Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Fri, 1 Mar
No prepayment needed
Priceline
Fully refundable before Fri, 1 Mar
Hotel Website
Fully refundable before Sat, 2 Mar
No prepayment needed
2,329 results
All reviews central location great location walking distance mitchell st wet season supermarket cafes harbour
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 February 2022

This review needs to be taken in context :-
(1) Covid Conditions active in Darwin
(2) Its the WET SEASON
(3) Darwin Hospitality is still recovering from Lock Down and staff shortages.

That having been said my experience was extremely disappointing.

ROOM 318 - 3 nights.
I made my reservation through Quality Guest Rewards and at no time during the process was I alerted or warned that Rydges Darwin had NO active in-house dining facility, and NO active in-house bar facility - had I known that these elements were UNAVAILABLE I would have stayed elsewhere.

There was NO-ONE on reception at 18:00 Wednesday when we arrived to check-in ... just a sign advising us to use the "contactless check-in/check-out" screen which we eventually successfully navigated (2x cyber challenged seniors need I say more) and got our key from the machine - all in all a very cold, unfriendly, unwelcoming experience.

After eventually making contact (have to use your own phone in reception) with a human-being (the Night Manager) I enquired about breakfast options and was advised that I would need to purchase 2x$25 breakfast vouchers and breakfast would be available at a nearby restaurant - fortunately I didn't make the purchase and later discovered that the afore mentioned restaurant only charged $21 for a full breakfast - go figure

The room was clean and quiet and everything worked however we had to "request" that our room be serviced...apparently its not a daily event unless you request it and you need to track down the Manager to make the request.

The rubbish bin in the room was similar to the tiny bin most people have on their kitchen sink for scraps...two empty stubby bottles and a little supermarket packaging waste and she was full and overflowing so I just stacked our rubbish on the floor as close to the bin as possible - not the most hygienic facility during a pandemic...buy some additional garbage bin liners if you intend to use the room for breakfast etc. cos there aint no dining room...(the old trick of the cleaner leaving additional bags under the liner in use does not apply at Rydges Darwin)

We did not see or interact with another human being (except the Day and Night Managers) for our entire 3 night stay - very cold and unwelcoming environment - would not stay here again.

Room tip: Find Another Hotel that values its customers !
Date of stay: February 2022
Reviewed 26 October 2021

When we arrived at the hotel we had to do contactless check in helped by a member off staff to which i was asked to make payment, we were then asked if we wanted housekeeping everyday to which we said yes. Upon entering our room it smelt musty and was very basic for a 4.5 star hotel, we then noticed that there was a note that there may not be housekeeping on occasions, i feel we should have been told this before we paid for the room as it was advertised as full housekeeping. we then went back to reception and asked for the room to be freshened up to which it was.
After checking the amenities it was found that the restaurant and the bar was closed and were using outside caterers but still no bar.
After viewing the pool area it was very disappointing, the pool was small but the area was at best disgusting, the paint was peeling off the wall and was black with mold and a door at the area of the changing rooms black with mold and also the water in the pool was a milky color so we never used it. The hotel has provided WIFI as described but the connection was so slow 0.81 download and 0.21 upload as (tested via speedtest) these speed are unacceptable as it wasn't even enough to open a wed page.
We then went to use the washing machines for guest use one was out of order for our duration of stay and one took out money and didn't start, there was also an ice machine that was for guest use that was also out of order. Then a lift was out of order for 3 days. Our booking was from the 9th October until the 23rd October but by the 18th we had had enough of staying in a poor run hotel.
We made arrangements to speak to the manager about our discontent with our stay at this hotel, she told us that the hotel had been shut for 1 year during covid i do realize that that times have been hard but this alleged 4.5 star hotel (which was also confirmed with the manager) in answer to our questions we were told that everything has changed during covid, well i have to agree with her. The answer to the very poor internet was that we do not have $500.000 a year to spend on internet. As for the disgusting walls in the pool area her answer was i have been waiting for enough work to put team of maintenance worker in to make it viable, being in the building industry there is enough work for a team in this hotel for a month.
I then broached the issue of no housekeeping and said that we should have been told before we paid for our room that we should have been told that we may not get what was advertised which is wrong, i asked her if there used to be telephones in the rooms before covid she said yes they have all been removed since reopening. In my opinion this hotel is being run on a shoe string, there was no staff on reception. The manager offered us a refund on the last 5 nights of our stay to which we agreed and received a refund. We moved to another 4 star hotel locally and it was a breath of fresh air for us, totally differently run. A positive for this hotel Rydges Darwin Central is its location but this is its only good point. Would not recomend

Date of stay: October 2021
1  Thank nigelmE1617FK
Reviewed 10 October 2021 via mobile

Not impressed with do it yourself check in. only saw 2 office staff during 5 day stay. Breakfast is a walk around the corner at $28 Pool area is tiny with no atmosphere, decor is very dated and depressing. Definitely not a holiday feel about this motel, ok for a night stop over. Pick up your game Rydges!! … Darwin deserves better.

Room tip: Put your joggers on for breakfast run!! Only suitable for a one night stay.
Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2021

The Ridges is centrally located, less than 100m to the mall, Mitchell Street and Smith Street. Easy walking distance to all but two of my favourite Darwin eateries and had optional parking.
The rooms are competitively priced and quiet. We had a second floor room over the side entrance and heard nothing all night. We are about to have another stay shortly.
The room we had was musty, the tropical humid aircon smell that the older hotels have, The room had a window, but we couldn't open it to air the room out.
The only other issue we had was with a bottle of wine that was delivered to our room had been opened before it was delivered?? Most peculiar.
We will stay again and see if the mustiness is hotel wide or just the original room we got. Apart from that, it is a quiet, spacious and ver comfortable place to stay.

Date of stay: September 2021
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Spire555
Reviewed 15 September 2021

The location was great, and everything worked fine. No real complaints. I don't recall costs for comparative places nearby, but I have in mind that it was good value for money.

It all worked OK and the overall experience was fine, if a bit soul-less. The computerised check-in process was a bit odd - maybe if I'd been forewarned it would have been less so. We didn't need any staff assistance, which is probably just as well as the whole place had a somewhat "deserted" feeling about it. I'm not sure that I would stay again. On balance, if someone asked me what it was like I would probably say "it was OK, but <see above>".

I might be being a bit harsh - maybe this was a sort of a Covid reaction I experienced. Maybe they just need to cut costs in any way possible.

Date of stay: September 2021