Algotels
Lol.travel
Vio.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 July 2016

I have not yet stayed, but walked into Palms Motel 3-4 times, inspected different rooms, talked to the Manager Micheal and also to some guests who are staying there. ALL GOOD. Why I did that? I am looking for a cheaper place with necessary facilities such as Microwave, kitchenette, cutlery, etc, and friendly, understandable Manager. Also I need to be able to walk to city centre, Mindil Beach Sunset Markets, Darwin Botanical Garden and Esplanade. Palms Motel location at 100, McMinn St satisfy all those conditions. This month (July 2016) I am staying at Alatai; Palms Motel is next door. Price at Palms Motel is much much cheaper. You can negotiate weekly rates, monthly rates with Micheal. You get the best price in Darwin Dry Season at Palms Motel. Accommodation prices are generally very high in Darwin, particularly June - August because in this dry season many Aussies also come to Darwin from South to escape cold winter. I also came to Darwin for a month as I like warm weather and I am escaping the coldest month of the year in Brisbane. Because the accommodation prices in Darwin (dry season) is very high, I have been looking for alternative places while living in Alatai Holiday Apartments, which is expensive (even the monthly rate). Then I found the best rates in Darwin at Palms Motel, (next door to Alatai). I don't think you can find a better rate than Palms Motel with good location and necessary facilities. Palms motel has only few rooms and you get personal attention; that is an added advantage. I am now planning to stay in Palms Motel for a bit longer than a month next year (2017) June- July. I have already negotiated a deal and tentatively booked Palms Motel, pending flight bookings. Remember, Palms Motel also have 1-2 bedroom apartments for families. Budget rooms can accommodate upto 3 people. I stay single and I asked Micheal to remove the extra beds leaving only one bed for me in the room; he happily agreed to do that when I come in next year (2017) July. If you want to catch bus to Casuarina , Palmerston, Rapid Creek, University, etc, it is within walking distance from Palms Motel. Bus fares are relatively cheap and you can return on the same ticket as long as you do it within 3 hours. There is a golf course within 10 minutes walk from Palms Motel.

Room tip: It depends on the travellers preference
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank dondayananda
Reviewed 31 May 2016 via mobile

Simple & clean. Must be leak in shower tiles as water was on tiles pooling next to toilet but wouldn't drain as the drain appeared blocked.
Great if on a budget, very spacious.
Didn't use pool but looked nice.
Coin washing machine out back which was handy.
Tavern & bottle shop across the road, very convenient.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank JennyC720
Reviewed 22 September 2015

Stayed there for 3 nights and would stay again if ever back in Darwin because of its close proximity to the CBD. Had requested a budget room but with mugs, dishes, etc as advertised but, according to other reviewers, not always provided in rooms. Michael, the manager/owner (?) had upgraded us to a larger room at no extra charge as it was easier he said to do that rather than making sure there dishes in the smaller room.

He was very friendly and helpful with regard to suggestions what to do and where to go which we appreciated and allowed us to sit by the pool long after we'd checked out as we had a late flight out that night - all very commendable.

The downsides: the motel needs some serious freshening up as it is very dated, has a very strong musty smell in the bathroom,a calendar in the trip info folder dating back to 2013 and a slight problem with what I thought were roaches in the 'kitchen area' at night - not many but even a few is too many in my opinion. The 'kitchen in our very large 3 bed room had huge counters, lots of cabinets, a kettle, toaster and only a hotplate to prepare meals. No fancy meals could be made here.

My biggest concern is that there was no wifi in the rooms or on the lovely balconies outside the rooms; in fact the only very spotty wifi was available outside the office, with no power outlets to charge your devices, about 50 steps away from our room. There is only one, very dim light left on when it gets dark for those wanting to access their computers, etc; that light was so filled with dead bugs there was little light actually showing through. I had to wear a headlamp to work on the computer because of the light!

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2015

Stayed in this this motel as an overnight stop while transiting through Darwin en-route to Alice Springs. Arrived at the motel at about 7:30pm, already dark. No lit property signage so very difficult for taxi to locate property. Check in O.K. , property owner/manager very helpful.

Property itself is very dated, and while clean and tidy , the facilities are in need of a major upgrade--bathroom in particular.
Property located within walking distance, probably 15 minutes , of the main entertainment region of Darwin.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank globalraveller32
Reviewed 4 August 2015

We spent three nights at the Palms following our arrival in Darwin on a birding trip. The location was perfect for us, since the hotel is next door to the Botanic Gardens and near the Stuart Highway as well, so it was easy to get out of town quickly to visit some birding locations. The accommodation is basic: the room was rather spartan and cheaply furnished, but the kitchenette had everything we needed including an excellent electric frying pan, and the small fridge kept our food supplies, and our drinking water and beer, ice-cold. There is a pub across the road, which we did not try, with an attached drive-thru bottle shop, and a good Thai restaurant (Green Chillies, reviewed separately) a couple of minutes' walk away. The owner is genial and can provide advice about where to eat (it was he who advised the Green Chillies). The pool is small but good. Our room was air-conditioned (you use your room key tag to activate the air-conditioning). There is a coin laundry on site, which was very useful to us. The motel is not cheap, but nothing in NT is cheap! A dead cockroach in the cabinet under the sink was an unwelcome surprise, but not unexpected in the tropics. NB: there is no internet service of any kind at The Palms, which was a major inconvenience (we finally went to McDonald's on Smith St in the CBD to take advantage of their free wifi, but that involved a fairly long walk).

Room tip: Rooms seem to be pretty much the same, and we found ours to be quiet
Date of stay: July 2015