4 people are viewing this hotel
capepat
Melbourne, Australia

Terrible experience

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 19 July 2021via mobile
I stayed 3 nights at Mindil Beach resort in July. I had high hopes as I saw the pictures of this beautiful resort online so I was so excited. I travel to Darwin once a year but had never stayed there before.
First of all the room was old and tired and in need of a Reno. The air con did not work in my room and either did the tv. I complained about the aircon to reception the first night but they said they would have to wait till morning for maintenance to have a look at it. So I had an uncomfortable 1st night sleep.
The next day it still
Was not fixed by 5pm so I called again and they sent concierge up with a temp gauge which recorded 27 degrees. I demanded to be moved but they said that there were no spare rooms and the best they could do was find some spare fans. I was not happy with this and asked to speak to a manger. In the end they found another room
For me which was not as big as the one I previously had but at least the aircon worked. And the tv!! But In my new room
The bathroom door was stuck and never shut plus only one light worked in the bathroom so it was so dark. Also I had to ask 3 times for my room to be made up as housekeeping did not clean it the day before.
The management did send a free bottle of champagne up to my room and a card apologising for all the issues but I don’t drink alcohol so it was wasted in me. It would have been nicer to get a free meal or discount on my bill. Overall the only good thing was the lagoon pool. I enjoyed that.
Otherwise the service and amenities were poor for the price you were paying.
I will not be staying here when next in Darwin.
Date of stay: June 2021
    AU$179
4.9 km from Mindil Beach Casino Resort
View more hotels in Darwin
1,098 results
All reviews lagoon pool swim up bar mindil beach il piatto dragon court spa bath chinese restaurant mindil markets the ground floor cullen bay vue sandbar cbd
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 July 2021 via mobile

This is a good hotel and likely one of the best in Darwin. The staff ate generally very well trained (especially reception and housekeeping) and it has the facilities you’d expect of a property within a lot of ‘stars’. The bedroom I had (superior spa room) was good - slightly damp smelling on arrival but much more nicely fragranced thereafter! The spa bath was great and the TV had multiple channels and pay movies. Wifi was OK when I arrived but rapidly deteriorated as more people checked in and went online.
The weakest part is the restaurant service, especially at breakfast. The one breakfast I did have was just about OK but you could have had better at a local cafe. The following day, I couldn’t get breakfast at all at the hotel (was advised of a 40 minute wait to get anything) and was advised by reception to walk to a local cafe - which I did and was great (Eva’s at the botanic gardens) and so went there every subsequent day.
This is a casino and resort and so popular with locals. On a very bright sunny Sunday, the pool/bar area was totally over-run with locals and there was absolutely nowhere for hotel residents to sit and it was really unpleasant to try to swim in the pool while people just stood in it drinking beer. I ended up sat on a bench just outside the resort facing the beach.
Overall, I think the hotel does need a few quiet areas for residents to relax in, away from the other business operation (gambling and hospitality).
That said, this was a good experience and the part of the hotel where I was staying was quiet and peaceful.

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank EnglishViv
Reviewed 11 July 2021

We only stopped in to have a look around and a play on the pokies and thought if the restaurants looked ok we may stop for lunch. We are used to Crown Casino in Melbourne so we were a bit surprised at how small it is but it seemed very clean and there were lots of friendly staff around ready to help. After looking around we put some money through the machines and then went to have a look at the menus at the restaurants. Nothing really excited us that much so we decided to go somewhere else. We had a look at the pool area and were very impressed with the infinity pool.

Date of stay: July 2021
Reviewed 27 June 2021 via mobile

When Darwin went into lockdown, this hotel swung into action. Although I must confess I thought closing the pools was a bit excessive, but on reflection it was the right thing to do. Speaking of the right thing to do, giving a meaningful $100 daily room service voucher was an excellent piece of customer relations. Well done manager. Before it was closed, the lagoon pool was better than any we’ve found in Australia. The staff are fantastic, the food is ok though a bit limited and the accommodation dated, but there’s nothing wrong with dated.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank HarryL364
Reviewed 25 June 2021

The day before we were booked in we emailed the Hotel with regard to our check in and did not get a response back, not a great start. It didn't improve the team on the front desk were far from welcoming on our arrival.

We stayed for 2 nights on the Friday we went to go down to the Infinity Pool and it was chock full of Back Packers who were allowed access for the day for a Pool Party. At no stage were we informed by the staff that this was occurring. We went to the Lagoon Pool with a swim up bar where we found ripped, damaged beach chair cushions that were riddled with sand.

In all my wife and I were disappointed and would not recommend staying here.

On the other hand the security and restaurant staff at the casino itself were exceptionally helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

3  Thank toottaxi
Reviewed 21 June 2021 via mobile

This place is in a lovely location but very limited service. We weren’t allowed as a family to enter the infinity pool on Friday Saturday or Sunday. So we entered on Monday and there was no service. We had to go into the casino to get drinks and snacks. As my husband had a towel on, the security guard wasn’t going to let him collect our food as he needed to go back and put some shorts on. Empty drink glasses and plates were not collected the whole time we were there, which was 2.5 hours. I booked 2 rooms months ago and they couldn’t put them next to each other. Location is fab for sunset! Your not paying for any service here.

Trip type: Travelled with family