Lowest prices for your stay
ZenHotels.com
AU$122
Agoda.com
AU$119
Multiple ways to pay
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 November 2019 via mobile

I stayed at the melaleuca for 3 nights while in Darwin. The rooms were clean and the air con worked well. The staff were super friendly. Shout out to Sebastian who reunited me with my lost teddy bear. Thank you.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank chloecurray
Reviewed 17 October 2019

Amazing hostel located in the heart of Darwin. Amazing facilities, the laundry room perfect after doing the over night trip in Kakadu. The pool and common areas are perfect for relaxing when waiting to catch a late flight. Thank you for an amazing stay.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank aidu19
Reviewed 20 September 2019 via mobile

We stayed in the hostel for four nights, in a mixed dorm. Facilities are generally ok, beds are ok, clean, kitchen can be a bit better (stoves don't work). Staff is friendly and helpfull. Although this a very big party hostel, and I don't particularly like this type of hostel, I was happy with my stay.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank SachaGobeyn
Reviewed 2 September 2019

The hostel is fine but considering the reputation YHA has I had higher hopes.

I emailed on 3 seperate occassions before arrival and recieved no response to any of these. 2 emails were trying to organise the shuttle bus so I had to fork out for a taxi instead.

The facilities are good. The pool is clean and has a few mattress type beds to lounge on. The bar is affordable and has a good atmosphere.

The key card to get into the rooms was nothing but hassle. It often took between 3-5 attempts for it to work. This seemed to be with many people and in different rooms so it wasnt just mine. This is especially annoying late at night with people coming and going at all hours.

My room (84) smelled awful -a persistant musty smell somewhere between vinegar and sweaty socks. Every time I walked into the room I had to give myself a few minutes to re-adjust to the smell. It wasnt unbearable but certainly not pleasant.

The bathrooms were kept clean and in good condition.

The kitchen was usually ok but it was a regular occurance for people to not clean up after themselves and leave a mess for the next person. This isnt the hostels fault but maybe they could put up signs reminding people it is a shared space and noone is here to clean up after them.maybe the threat of a fine or eviction might help.

On my last day as I was passing another room I noticed between 10 -15 bugs outside a room on level 2(pics below).I also removed my pillow case and noticed its covered in black spots that look like it may have been caused from dampness but I could be wrong about that.

Overall,its not a horrible place but there are other options in the area. I would not stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank 32nikkim
Reviewed 14 August 2019

I only gave this place three stars because the staff here went out of their way to help me when two drunk, belligerent roommates got out of control one night in the 4-bed female dorm. Staff helped me move to another room and got me in right away rather than check out and have a long wait to check in again. So that's worth an extra point.

Otherwise, this place is terrible. Most backpacker places on Mitchell and in Darwin are more party-focused, but I didn't expect it would be this bad. The kitchen is run down, and only one side of one toaster works (there are three total). You have to rent cutlery and plates for $10 AUD deposit (which no one tells you when you check in), and the beds are old and rickety. Oh, and there are only 2 outlets in the entire dorm, which leads to some issues for 4 people or more in a room. But there is good storage in the dorms, which was a nice surprise.

Laundry is available on-site and lots of outdoor room to dry.

Music is played at the bar until about 3am and there is music from other bars next door that go until about then too. This place is just loud, all the time. Between the drunk people in the halls and noise coming from the bar area.

If you don't want to rage and get black out drunk, and you stay here, I would say spring for the private room at the Value Inn next door. You get actual peace and quiet there. Yes it's more expensive but it's quality of life.

Hostel has good long-term storage while you're on tour and will store valuables separately. I'm grateful for that as it made my Kakadu tour much more manageable without all my gear.

I'm also very appreciative of the staff help for my rooming issue but I will never ever stay here again and would not advise it of others, unless they get the private room. This is definitely not normal YHA standards (and I've stayed in YHAs all over Australia).

Date of stay: August 2019