Algotels
Lol.travel
Vio.com
Chris G
Only if you want somewhere to sleep for one night
Review of Palms Motel
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 July 2017
If all you are looking for is a place to arrive late, sleep, and leave early then at least the rates are competitive and you get what you pay for. Perfectly clean, safe and comfortable but don't expect much else. A typical Australian roadside motel (but without any traffic noise), with tea & coffee, fridge, TV, swimming pool and large rooms. Handy for airport which is 20 minutes away by shuttle. But no public transport, no taxis driving by and limited WiFi only at Reception. But it is actually walking distance to Mindal Beach and night markets. That is well worth the 15 minute stroll. Also, the Botanical Gardens is less than 10 minute walk. Bathroom is in need of upgrade. One big issue for me was other guests sitting outside my room talking and smoking until very late (hence reason for "poorer" sleep rating). Other guests seem to be drifters, backpackers or casual workers. But all were pleasant.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Algotels
    AU$299
6.9 km from Palms Motel
View more hotels in Darwin
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Very Competitive Rates compared to others which have similar facilities; Very friendly and helpful Manager, Mick. Also the House Keeping staff is very friendly and helpful. Walking distance to Darwin City Mall and Mindell Beach, which has Thursday and Sunday Night markets; Few meters to Darwin's Botanical Garden. I will be staying here for over 6 weeks. Pool and outdoor waiting facilities and laundry available. Relaxed atmosphere. Coles Express and bottle shop is just a couple of minutes walk; Shuttle Bus service ($20) Darwin airport to Motels: I took this bus from the Airport and the first stop was at this Palms Motel. If you want to cook your own meals, you can do that too; reasonable cooking facilities available - microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge, frying pan, cutlery, etc - Budget rooms can accommodate upto 3 people. There are some family rooms, 1 - 2 bed room apartments are also available. I am already planning to come here again in 2018 during June - August.

Room tip: I chose Room 22, top Floor because I like to see green trees from my window.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank dondayananda
Reviewed 27 April 2017

I chose this place over others which had a similar room rate because it advertised free wifi. Indeed the wifi was good, I was in Room 2, perhaps it's patchy further away from the office. Quite spacious, clean room, fan was excellent(still humid in April), kitchenette very handy. About a 4 block walk to a large supermarket, smaller one closer. Easy and pleasant walk down to the botanic garden, around the golf course, casino and down to Cullen Bay marina & little shops.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank elizsh
Reviewed 8 July 2016

I have not yet stayed, but walked into Palms Motel 3-4 times, inspected different rooms, talked to the Manager Micheal and also to some guests who are staying there. ALL GOOD. Why I did that? I am looking for a cheaper place with necessary facilities such as Microwave, kitchenette, cutlery, etc, and friendly, understandable Manager. Also I need to be able to walk to city centre, Mindil Beach Sunset Markets, Darwin Botanical Garden and Esplanade. Palms Motel location at 100, McMinn St satisfy all those conditions. This month (July 2016) I am staying at Alatai; Palms Motel is next door. Price at Palms Motel is much much cheaper. You can negotiate weekly rates, monthly rates with Micheal. You get the best price in Darwin Dry Season at Palms Motel. Accommodation prices are generally very high in Darwin, particularly June - August because in this dry season many Aussies also come to Darwin from South to escape cold winter. I also came to Darwin for a month as I like warm weather and I am escaping the coldest month of the year in Brisbane. Because the accommodation prices in Darwin (dry season) is very high, I have been looking for alternative places while living in Alatai Holiday Apartments, which is expensive (even the monthly rate). Then I found the best rates in Darwin at Palms Motel, (next door to Alatai). I don't think you can find a better rate than Palms Motel with good location and necessary facilities. Palms motel has only few rooms and you get personal attention; that is an added advantage. I am now planning to stay in Palms Motel for a bit longer than a month next year (2017) June- July. I have already negotiated a deal and tentatively booked Palms Motel, pending flight bookings. Remember, Palms Motel also have 1-2 bedroom apartments for families. Budget rooms can accommodate upto 3 people. I stay single and I asked Micheal to remove the extra beds leaving only one bed for me in the room; he happily agreed to do that when I come in next year (2017) July. If you want to catch bus to Casuarina , Palmerston, Rapid Creek, University, etc, it is within walking distance from Palms Motel. Bus fares are relatively cheap and you can return on the same ticket as long as you do it within 3 hours. There is a golf course within 10 minutes walk from Palms Motel.

Room tip: It depends on the travellers preference
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank dondayananda
Reviewed 31 May 2016 via mobile

Simple & clean. Must be leak in shower tiles as water was on tiles pooling next to toilet but wouldn't drain as the drain appeared blocked.
Great if on a budget, very spacious.
Didn't use pool but looked nice.
Coin washing machine out back which was handy.
Tavern & bottle shop across the road, very convenient.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank JennyC720
Reviewed 22 September 2015

Stayed there for 3 nights and would stay again if ever back in Darwin because of its close proximity to the CBD. Had requested a budget room but with mugs, dishes, etc as advertised but, according to other reviewers, not always provided in rooms. Michael, the manager/owner (?) had upgraded us to a larger room at no extra charge as it was easier he said to do that rather than making sure there dishes in the smaller room.

He was very friendly and helpful with regard to suggestions what to do and where to go which we appreciated and allowed us to sit by the pool long after we'd checked out as we had a late flight out that night - all very commendable.

The downsides: the motel needs some serious freshening up as it is very dated, has a very strong musty smell in the bathroom,a calendar in the trip info folder dating back to 2013 and a slight problem with what I thought were roaches in the 'kitchen area' at night - not many but even a few is too many in my opinion. The 'kitchen in our very large 3 bed room had huge counters, lots of cabinets, a kettle, toaster and only a hotplate to prepare meals. No fancy meals could be made here.

My biggest concern is that there was no wifi in the rooms or on the lovely balconies outside the rooms; in fact the only very spotty wifi was available outside the office, with no power outlets to charge your devices, about 50 steps away from our room. There is only one, very dim light left on when it gets dark for those wanting to access their computers, etc; that light was so filled with dead bugs there was little light actually showing through. I had to wear a headlamp to work on the computer because of the light!

Date of stay: September 2015