Kimberley Adventure Tours

from USD 1,733.71
More Info
from USD 3,072.50
More Info
All reviews bush camping amazing trip plenty of food broome shags nature knowledge outback
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 July 2016

Arranged pickup at Cable Beach (Resort). Watched strange yellow bus with Kimberley Adventure Tours logo on the side go to Cable Beach bus stop then drive away. Picked up 20 minutes later by apologetic Heath! Turns out we were lucky enough to have jagged the first Broome to Darwin run in the new vehicle (Iveco Daily 4x4 – very comfortable, lots of space). Picked up fellow travellers. A great bunch of men and women from 24 years old to me probably (62).

Headed out to Derby and The Gibb River Rd, stopped first night out by Tunnel Creek somewhere and learned firstly that we weren’t going to be stopping overnight near toilets or showers (we knew the facilities were going to be rudimentary but not quite this rudimentary!!), that we’d have our own personal swags to sleep in under the stars, and how to unpack/pack the trailer. A place for everything and everything in its place!

We ate well although I can’t remember what (some will!), but the food was great all the way. We had a little social then off for our first night in a swag in the starlight/moonlight. That night brought the first truly memorable experience of the trip. Waking up and looking up into the starry night sky was a wonderful thing, something I hadn’t done for a very long time and not in a place where there’s no city lights to interfere.

Up with the dawn. Well, nearly. Some people have a different idea of what that means apparently! Any time before 7.30 is close enough for me but I reckon we were up before that most days. A hearty breakfast, roll up our swags, wash the dishes, pack everything away and off to Tunnel Creek.

The next 8 days were very similar in terms of routine, but very different in experiences. We walked into gorges, swam under waterfalls, picked our way through loose rocks, forded streams, chased sun rises and sunsets, had close up looks at some of the wonders of the world (Bungle Bungles and Lake Argyle), annoyed snakes, took wonderful photos, made great friends and generally had a fantastic time. My wife had never been camping before never mind without facilities but she survived and had a great time (really, she did!!).

Our guide and driver, Heath, was fantastic. I picked him for a Sagittarian very early on because he was a bit bossy but he looked after us very well, showed off his bush cooking skills, modeled some interesting gear and generally kept us together and safe while letting us have fun and feel like we were part of it.

A great experience thoroughly recommended for everyone who likes an adventure and isn’t dead yet!!

David

1  Thank DavidP9221
KimberleyAdventures, Owner at Kimberley Adventure Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

Hi David, thanks for the review and detailed account of your adventure, glad that Heath eventually found you at Cable Beach and that you went on to have a great trip.

I also agree that if you are not currently not dead then you should do this trip...

Reviewed 19 July 2016

This was the most amazing experience in the most amazing country. Our guide, Tommy, was cheeky and fun loving as well as responsible and caring. Our boys (10 and 12 years old) idolised him! It is an experience they (and we) will never forget. Camping under the stars with not another soul in sight was just so beautiful. We felt very well looked after with fabulous meals from a camp-oven genius and sneaky sight-seeing before the crowds and in out of the way places. Our boys were up with the sun, packing up swags and getting ready for the day. They were so excited for what each day would bring. I highly recommend this incredible tour with people who know how to really immerse you in the experience. Loved it!

Date of experience: June 2016

Howdy, so glad that you guys "loved it" and that Tommy looked after you and the kids so well.

Cheers. Tim

For other families looking at doing our tours, I made some comments about family trips in the previous review dated 17 July 2016 by Rachael B.

Reviewed 18 July 2016

This was my second kimberley adventure trip, my first was so good, I decided to come back again with my 12 year old daughter. And what a fantastic experience I had with her and the rest of the group. Tommy was an absolute legend, so considerate, motivating, fun and a genuine good aussie bloke. If i had a son, I'd want him to turn out just like Tommy!!..... We hiked, we chased waterfalls, we cooked, we laughed, we swam, we experienced Australia as it should be experienced, camping in swags under the stars. I'll be back with my other daughter when she gets to the same age.

Date of experience: June 2016

Hi Rachael, thanks for the review and so glad that you enjoyed the trip with your Daughter, Tommy is indeed and great guide and actually very good with kids and families, which is amazing considering he's young.

Till next time.....

Also ss this is a public forum others use to evaluate our tour I'd like to let everyone know about how kids and families fit in with our tours.

We have become quite popular with families and as a result will be nominating some future departures as "family friendly tours" these departures will be open to families and will normally coincide with Australia school holidays. At other times of the year our tours will restricted to 18+

That way if you are a family and like the idea of travelling with other families, you can join a family friendly tour, if you would rather not travel with children (shout out to all our school teachers and backpackers!) then you can select to travel at other times.

We hope to have more information about these options on our website shortly.

Reviewed 18 July 2016

We had the most amazing trip from Broome to Darwin...as is the case with all of these sort of tours its who is on the tour with you and who you have as a guide that comes into play. Tommy our guide had such a wonderful relaxed way about him...we had the best of all the gorges oftentimes arriving before everyone else with the whole place to ourselves...which is how you want to experience the Kimberley. ...But he is also an excellent chef...we had the most fantastic meals, various kinds of damper,roast lamb and beautiful fresh veg,restaurant quality pork belly in orange fennel and garlic,lovely breakfast and fresh salad wraps for lunches...all above and beyond expectations and cooked in the camp oven. Loved our evening banter around the roaring fire after a days travelling and hiking swimming in waterfalls and then slipping into swag out in the open counting shooting stars in the Kimberley night sky ( another highlight). I did this trip with my daughter apart from it being a wonderful experience to share together we met some fantastic people and thoroughly enjoyed getting to know everyone as we relaxed in each others company ..which doesnt take long when you have a communal spade called Doug for a bush toilet.
All in all thank you Tommy and Kimberley adventure tours for a wonderful experience.. we will be hard pressed to find anything like it

Date of experience: July 2016

Hi Deborah, thanks for taking the time to review our tour, so glad that enjoyed it, very special to share it with your daughter. Finding something like this trip actually just got a little easier, look out for our Perth to Broome west coast tours starting next year, maybe we'll see you again?

Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

What an amazing holiday! I was nervous about bush camping, by the end of the holiday I missed the camp fires and watching the starry sky from my swag. Our guide Tommy was excellent, the dinners he cooked on the camp fire were very impressive. He was a fabulous guide and made the effort to interact and have fun with everyone in the group. We never looked at our watches once the entire trip everything just seemed to happen just right between sunrise and sunset. Such spectacular scenery getting to popular places before everyone else was great! I recommend highly and would love to do this kind of trip again
Thank you for an awesome 9 days that I'll never forget!!!

Date of experience: July 2016

Wow, how special for KAT and Tommy to be part of your "trip of a lifetime", so glad that we could help make that happen for you, it really is beautiful out there and thanks for taking the time share your experience.