“Showing its age”

Ranked #101 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Showing its age”
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

Opened 30 years ago, and showing it - tired and unloved. Bed sheets didnt fit; the cheapest, nastiest cold-coloured fluorescent lights in the rooms made it unpleasant and unwelcoming. Aircon inadequate. Reception and doors close at 10 pm. Nice partial view between other buildings over the river to the CBD. Rooms are very big. If you need to be close to the Mater hospital or the Gabba then this would be a possibility but I'd look elsewhere first - the rooms are so depressing I wouldn't mind walking further. If you're after the arts precinct in Grey St I'd recommend other options.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SASG19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Victoria, Australia.
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I was lucky enough to have a river view room, and the views were spectacular. The hotel is a short distance from the main part of South Bank, but it is a pleasant walk. I had a problem with the air conditioning and called the reception staff, who came up immediately and sorted it out in minutes. Prompt and friendly customer service at its best.

Room Tip: The river view is spectacular.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Helen097
Adelaide
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I chose the Hillcrest as it was close to the Mater children's hospital, so it was in a perfect location for us. I had adjoining apartments, one apartment had 1 bedroom with a large living area and kitchen and the other was a one bedroom without a living area. After reading the reviews I asked for a referbished room. Carpets and appliances were new. As for cleanliness it was ok except for the kettle. There was so much brown muck in the kettle that I wasted an entire bottle of vinegar descaling it. The kitchen was fully equiped and this was very handy as we cooked most nights. The rooms were serviced daily, if required, so we were able to get fresh towels when requested. We travelled with another family and their room had a laundry whereas our room did not eventhough it was the same size room. We travelled with children so having access to the laundry in the other room was handy. There was a communal laundry on our floor but if you want a room with a laundry I suggest you request one. There is no free internet but it's available at a cost. Southbank is about a 5 minute walk. The walk along Southbank is lovely and great for kids. There are public pools set up like a beach and different sections with varying depth so it caters for all ages. There are approximately 3 playground areas along the way. I would suggest that you search for the cheapest price if considering the Hillcrest. I paid significantly more than the other family we travelled with. I booked our rooms directly with the hotel and although the rooms were fine I thought it was not value for money. The other family booked through via an airline site and paid almost half the price I paid and they got the better room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed here 3 nights. The rooms were ok, but the 'kitchen area' was not what I expected. A kettle, with cups and a fridge etc. No sink.
Anyway the hotel I thought would be good place to stay as near to where we needed to get our transfers to trips. No it isn't as it's right out the way. It's in the middle of no where, there is a mac donalds 10 mins walk away. We went there for the free wifi as the hotel wifi you had to pay $30 plus for a 24 hour period.
The hotel food did not look nice. Looked liked been sitting there for 3 hours or more... $30 for not much choice each.
If I stayed in Brisbane again, I would go more near the town centre.... Otherwise u pay out more getting from places.
It was clean the room, and ok
The reception desk not very friendly...

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Elainepeachy

Travellers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

Roma
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Have stayed here many times in the last ten years primarily because of its great location. However on my most recent visit I arrived to find that they had made an error with our booking and instead of a twin room they had given my teenage son and myself a double room. When I pointed this out to the receptionist she was extremely rude and only grudgingly changed our accommodation even though the error had been theirs. Then on reading the literature provided in the room re Specials Available , I discovered that breakfast packages were available for the type of room we were occupying despite being told initially when I booked the room that there no packages available. So I again approached the same girl on reception, who again grudgingly changed the booking. Thankfully by the time we checked out next morning another staff member of much more pleasing disposition was on the desk.
Overall the rooms are quite good and spacious, and the river views worthwhile. Will stay there again despite this bad experience purely for convenience sake.

Room Tip: Enquire if there are specials available which include breakfast packages. These are very good value...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family