eDreams
Agoda.com
Multiple ways to pay
Bayjb
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Loud, dirty party hostel. But in a jam, staff is really helpful

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 14 Aug 2019
I only gave this place three stars because the staff here went out of their way to help me when two drunk, belligerent roommates got out of control one night in the 4-bed female dorm. Staff helped me move to another room and got me in right away rather than check out and have a long wait to check in again. So that's worth an extra point.

Otherwise, this place is terrible. Most backpacker places on Mitchell and in Darwin are more party-focused, but I didn't expect it would be this bad. The kitchen is run down, and only one side of one toaster works (there are three total). You have to rent cutlery and plates for $10 AUD deposit (which no one tells you when you check in), and the beds are old and rickety. Oh, and there are only 2 outlets in the entire dorm, which leads to some issues for 4 people or more in a room. But there is good storage in the dorms, which was a nice surprise.

Laundry is available on-site and lots of outdoor room to dry.

Music is played at the bar until about 3am and there is music from other bars next door that go until about then too. This place is just loud, all the time. Between the drunk people in the halls and noise coming from the bar area.

If you don't want to rage and get black out drunk, and you stay here, I would say spring for the private room at the Value Inn next door. You get actual peace and quiet there. Yes it's more expensive but it's quality of life.

Hostel has good long-term storage while you're on tour and will store valuables separately. I'm grateful for that as it made my Kakadu tour much more manageable without all my gear.

I'm also very appreciative of the staff help for my rooming issue but I will never ever stay here again and would not advise it of others, unless they get the private room. This is definitely not normal YHA standards (and I've stayed in YHAs all over Australia).
Date of stay: August 2019
    AU$332
  • Algotels
0.9 km from Darwin YHA- Melaleuca on Mitchell
Restaurant
Cabin with one queen bed
Tripadvisor
Fitness centre
    AU$131
7.7 km from Darwin YHA- Melaleuca on Mitchell
View more hotels in Darwin
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 August 2019

I gave this place a poor review because there was loud partying noises till 6am in the morning. If you are a light sleeper this is not a good place to stay however if you can sleep anywhere it's worth saving the money on hotels to explore Darwin better. They don;t let you turn off air conditioners which are loud and very old, the toilets can be cleaner, sometimes males use the shared female toilets, I didn't feel safe or secure there. The staff are friendly and easily refunded my money for the nights I cancelled, I ended up moving to a pricey hotel just so I could get sleep, the fridges and kitchen could also be cleaner. The location of the YHA is great.

Date of stay: August 2019
1  Thank adventureseeker133
Reviewed 26 July 2019

The staff at this hostel are brilliant and the hostel is generally clean and bright. I liked this hostel for it’s location, staff and rooms.

However, the kitchen and general layout I hated. The toasters don’t work properly, the fridges are over packed and most annoyingly, there are no decent cooking knives or pots/pans. In fact there are just two bread knives and no sharp knives for chopping.

Rental crockery here too. The kitchen is in an awkward place because it’s literally in the bar. I didn’t like the layout of the hostel at all. I don’t think I’d stay again to be honest but it was okay for a once off.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank odkatie
Reviewed 12 July 2019

We've booked 3 nights in a private room in melaleuca yha but got a room in another place next door (called value inn). The smell inside was terrible and the room really dirty and just not nice at all (carpets dirty, hair everywhere, noisy aircon...). You can hear everything from outside. There is no safe, no stuff or security at night.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2019 via mobile

We stayed here for one night before heading away on a tour. There were four girls in a 4-bed room with our own bathroom.

Check in was easy (we did it online the day before so we only had to show ID). Our room was clean although well loved. The bedding was clean and there was access to a locker each in our room.

Negatives - the aircon was super loud and we couldn’t adjust it (at least there was one though). The carpet could probably be updated and there was only two power points for 4 people. I’m really clutching at straws though. For the cost of the room it was excellent.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2019 via mobile

A large hostel with plenty of facilities, including swimming pool, lockers, washing facilities, car hire right next door and it’s opposite coles. It’s right in the town centre of Darwin, in a fantastic location. I would definitely stay here again.