“Excellent for jet lagged travellers!”

Novotel Brisbane Airport
Ranked #38 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Wellington, New Zealand
“Excellent for jet lagged travellers!”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My family and I recently used this hotel for a days rest between flights. We rung from the airport and were given a family room at what I think was a discounted rate. We were also given instructions on getting a shuttle to the hotel for $5 per person. The shuttle proved elusive and we gave up opting for a taxi that cost a little over $10.

The room itself was reasonably spacious and had two double beds and a bathroom and was spotless. The beds themselves were very comfy and the linen crisp and clean. The only fault with the room was that they only supplied two towels in the bathroom (for 4 people), and the shower over a bath could prove a problem for some, however we were happy as we only needed to sleep!

I cannot comment on the pool or the gym area as we had no cause to use them, however we encountered another family in the lift whose children were delighted with the pool area. We did however have time to indulge in the buffet breakfast which was nice. It felt expensive at $28 per person but the children were free so it ended up being quite reasonable.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would definitely use the hotel again as a stop-over between flights as its location is so convenient to the airport and the hotel itself very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Due to a late night flight into Brisbane we booked here as I got a great rate from Expedia. We had a room with 2 double beds for myself, husband and 2 children aged 10 and 8. The room was immaculate, nice and new, perhaps a little on the small side for 4 people but for only a quick overnight stay so was no problem.
Despite only being about 5 kilometres from the airport, the disguntled taxi driver we had slugged us $28 from the airport. Not the hotel's fault but not a nice welcoming to Brisbane! The driver also complained about most drivers not wanting to service the Airport Novotel. I have no idea why and again not the hotel's fault but be forewarned that maybe for this reason driver's are way overcharging for the trip?
We used the Airtrain Connect Service the next morning to travel from the Airport to the Gold Coast and used the Airport's shuttle bus service for free which runs from the back of the Woolworths which is just across from the Novotel. Pity the shuttle's don't run at odd hours, would have saved us $28!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Compact rooms with cheap looking decor. Everything clean as you would expect from a new hotel. $12 by taxi to international terminal or $5 per person on hotel shuttle bus, so if theres 3 or more, take a cab.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Sydney
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I write this review before even leaving the hotel.

I checked-in early afternoon – no valet service on the 'drive-way' as described, and only one person working on the reception desk (where are all of your staff – you are a four star Novotel hotel not a Hotel Ibis!).

So I parked the car myself, lugged my bags into the lobby and struggled with them as I tried to check-in.

The room was ready even though I was early, which was nice, however that is really where the pro's of this property stop and con's begin.

Pro's:

- Great location close to the airport (10mins by car MAX)! Free bus runs every 30mins from the airport to the village just across the road from the hotel. Taxi fare is just shy of $20 each way. The hotel has their own bus but it only operates early morning and early evening and costs $5 per person, so if there is more than 3 of you, catch a cab!

- Just across from the hotel is a 'village' with a Woolworths Supermarket, Coffee Club bistro, pub/restaurant, Dan Murphy's liquor.

- Brand new hotel, so everything is modern.

Con's (or rather disappointments):

- On check-in - the 'concierge' who came over to check me in, didn't utter a word on the hotels facilities or services, didn't say anything about the restaurant, leisure facilities, business facilities! Didn't even direct me to the lifts or tell me what floor or room number I was in - he simply handed me the room key and curtly said 'thanks.' Also – no offer to assist with my bags! So I struggled over to the lift (once I had actually figured out where they were), spent a minute trying to locate my room number which was written inside the room key card holder and struggled into the lift and up to my room.

- Computer desk under the TV which is too low to get your legs under, which as a business traveller is extremely important.

- Less than comfortable desk chair that is nowhere near ergonomic, so doesn't help when you have 100 emails to respond to.

- Stains on the bathmat and hairs on the towels and in the bath.

- Dust everywhere! Novotel have brand standards of dark wood - obviously their Brand Manager's didn't think of the dust piling up on the tables you have to eat off.

- Staying in one of the suites in the hotel, the shower is over the bath! A huge problem for me being a constant business traveller! 9 times out of 10, the shower is separate, especially in a suite (I just came back from Jupiters on the Gold Coast where they have a separate shower which can fit two people!!). I am a medium build, anyone larger would need to squeeze their way into the bath and fight with the shower screen to bathe themselves (about 40cm wide the bath is). There was also no hand rail in the bath to assist you in and out, rather a non-slip mat which was cheap and stained.

- Expensive food in the restaurant and the room service charges are insane! ($19 for a Club Sandwich, $24 for a beef burger, deserts are an average of $14).

- No toilet paper (or half a role on the thing next to the toilet) and no spare rolls - had to call down for them.

- No do not disturb sign, which I had to call down for also!

- When I went to place a room service order - nobody answered the phone. Called three times before giving up and dialling reception to actually speak to someone! The person on reception then transferred me back through and guess what - no answer! Gave up and called back 10 minutes later to someone who finally answered!

- I hate to say it, but when I went out for an afternoon walk, I went past a couple of the housekeepers who smelt strongly of body odour and they walked toward me without any greeting, eye contact or customer service at all – again I say you are a Novotel, not an Ibis – actually I think you get better service in a Formule 1!

- The train line runs right next door to the hotel, so every 30 or so minutes you get the loud horns of the train as they go past along with the rumbling and noise!

- The air-conditioning system does its job and cools down the room quite well, however is extremely loud and you have trouble sleeping with it on! You would expect more being a brand new hotel!

- The dark lounge in the sitting room was covered in dust, long strands of dark hair (with short hair myself, they weren't mine) and bits of what I put down to 'chips' or 'biscuit' crumbs all over it.

- The bar fridge is tiny - you struggle to fit a 1.25L of anything in there! They have crammed every last bit of expensive mini-bar items in there! Which I took out to fit water bottles and fruit etc which I bought across the road.

Overall - my stay of which isn't yet complete was a complete disappointment from a hotel with so much potential! I will not be returning to this hotel, nor will I recommend it to any of my friends! There are much better hotels a little further out in the City that deserve your patronage!

I will be following my stay up with my employer (a large government department) and will be personally writing a letter to the General Manager.

I would hope that given they are new and are the only hotel in the airport precent, they realise their potential and start operating like the four star internationally branded hotel that they are!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank Adz2000
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Had to spend a night in Brisbane to connect to an early international flight. You can catch the "T-Bus" from the airport to the new "Airport Village" which has a few bars/bistros, some fast food outlets and lots of duty free shopping to pass the time. The Novotel is right there in the same complex. Rooms were great, great friendly staff, the gym was nice (but small) and the roof top lap pool was pretty good too. Flight time updates are available on the LCD TV in your room. The airport has a shuttle that runs every 20mins between the hotel and the airport terminals, cost is $10 - about half the cost of a cab.

The only disappointment was the restaurant. It was okay (the take away coffee was surprisingly good) but it's expensive for what you get (main meals $30+ AUD), and room service chanrges were very high ($12 for a bowl of chips??), but 24hr room service was available. Aside from the restaurant, the Novotal was very good, I'd book there again without hesitation.

Stayed September 2010, travelled on business