“Nice stay, convenient and great service ”

Oakwood Hotel & Apartments Brisbane
Ranked #89 of 170 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the venue for a week for work and also hired a board room. I must say I really enjoyed the convenience of closed to everything including china town, valley or the city. Really nice staff, clean rooms and views of city and the Storey (not sure about the spellings) Bridge are worth killing for. I did have an issue with the air conditioning however was fixed very quickly. Nice breakfast, bar and bar staff. Moderately priced considering all the features above. My rating is 7/10 for the property.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
caureenmcatee, General Manager at Oakwood Hotel & Apartments Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear Arjunnatthan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience at Oakwood Hotel and Apartments.

Delighted to read that you enjoyed the facilities and that the staff were accommodating and the rooms were clean.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

Booked this place through Amex, and only upon check in did we find out there was a $20 a day parking charge. Not a great start.

Get to the room and funny, musty smell but because it's a bit dated just add it to the part and parcel box. If you get a river view it's the ONLY saving grace for this place.
Partner and I went out for the night and got back late, gone midnight at least but had left the sliding doors open so apartment was cool to go to bed. Being so close to the bridge you have no choice but to close the doors however unless you can sleep essentially on a highway.
Either way, an hour passes and it's getting ridiculously warm, tossing and turning, check the air con and it's on "full blast" and 5 degrees setting but nothing. Partner and I discuss and we pack our things and go home to what's left of the night sleep.

While some of you may think that we should have contacted the manager to address the issue, I have a friend who worked there - spoke to them when the issue was happening. Was advised that the air con has been an issue for at least 18 months now and it was the number 1 complaint when they worked there. Even when they switched people to new rooms they often got switched to a room where the air con was not working there either. Basically to switch rooms at 3am for not even a guarantee that it would solve the problem my partner and I left.

Checking out then I mentioned the air con issue to the manager, to which he advised me that because I had booked my stay with a third party (Amex) I would have to take the issue up with them if I wanted to complain.

TLDR: Terrible customer service and no hope in hell of a good night's sleep

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jay J

Dear Jay J

Thank you for the review on your recent experience at Oakwood Hotel and Apartments.

I apologize for the disruption to your stay and I would be deeply obliged if you could contact me at caureen.mcatee@oakwoodasia.com to discuss your comments further in order that I may investigate further.

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

The rooms aren’t very big, we had booked a double room but there was some confusion with the booking so one of us ended up on a trundle bed in the living room. You have to pay to park so we parked in a cheaper parking location nearby.... when I brought our car round to pick my family up the drop off / pick up car park is extremely small, the hotel have their own vehicle constantly parked in front of the hotel and there’s a pillar that blends into the rest of the hotel, this has obviously been an issue as they have black and yellow markings on the bottom of it, unfortunately you can’t see this in the rear view mirror which resulted in a massive dent in the rear bumper of my car!! I was not going fast as this is a very small space to reverse in. This has obviously happened before as the black and yellow marker is very scratched.... I would advise that the markers should be higher up or that they even wrap a plant around the pillar to avoid further damage to any other cars. Very disappointed with the hotels response when I mentioned this suggestion.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kerry A

Dear Kerry A

We have two levels of parking at the hotel and an entrance for drop off and pick up, and we take on board your feedback on the markings on the road, and we will take that into consideration for future development of the hotel.

Oakwood Hotel and Apartments complimentary shuttle has a designated space at the front of the hotel for guests wishing to utilize this.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

This place is perfectly located right next to the colourful Storey Bridge. Great access to the City and Valley, with good dining and bars both in-house and within walking distance. Friendly staff were a bonus!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Dear Mostmello,

Lovely to read that you enjoyed the facilities and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

If you can, ask for a room with a view. We had a top floor two bed apartment with views over the Brisbane river and Story Bridge. Wonderful. What was not so wonderful was the air conditioning that did not seem to want to work. We were a bunch of friends who stayed and it was a bit of a shame that the 2nd bedroom could not be closed off from the rest of the accommodation and you had to walk through the main bedroom to get to the toilet, but we knew all that from other reviews that goodness. Room size was good and fit all of our group with visitors quite easily. It is a bit of a party hotel, and doors did not close quietly, nor were the rooms sound proof. The rooms were very clean, staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, we did not have time to visit the pool area unfortunately. Very close to the Valley precinct. I would return.

Room Tip: As for quieter floors, with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Dear WomanfromoZ,

Lovely to read that the staff were friendly and helpful and you enjoyed breakfast. I apologise for the technical difficulties in the air conditioning unit, we have taken the feedback on board and reviewing with our team.

I would love to welcome you upon your return to the hotel, and can be contacted at caureen.mcatee@oakwoodhotel.com.au

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Oakwood Hotel and Apartments, Brisbane