New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #462 of 1,847 things to do in Queensland
Highvale, QLD
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Whitsundays Amazing, Emperor Wings Average.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012
Pending review

We booked to go on the Emperor Wings trip to see the reef an islands of the Whitsundays. I was thoroughly looking forward to the trip and the sights were great but the time on the boat was average. What we saw of the Whitsundays were fantastic so I feel a bit bad for give it a 3/5 rating. We went to Whitehaven Beach as well as Hayman Island and sailed past many others as well. All fantastic.
Unfortunately the boat was a real let down. First of all it was not all bad, the boats Host Woody and Captain Stu were brilliant and a real credit to the company. The food was better than expected and all prepared fresh by Woody.
The boat is perfect for backpackers on a shoestring but for the rest of us its cramped, noisy, and gets dirtier as the trip goes on. We were expecting it to be cramped but sleep is near impossible with the constant hum of a generator as well as water pumps constantly being activated any time water is being used. Thankfully there was plenty of fresh water even if it does taste of chemicals and was usually warm as the cooling system has to be turned off to route power else where. Same goes for the "Air Con". The boat is air conditioned but it is fairly asthmatic and easily defeated by the boats 26 passengers plus crew. They also turn it off during the day so if you want to get out of the sun and heat...You cant. Not great if you pick up a funny tummy from the tiny bathroom. Its not a bad little place but its constantly damp from the diving passengers and water sloshing around the tanks below. You just have to get on with it knowing everyone has missed the bowl and your standing in it and everyone with dirty hands is also holding the handle to steady yourself from the waves.
The water equipment provided was plentiful and appeared to be maintain to standard. The snorkelling locations are excellent and well worth the trip. The diving is also great from what im lead to believe. Unfortunately both me and my partner missed out as the instructor had a male appendage attached to his forehead. If you didnt pick up the skills instantly you got sent back to the boat. If you had a problem, back to the boat. Even if you asked to take it slow, if you had a problem, back to the boat. It was hugely disappointing to travel to the great barrier reef and miss out on an experience of a lifetime because the "Instructor" had no patience or skills to instruct paying customers. My brother missed out as well due to a medical condition he had as a child. He could have dived if he had a doctors certificate, but we were only informed of this a few hours before boarding the boat. Again very frustrating.
Sorry for a long rant, visit the Whitsundays their Brilliant but think long and hard about Emperor Wings Diving. For the most part it could be a good trip IF everything goes your way.

Visited February 2012

Los Angeles
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wings 3-my favorite experience in Australia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

My friend and I just got off Wings 3 a couple days ago and it was by far the funnest thing we've done in Australia. I don't know about any of the other boats but I am glad we chose this one. It was pretty hard to decide on a boat because there wasn't that much info out there or comparisons between the boats. If anyone has any questions about Wings 3, just email me and I can try to help you out.

Anyways, Airlie Beach--not much there to do at all.

Wings 3 is the newer boat vs Wings 2. I believe the only difference is that Wings 3 has a hot tub on the deck? It was 2 days and 2 nights. I thought for sure I was gonna get sea sick but as long as you stay outside when the boat is going fast through choppy waters (maybe an hour a day when they were trying to reach the area where we were going to sleep), you will be fine. The staff was super nice, kept asking me and my friend if we were ok and needed water or ginger tablets.

I was a little unsure about choosing this boat because I read reviews that said it was a diving boat mainly and my friend and I only wanted to snorkel. But half of our boat only snorkelled and I didn't feel any pressure at all to go diving. Someone said they were hard selling the diving but I didn't get that at all. Right at check in when you fill out waivers and health questionnaires, one of the staff asked me if I dived before. I said yes and didn't really like it. But all he said was 'then you were diving with the wrong people. Why don't you listen in on our presentation later on and I'll put you down as a maybe?" that was all the pressure i got. But maybe I should have dived because the divers saw more things than i did snorkelling. I was kind of disappointed with the snorkelling here because the water was very clear. I did see a ton of different types of coral and quite a bit of fish but not the 'Nemo's'. the divers saw them though.

We had 5 crew with us and a full boat of 26 people. Harry was the skipper-super happy, funny guy. There were 2 diving instructors: Adam and Dylan. Adam was really funny and Dylan was really nice. A couple of the reviews I read here said he was obnoxious or something and trying to force people to dive, so I was kind of apprehensive and hoping we wouldn't get this guy. But we did and he was actually the nicest guy there!! We also had Tiffany and Ian as our cooks. They were new and learning the ropes I guess. Tiff was really friendly and Ian was kind of shy or quiet.

The food was not bad and they fed us enough. There were about four 'rooms' that had doors on them and our room had one single bunk and 2 double 'bunk beds', I shared a double with my friend and there was plenty of room and I had the best sleep on the boat. I did have earplugs, that might have helped, although others that didn't have them said they slept very well too. There were 2 toilets and 2 showers and everyone was limited to 1 min showers, which sounded really strange at first but they only have a limited supply of fresh water on board, I only had time to out conditioner in my hair and wash my face. But it was ok because you're going into the water and getting wet all day anyways so you never feel dirty.

Anyways, it was really fun and I was sad when it was all over and we had to leave the boat. :(

6 Thank pikasil8