“Great Pad Thai”
Review of Phat Elephant

Phat Elephant
Ranked #284 of 5,015 Restaurants in Brisbane
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Worth booking a table we got there at 11.30 and nearly every table was gone. Great bustling atmosphere reminded me of being back in Bangkok, we ordered a PadThai, Crab Paoaya Salad, and Roti with dipping sauce was not disappointed.Would reccomend this restaurant.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

It's an interesting restaurant where some dishes are OK but the easiest to cook is way below par
- Service Staff: helpful & efficient - rating 4
- Tom Yum Soup: good - rating 4
- Som Tum Salad: OK but not there yet - rating 3
- Steam Rice: this is the real killer - poor quality rice & half cooked - rating 1

Don't even think about ordering steam rice!!!

Reviewed 29 May 2018

We (my Thai partner and I) ordered three food items through Uber Eats on 24 May 2018. Unfortunately, two of the three items were inedible and of very poor standard - no taste, poorly cooked, and in the instance of the Chicken Satay - outright stale.
However this is not where our troubles ended. Actually phoning this restaurant is near impossible. Their phone is located in a very noisy area of their restaurant and the person picking up the phone kept saying cannot hear us and then hanging up. Days later we contacted this restaurant and was met with arrogance and lack of care to the situation. The result was a 10% discount next time we come in to the restaurant. Well guess what - we will not be coming back to this restaurant. Not recommended.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

I genuinely can't find a thing to complement. I came here for a work dinner. First ordering was just bizarre when the server got confused because two people ordered entrees AND a main. The two entrees came out, then over and hour later we asked about the rest of our food and they said it would be 7 minutes to our mains. 7 minutes came and went but then eventually half our table received their food. 10 more minutes went by and we asked about the rest and eventually the remaining people got what was supposed to be a wagu steak that was disgusting! It was overcooked and burned on the outside. Someone else ordered the green curry and ate hardly any of it. Adding to the terrible timing and food, the restaurant had the aircon on so high I was physically shivering a the table and last but not least, good luck if you need to use the restroom (you get a plate at the bar, with a door toggle, then leave the restaurant walk down the end of the building then use the plate/toggle to to access a business office where you can use the facilities). Do yourself a favour and never never go here.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

Having spent a lot of time in Thailand, I have an appreciation for the ineffably authentic flavours that are hard to find outside of the country. I can vouch for Phat Elephant. Yes, they assemble dishes more according to the western preference, but they don't make it all Chinese by adding extraneous ingredients, or dumb down the flavours for the western palate. And as a bonus, the ingredients are higher quality than you get in Thailand.

It was really busy at 7:30 on a Wednesday, but I slipped in as a solo diner. The place was crowded and loud, and it's pretty clear it's popular with locals of all ethnicities. I loved the Japanese-style buttons on the tables to summon staff. It made service pretty quick and predictable. As far as I can tell, the entire staff, including in the kitchen, is Thai. I got some fairly standard dishes but they were very well done. The menu is more slanted towards multiple diners sharing dishes, but I managed.

So it doesn't get five stars because of the overly busy ambiance, and, while authentic, the food didn't have that extra something I reserve my five star ratings for. But I would come back here in a heartbeat. Service was great, and the food was good.