Kimberley Adventure Tours
Review Highlights
Honeymoon

I wasn’t quite sure what to think when my husband booked us onto a 9 day camping trip - laugh or... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Hang-yue
Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Outback experience like no other!

This tour exceeded all of my expectations. I did not know what to expect as I had never done a tour... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
lianethor

Recommended experiences in and around Darwin
from USD 85.50
from USD 116.90
from USD 780.80
from USD 1,387.10
More Info
All reviews lake argyle bush camping bungle bungles camp fire manning gorge tunnel creek amazing trip camping spots awesome group whale sharks cooking skills bell gorge true bush cliff jumping cable beach roast lamb beautiful region
Reviewed 11 October 2016

My son (aged 22) and I (aged 51) are just back from a 9 day trip from Darwin to Broome with Katherine Adventure Tours. And we both had a blast. We hiked and swam in some magnificent gorges, springs and water holes that were just breathtaking. We camped in some really remote bush camps, eating great meals cooked on the camp fire, and woke up to the sound of birds and beautiful serene sunrises. We were less lucky with sunsets and the stars, managing to see them just a couple of nights because of some weather, and even had to deal with a storm one night – so be prepared. We turned off our cell phones and became totally immersed in our surroundings (there was only occasional reception anyway). And we were lucky enough to see quite a lot of wild-life: a variety of birds, freshwater crocodiles, wallabies and wallaroos, bats, goannas, a snake and of course spiders and insects, the rewards of doing things early before everyone else and going to places less walked by others.

We travelled with a great group of people - quite diverse both age wise and nationalities - and it all worked really well. Our guide, Shane – a true blue Aussie, was great: Very passionate about the outback and sharing it all with us. He provided great explanations about the nature, geology and aboriginal culture. He is a really personable guy, and managed to connect with all. And his sense of adventure enabled us to see some things even he was surprised about – notably our dawn walk at one of the gorges to see the freshwater crocs led us to stand in awe watching an amazing number of fruit bats (probably thousands) squawking and flying from one tree to another, and seeing a couple of the larger crocs taking off with some bats that had fallen - a rare sight we were privileged to have seen.

I recommend this trip to anyone with an adventurous spirit, as long as you have a reasonable level of fitness and can walk and scramble over rocks to reach some remote and beautiful swimming holes. I suggest bringing boots or sturdy sandals and also a small bag, all of which you are willing to get wet for a hike where the return path requires swimming.

2  Thank Debbie L
jessedog, Owner at Kimberley Adventure Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2016

Hi Debbie.

Thanks for taking to the time to review your trip and Shane's guiding skills, sounds the Bat v Croc experience was incredible, wish I had been there for that!

All the best. Tim

Reviewed 9 October 2016

Had the most amazing 9 day tour from Darwin to Broome with tour guide Shane (the best!), and a great bunch of people (9 on tour).
I would highly recommend this tour to anyone wanting to explore the Kimberley region in it's truest and raw form. It is exactly what it says on the tin; 'an adventure'.

Some of the highlights include Edith Falls, plenty of gorge swimming, camping out in swags, campfires, Lake Argyle and swimming with freshies, the Bungle Bungles, Zebidee Springs and El Questro Gorge, and the Manning Gorge walk and swim which includes cliff dives, and Windjana crocs. Most of all the tour was made exceptional by sharing with such a great group of people and the best tour guide imparting lots of wisdom along all of the way, and giving lots of info on the cultural background and significance of this amazing region.

We saw lots of magnificent attractions en route from Darwin in the top end and making our way West along the Gibb river road to finally arrive in Broome finishing the tour with a sunset like no other over Cable Beach, reminiscing about the previous 9 days.
Definitely the best tour I've been on.

Date of experience: October 2016
KimberleyAdventures, Owner at Kimberley Adventure Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2016

Hi Deirdreop.

Thanks for the great wrap - "Definitely the best tour I've been on" - it doesn't get much better than that, so glad that you enjoyed Shane as your guide and the KAT style of travelling through the wilderness.

Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

"This tour costs money, but you definitely come out richer".
We did 9 days from Darwin-Broome, and it was spectacular. This tour is a very hands-on experience of the Kimberleys, and you really eat-smell-breath the northern outback. Every day started out at sunrise, and expanded into a new exciting and different adventure than anticipated.

Shane- our guide, was extremely friendly and open, knowledgeable and caring, doing his best to make this experience the most for everyone. His passion for the bush and the outback really come across, and his aussie country music trickles its way through your subconscious (by the end of the tour we were all trying to sing along).
This tour is unique because it really forms a group out of the 10 different strangers that come together, and by the last day you feel as if you're parting with lifetime friends.
I would highly recommend this tour, an unforgettable experience.
"Follow the sun".

Date of experience: October 2016

Hey Gilad, thanks for the review and I'm pumped that you came out richer for the experience, the Kimberley has the ability to do that, it's such an amazing place.

All the best. Tim

Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

Dear KAT

I just came back to civilization after a 9 day tour from Darwin to Broome..it was awesome!

A big thank to Shane!! He introduced us this amazing area of Australia!
Beautiful Gorges, Creeks, Springs, Crocodiles and how breathtaking it can be to sleep under the stars..he explained and shows us a lot of unexpected stuff!
Every meal was delicious and sometimes we got the possibility to hear his guitar playing...
It was so much fun with him and our group - I'll never forget this fabulous trip!!!!!
The name is program!

Thank you Shane! You did a lot that this tour was sooo special!..and keep going with "follow the sun"

Take care
Kathrin (Kat)

Date of experience: September 2016

Hey Kathrin, thanks heaps for the detailed review, Shane will be pumped, his second 5 star review for the day!

I love hearing about every tour that we do and love it when they create memories to last forever.

Thanks for coming. Cheers. Tim

Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

I booked a 9 days to visit Kimberley's from Darwin to broome.
I was lucky to be with Shane, the guide, and in a beautiful group of 10 persons.
I had the feeling to be safe during all the trip and I enjoyed everything in this trip, bush camp, food (excellent and enough) and walks between gorges, creek and viewpoint only possible on dry season, we went to a lot of "secret place" off road and off tracks, this is a real expedition with a lot of adventures.
Definitely the best tour I did with a friendly guide always available.
I saw a lot of wildlife, I lived a storm on a island in the middle of nowhere with freshwater crocodile, "I survived the gibb river road and I swam in the manning gorge"
Only good memories.

1  Thank josselin D

Hi Josselin, thanks for posting the first review for Shane. He's new to KAT so it's great to see that he's got the right stuff to be one of our guides, we look forward to him doing a full season with us in 2017.

I'm glad that you had a great time.

Cheers. Tim