotel day spa, various types of massage, facials, manicure , pedicure, body scrubs and body wraps, group bookings, high teas,
Reviewed 1 January 2018

I booked myself, my Mother and Sister in for a 3 way celebration (late mother's day pamper, a birthday, and a christmas present). The first thing I'd like to highlight is the service I received at first point of contact. I had lost my voucher and I e-mailed the retreat to ask if they could assist. I promptly received a reply within 12 hours by Helene the Spa Co-ordintor. After several e-mails Helene was very patient in problem solving my issue and booking both my Mother and Sister in for our Spa date. Upon arrival we were very efficiently taken care of at Valet (even though they had several cars lined up in front of us). At the reception of the Spa we were greeted by a very personable Lou Lou. Even though my sister was running late Lou Lou did not make us feel bad and instead showed us to the change room and offered us tea in the waiting room. All 3 of us enjoyed our massages. It wasn't the best we've had but above average. My Sister forgot her swimmers and Lou Lou kindly offered a loan of a couple of sarongs (which Sam got complimented on). After our treatment we were taken to our reserved table by the pool where we were having our high tea delivered. The portions were surprisingly generous and the scones were delicious. My only complaint is we only got one glass of sparkling per person. When the waiter opened the whole bottle I thought it would have been more fitting to leave the rest of the bottle given there were 3 of us. Lou Lou kindly offered us containers to put our leftovers in if we couldn't finish our food (never happens in a 5 star establishment). Then to finish it all off Lou Lou efficiently called Valet to have our cars ready as we were leaving. Look it's not the fanciest of spas but all I can say is that the overall service was delightful. Staff went above and beyond what was expected (namely Lou Lou). My only other feedback is the waiting area needs to be bigger and maybe a design facelift as it still looks the same as when I was there a couple of years ago.

Date of experience: December 2017
"therapist"
in 10 reviews
"sarong"

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

It's pretty expensive considering the size of the facilities and the general experience. I had a facial, it was nice but I wouldn't go as far to book and pay $185 without a voucher. Holistic Health in new farm James st gives you more of that day spa experience for a lot less

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed 13 October 2017

I booked myself in for an Aromatic Body Scrub & Rain Shower as a treat for myself as I have spent the last couple of months looking after my sister-in-law in Townsville who has breast cancer. October is breast cancer awareness month & I had been told by a friend that on Thursday 12th October that the Dome Spa was donating $10.00 to breast cancer research for each treatment. I thought this was a great opportunity for me to treat myself to a little luxury and to help a little more for breast cancer research.
I was greeted by very friendly staff. I discovered that the therapist who is giving this treatment wears a colourful sarong as the therapist also gets a bit damp. I had a very relaxing experience during the entire time. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to relax.
The valet parking was great as I didn't have to stress about where to park. $5.00 is very cheap parking.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Was looking for a 5 star day spa experience in Brisbane. This is NOT IT. Firstly, when booking our treatments we were invited to used the hotel facilities. We arrived an hour before our appointment to enjoy the spa, pool and sauna which was offered and perhaps some bubbles. Unfortunately there was no room in the facilities forcing us to sit in a tiny waiting area until our treatment time. This area itself offers disappointing tea, and water with a few cut up pieces of cucumber. Magazines were tatty and over 2 months old, there were also laminated posters on the wall stuck with blue tac. Very unappealing. I was then invited in for my first treatment (20 mins late). A one hour facial. The room itself is a typical spa room, however freezing. The towels that were firstly put on were well worn, thin and fraying at the ends. I requested a blanket which when arrived had holes through it..... once relaxed I lay back ready to enjoy my $175 facial only to be told my skin was dehydrated and could really do with a hydrating mask. That sounds like a good idea. That will be an additional $30. OH PLEASE. For the next 50 min I was furious with the blatant up-sell and found it difficult to enjoy anything. Facial itself, extremely average, therapist was pleasant.
After facial I had a 90 min massage. This was not the massaged described in their marketing materials. In fact, I am unsure what it was or how experienced the masseuse was. The room, again, was freezing and I had to continually ask for extra towels, not sure where the holy blanket went. After an hour I actually contemplated finishing the treatment it was that un-enjoyable. Upon payment, the efpos machine didn't work. The receptionist, who was dressed like she was about to go to the beach and who could really do with some customer service development, explained it was their fault the machine wasn't working and that we would have to pay cash. No apology, no sorry for the inconvenience. We then went to get the car from valet where the first thing the concierge said was " oh I'll have to go find it" another example of extremely poor customer service.

This spa is an absolute disgrace, overpriced and extremely disappointing. I have had much better experiences in shopping centre massage places than here. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY...

Date of experience: September 2017
5  Thank christinecQ3886CN
Lee B, Manager at Dome Spa Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Hello Christine,

this is the first I have heard from you about your disappointment at our spa. I apologise that we did not live up to your expectations on the day. I am trying to make sense of some of the things you have mentioned.

I think when you mention the "facilities" you are referring to the Marriott pool, sauna and spa area which is a very large area with lots of recliner lounges and chairs. I am sorry if the area was busy at the time you visited, however our dedicated spa assistant could have assisted you by finding more chairs if you had let us know.

You were booked in for a Classic facial with no upgrades ($148) and 90 min massage ($184) and it was all paid with a gift voucher you provided us, not cash.

The air conditioning is controlled by the Marriott, however we have electric blankets on the bed in case our guests are not feeling warm enough. I don't know of any blankets with holes in them here. Also our towels are supplied and laundered by a reputable laundry service provider.

The spa receptionist you referred to as needing customer service skills training is the assistant spa manager and regularly gets praise and emails sent to me commending her on her customer service. A recent example below,

From: Melanie Carter ..........@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 September 2017 8:03 PM
To: Dome Spa Retreat <enquiries@domesparetreat.com>
Subject: Re: Confirmation Sat Sept 9th Group booking

Hi Sarah.

I just wanted to say an enormous thank you for your assistance organising my sister's birthday group on Saturday.
Louarne truly went above and beyond to accommodate us and everyone had a fantastic time.

I have been online to do some reviews to promote how fantastic the service is so hopefully that reflects our great experience!

Many thanks again,
Melanie

Of course we are open to constructive feedback, however you haven't explained how the massage was "different" or how the facial was "average". I would love to hear from you to discuss this. Your beauty therapist has worked here for 5 years and has a regular following.

Apologies that you had to wait for your car to be retrieved, I hope you didn't have to wait too long? The $5 valet parking is a wonderful service the Marriott provides for our guests and we always phone concierge so your car can be sometimes be ready by the time you get there for departure. On the odd occasion there is no answer as the desk is temporarily not manned as they are busy parking or collecting guests cars.

We have amazing therapists that work here, that love what they do, so when we read a review like this, we feel very concerned that we were unable to demonstrate to you our usual 5 star service.

p.s I will ensure the old magazines are removed fro the reading basket.