Kimberley Adventure Tours
Review Highlights
Hands down the best tour I’ve ever done! Truly life-changing! 🌿

This tour is hands down the best tour I’ve ever done! I’ve done loads of tours all over the world... read more

Reviewed 21 August 2023
Aus_traveller_9081
Perth, Australia
via mobile
10 day Broome to Broom Self Drive Tour

This was a trip of a lifetime for us. We are a family of 5, with three children aged 14, 12 and 11... read more

Reviewed 19 July 2023
Penwilmot

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Darwin
from AU$2,699.00
from AU$359.00
from AU$399.00
from AU$439.00
More Info
All reviews bungle bungles camp fire manning gorge tunnel creek bell gorge rock jumping camping experience edith falls broome shags tim
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

I honestly can't recommend Kimberley Adventure Tours highly enough, it was the perfect way to experience an incredible part of the country. I'm a 20-something solo traveller and our group, traveling Darwin to Broome, consisted of another solo traveller in her 20s and two families of four, with ages ranging from 11 to 50+.

The small group size (10 plus our awesome tour guide Tommy) allowed us to travel in a 4x4 troopie rather than a big bus and meant that the whole trip was completely flexible, tailored to suit our group's particular interests and preferences. Whether you have a keen interest in capturing those iconic outback photographs, learning more about indigenous culture, birdwatching, sunrise treks, moonlight walks, or just want to enjoy the breathtaking scenery and incredible gorges and waterfalls, Tommy's experience and local knowledge meant that he knew the perfect spots to take us each day to accommodate everybody. As a group we agreed that we preferred camping off the beaten track away from any campsites ("do you wanna go bush, or do you wanna go bush bush?") so we were able to sleep in swags under the stars in very remote places for 7 out of the 9 nights which was an incredible experience (and during the 2 nights at proper campsites we were extra appreciative for the running water and toilet facilities!).

Daily tasks such as collecting firewood and building the campfire, setting up and re-packing the camp, helping with food prep and washing the dishes were all shared between the group and as cheesy as it may sound, we really did feel like one big family unit in no time, more like we were on a road trip than a tour.

As the website says, this is Kimberley Adventure Tours not Kimberley Luxury Tours so you should expect a back-to-basics type trip, but it never felt that anything was being scrimped on. Swags and tents were clean and comfortable, the troopie was well-equipped in case of emergencies and I don't think I've ever eaten so well in my life! We had three large meals per day plus heaps of snacks available for the journey to keep us going. Each evening meal was cooked on the campfire and Tommy managed to rustle up everything from Thai curry and Spag Bol to a Spinach and Ricotta tart and even a full roast dinner!

The Gibb River Road is notoriously bumpy terrain so you will feel like your bones have been rattled a bit at times, but exploring this area on an organised tour with an experienced guide took out all of the stress of attempting to plan and navigate the journey and we always felt like we were in safe hands.
This tour would be great for foreign tourists and Australians alike, of any age providing that you have an average level of fitness and are willing to get stuck in.
It's an experience not to be missed and since finishing the tour I have been recommending Kimberley Adventures to anyone who will listen!

3  Thank Compass440503
Reviewed 12 November 2016

Go with an open mind and be rewarded beyond your expectation. Our guide Travis was a star, as was everyone else on the tour.

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 7 November 2016

I went on the 9 day tour from Darwin to Broome starting on the 20th of OCT 2016. I cannot begin to explain how perfect this tour is for seeing the Kimberley- you are totally immersed in the bush, you go hiking and swimming in amazing landscapes and get to have a real camping experience. Everyone helps out with preparing food, collecting firewood etc and this all adds a great sense of togetherness throughout the trip and its quite sad to leave everyone at the end of the trip. Travis was such a great guide for the duration of our trip- I always felt like we were in good hands every step of the way and he never ceased to amaze us all with his knowledge of all the places we visited. He was an absolute joy to be around for the whole 9 days, made everyone feel totally comfortable and at home and had a great sense of humour, and I honestly don't think I would have had such a great time had it not been for him.

Thanks again to the whole team for putting together such a great tour. I look forward to doing another tour with you guys in the future.

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank Jiwanjot K
Reviewed 1 November 2016

What a fantastic time we had! Tommy was brilliant; he was fun, an excellent cook and had us all involved from the start. He found out our individual interests and then went out of his way to show us those things – birds, flowers, stars, maps, Aboriginal art and culture etc. There was quite an age range in the group – but the youngsters more than pulled their weight and brought out the inner child in the older ones who joined in rope swinging, rock hopping and cliff jumping.

Due to roadside fires, we couldn’t visit the Bungle Bungles as originally planned; however the group collectively made the decision to spend more time around the Gibb River Road rather than rush through and try another route to the Bungle Bungles. This meant we visited Mirima National Park instead, had longer to enjoy bush camping, explore waterfalls and gorges, swim down rivers, relax in thermal pools and generally slow down and enjoy the peace, quiet and scenery of the Kimberley. Tommy also took us to view The Staircase to the Moon when we arrived in Broome – a fitting end to an amazing holiday.

What to bring? - a spirit of adventure, a willingness to be part of a group and an open mind - the original plan doesn't always work out but there are plenty of other opportunities that might be even better. It was fantastic!

1  Thank 369ruthd
Reviewed 31 October 2016

I did the Broome to Darwin tour at the beginning of August. The whole trip was an unforgettable experience, we saw the prettiest sunsets and sunrises, camped in the most amazing settings and swam in beautiful waterfalls. The tour guide Tommy was amazing, really relaxed and felt like an instant friend. He knew everything, and we were able to spend time seeing different things we were all interested, it was just like a tailor made tour. I could not recommend this tour, or this company highly enough. I missed the bumpy Gibb river road, my swag and the camp fire as soon as we finished our tour in Darwin. Thanks for such an excellent trip!