“What a disappointment...”

The Sebel Brisbane
Ranked #33 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Booked in for Christmas night through wotif.com.au it was a mystery hotel and we were not told which hotel it would be until payment, which was fine as the star rating was good so we felt confident we were in for a great night, NOT SO. Our overnight room only rate was $157.00 for two people and I paid an EXTRA $100.00 for our two daughters to join us & $28.00 for parking, still fine at this point, arrive at the Sebal at about 3.30-4.00pm all excited and happy, book in, go up to room, disappointment sets in bigtime, tired looking room & decor, discover we have paid $100.00 for our 2 daughters (aged 25 & 15) to sleep together on a dinghy old pull-out sofa bed which was uncomfortable to sit on (let alone try & sleep on) with bits of something (hard plastic??)sticking in to the back of my leg when I sat down, we had a tiny balcony which was ok but not a single chair (plastic or otherwise) to sit on while on the balcony. Had never been to the Sebal before and safe to say we will never be going again and will be recommending against this hotel to anyone who will listen. We do not blame wotif for this experience as we use them regularly and have never been let down like this before, spent two nights down at the Mantra at Kingscliffe two weeks after Christmas for our anniversary, booked through wotif.com paid $105.00 per night which included breakfast for two both mornings, a buy one get one free drink voucher & parking and it was a magic time in a stunning room with spa bath, balcony with two chairs and two sun lounges. Spent a night at the Grand Chancellor Brisbane on Saturday night the 21st of January 2012 and it was just gorgeous, great discounted rate, brekky for two, a two for one drink voucher & parking, (this was not booked through wotif.com).

Room Tip: avoid the Sebal at all costs and it will cost you!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bjwill
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear bjwill, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. Our pricing and bedding arrangements are displayed on our own website and those of our booking partners, such as Wotif.com, however we are sorry to hear that this visit did not meet your expectations in terms of value. We encourage travellers to consider all factors when selecting a hotel - including facilities, service, location, price and travel dates. Please feel free to contact me personally when you are next travelling to Brisbane and I will make every effort to ensure you receive excellent value, based on these considerations.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights in January 2012, and through a combination of small irritations and one major service disaster, had one of the most disappointing hotel experiences I've ever encountered.
I chose the Sebel because it was well-located, was four-star rated, and because I wanted a serviced apartment where I could cook if I chose. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment with balcony. The room itself was spacious, if a little tired-looking (I was on the ninth floor and there was no view to speak of, the bathroom was fairly ordinary and the kitchen was not as new or as well-equipped as other serviced apartments I've stayed in). However, over the next few days there were a number of minor irritations which, in combination, began to have a real impact on my enjoyment of my stay.
For example, when I got to the room the compendium was missing, so the only way I could read about the hotel's services was to go through them on the television, which was extremely laborious. It was not until I was half-way through cooking my evening meal that night that I discovered the kitchen had no frying pan, so I was forced to finish cooking using a saucepan. There was no coffee plunger in the room, and when I asked for one downstairs I was told that one was not available (unlike other serviced apartments I've stayed in). No newspaper was delivered on the first two mornings I stayed, despite a number of requests to reception. The airconditioning was broken in the room I was originally allocated (although it appeared to be working initially), so after a couple of sleepless nights I was forced to move rooms.
As I say, all fairly minor things in isolation, but in combination they began to make what should have been an enjoyable stay into a fairly ordinary one. However, the worst was yet to come.
On the second-last night I was due to stay at the Sebel, I arrived back to the room at around 5pm to find that my room had not been serviced that day. I called reception and was told that someone would be there in half an hour. I waited half an hour, but no-one arrived, so I went to the pool hoping they could service my room while I was out. When I got back to the room, the cleaner was there, and as I was due to head out for dinner that night, he suggested he come back in half an hour. I agreed, went out, and thought no more about it.
When I got back to my room that night, however, I discovered that the cleaner never apparently went back to the room - the kitchen had been 'cleaned', but the bathroom had not been serviced (there were still towels on the floor), and neither had the bedroom (the bed remained unmade). The bin from the kitchen sat in the corridor and there were plastic bags left on the kitchen bench. This was annoying, but it was not until I went to make myself a cup of tea that I discovered in the course of 'cleaning' the kitchen, he had also removed ALL of the groceries and other provisions I had purchased to have during my stay - breakfast provisions (bread, marmalade, fruit etc), coffee, tea, margarine, cheese - even half a bottle of wine I had left from the night before.
I was shocked, and felt quite violated by what he had done. I went around the apartment and discovered he had also thrown out some brochures I had collected during my stay, and some information about my flight home at the end of the week (fortunately, he had left my clothes and toiletries!). I immediately called reception, and the duty manager was quite apologetic, offering me a complimentary breakfast for the next morning and promising me he would look into it and have someone get back to me.
The next morning, after breakfast I did indeed receive a call from reception - not to apologise for what had happened the night before, or explain how it had happened, but to ask me when I would be checking out that day, notwithstanding that I was not in fact due to check-out until the following day (I had arranged to stay an extra night when I checked in, and had been told this was not a problem and had all been arranged). This was the last straw for me, and had it not been 36 degrees in Brisbane that day I would have checked out and gone to another hotel. As it was, I explained again what had happened with my things, and was told by reception that she would speak to the manager to see what they could do for me.
By now, I had had such a poor experience that the only way they could have made it up to me would have been to make the final night's stay complimentary. As it was, when I got back to my room that afternoon there was a card from the manager, apologising for the service I had experienced, together with two complimentary beers which he hoped "I would enjoy together with my last night at the Sebel". And when I went to check-out, I was indeed told that there was no more to pay (I had pre-paid the first five nights so it should only have been the extra night to pay). However, when I queried whether this meant the extra night was being made complimentary, the person at reception told me it was a mistake, and that I did in fact have to pay for the final night! Talk about adding insult to injury!
All in all, I was glad to leave and promised myself that I would never return. There are plenty of other decent serviced apartments in Brisbane. If an organisation like the Sebel that holds itself out as offering four-star service cannot recognise the seriousness of an incident like that which happened to me (or thinks it can be placated with a complimentary breakfast and a couple of beers), then I suggest you stay somewhere else. In future, I certainly will.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Stephen R
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear Stephen R

We very much appreciate your detailed feedback following your stay with us, however we are naturally very disappointed that our normally high service and satisfaction levels were clearly not on display for you on this occasion. Please accept my apologies and assurance that we will investigate the details of your commentary with a view to preventing any recurrence. I will be in contact with you shortly to arrange an appropriate gesture to compensate for your experience.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed here over New Years Eve the hotel is situated in the heart of the city with stunning views from the windows and balconies
Each of the suites has a a living room, bedroom and a small kitchen area ideal for use by travellers.
There are full washing and drying facilities also.
Superb hotel would highly recommend

Room Tip: Higher floors obviously have the better views
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2012

i stayed there between xmas nad new year and found it to very nice , room was clean and spacious staff very friendly will stay there again next time in brisbane

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I visit Brisbane 4-5 times per year but this was my first Sebel Suites experience. As had 2 children with me we stayed in a higher level 2 bedroom apartment. Views were great and accommodation was just fine. Remarkably quiet for a central city stay and only 1 block from Myers centre and one more block up to the city mall. Walked easily to Southbank and the gardens and a great little bookshop is close by. Taxis at the door and public transport handy. Staff very friendly and welcoming. pool nice for hot afternoons and many resturants close by.

Room Tip: high makes for best view and less noise
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family