Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in great prices from these sites
Cassandra K
Darwin, Australia
Why the bad reviews?!
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 11 Dec 2019via mobile
Stayed for 2 weeks and it's been amazing. Great staff, aircon is a dream and always clean. Cutlery has to be hired so the kitchen is usually spotless. Best hostel in Darwin. I dont understand these bad reviews.
Date of stay: December 2019Trip type: Travelled solo
  • Novotel
    AU$329
7.7 km from Darwin YHA- Melaleuca on Mitchell
View more hotels in Darwin
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 November 2019 via mobile

Aircon, best staff, cheap drinks, perfect location, well organised and run!! We stayed in a 6 bed shared dorm and a private 2 person dorm with en-suite and both were clean, comfortable and presentable.

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 1 November 2019 via mobile

I stayed at the melaleuca for 3 nights while in Darwin. The rooms were clean and the air con worked well. The staff were super friendly. Shout out to Sebastian who reunited me with my lost teddy bear. Thank you.

Date of stay: November 2019
2  Thank chloecurray
Reviewed 17 October 2019

Amazing hostel located in the heart of Darwin. Amazing facilities, the laundry room perfect after doing the over night trip in Kakadu. The pool and common areas are perfect for relaxing when waiting to catch a late flight. Thank you for an amazing stay.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank aidu19
Reviewed 20 September 2019 via mobile

We stayed in the hostel for four nights, in a mixed dorm. Facilities are generally ok, beds are ok, clean, kitchen can be a bit better (stoves don't work). Staff is friendly and helpfull. Although this a very big party hostel, and I don't particularly like this type of hostel, I was happy with my stay.

Date of stay: August 2019
1  Thank SachaGobeyn
Reviewed 2 September 2019

The hostel is fine but considering the reputation YHA has I had higher hopes.

I emailed on 3 seperate occassions before arrival and recieved no response to any of these. 2 emails were trying to organise the shuttle bus so I had to fork out for a taxi instead.

The facilities are good. The pool is clean and has a few mattress type beds to lounge on. The bar is affordable and has a good atmosphere.

The key card to get into the rooms was nothing but hassle. It often took between 3-5 attempts for it to work. This seemed to be with many people and in different rooms so it wasnt just mine. This is especially annoying late at night with people coming and going at all hours.

My room (84) smelled awful -a persistant musty smell somewhere between vinegar and sweaty socks. Every time I walked into the room I had to give myself a few minutes to re-adjust to the smell. It wasnt unbearable but certainly not pleasant.

The bathrooms were kept clean and in good condition.

The kitchen was usually ok but it was a regular occurance for people to not clean up after themselves and leave a mess for the next person. This isnt the hostels fault but maybe they could put up signs reminding people it is a shared space and noone is here to clean up after them.maybe the threat of a fine or eviction might help.

On my last day as I was passing another room I noticed between 10 -15 bugs outside a room on level 2(pics below).I also removed my pillow case and noticed its covered in black spots that look like it may have been caused from dampness but I could be wrong about that.

Overall,its not a horrible place but there are other options in the area. I would not stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2019