“Wouldn't stay again”

Alice in the Territory
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Stayed here for two nights in October as part of a month long trip to Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately all of the semi-nice looking properties in town looked to be booked even 4 months in advance. This property used to be a Novotel but I honestly can't see how - it's probably not the worst hotel I've stayed in but it's one of them.

The photos on the website are actually pretty accurate but the rooms feel grubby all over - the curtains , carpet and especially the bathroom / bath are dirty. I certainly didn't feel clean or that the room provided ample protection from the elements outside. It had a rather strange smell in the room which stayed even once the AC was switched on (only stays on whilst a strange piece of white plastic on the key is inserted into the wall).

We didn't try the pool area or the restaurant but the restaurant looked dead and so did the pool area. Getting to the rooms is outdoors on paving stones. The hotel is located out of town and is a ten minute taxi journey away. It's just accross the road from the casino though if you need to escape from the hotel. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again - the staff were reasonable and it did include free transfers to the airport which were excellent but I was glad to leave.

While in Alice we visited the casino (Lassiters) just accross the road and if their rooms are even half as nice as the rest of the building I would stay there in a heartbeat as it's miles better. Unfortunately though it was fully booked on our dates.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank liamuk2
There are newer reviews for Alice in the Territory

Reviewed 27 October 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and going by the pictures and information on the web it should have been an excellant stay,HOW WRONG IT WAS.
Rooms dirty looked behind the curtains to open the windows which had cobwebs every where and window runners full of dirt.There was no information in the room about any of there facilities or meal times.NO MINI BAR even though all information we read up on said there was.
The pool was no safe to use because if you steeped the wrong way you would cut your feet to pieces.
The gym was out of order.
the bath looked like it had never been cleaned properly the exhaust fan was filthy the drains stunk and the toilet flushed properly when it wanted to.
Breakfast in the dinning room was an experience in its self the toaster did not toast correctly and when the waitress was asked what was wrong with it she would just walk away and go and stand behind the bar to munch away on her own food in full view of every one and could not be bothered to even clean up serving areas,And for a restaurant you would not expect to have cobwebs anywhere and dirty floors.We checked the menu whilst we were there and I have seen better priced and presented menus in pubs.
I have since tried to log onto their adverised web site which is a waste of time as it does not work.
So if you are not fussy about clean safe accommadation then by all means stay there but I for one will never reccommend this hotel to any one and will never stay there again.
If you are looking for budget accommadation there are better ones in Alice Springs than this one.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Terri2rian
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Always believe tripadvisor reviews. I wanted a room with a bathtub and as the other Alice Springs choices were booked out I went against advice and booked this as I thought how bad can it be?
When L checked in I asked the indifferent staff if I could change my booking from a family room to double. No booked out!!!! Must have been a bus tour as there weren't many cars in the car park.
A cursory glance at the hotel room, seemed basic and had a funny smell?Dont worry airconditioning should fix that and freshen stale air.Leaving our stuff and returning much later the room still smelt. It was only when I went to the bathroom I actually saw its condition .The old bath.hidden by the shower curtain was BROWN stained and plug hole mottley UGH!!!! the basin was crazed but worst of all the toilet was leaking water from the back and that was where the stink was coming from.It was too late at night to consider changing hotels but after a sleepless night in a squishy bed with the oldest flattest pillows I have ever seen I now realise I should have. After paying extra just to have a bath tub I couldnt even use it and left the hotel feeling filthy.
When I mentioned the stink and leaking toilet the only response was I got was" I will mention it to maintenance". No apologies or compensation.When I asked if this was the standard of their other rooms she replied" some are better than others". As we were paying top price for our room without breakfast I wondered if ours was one of the better ones.!!!! The hotel must have known the condition of the room as the smell was apparent when we arrived but they showed a total lack of care.I cant believe this hotel advertises itself as 4 star itl doesnt even rate one star and I will be writing to the hotel Chain to complain.I am sure the local backpacker would offer a cleaner better room with better service.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED TAKE MY ADVICE AVOID THIS ROTTEN HOTEL.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gooz
Reviewed 2 March 2008

This is the worst hotel from far in our trip of 26 days.
This is my reasons :
- I booked under Novotel brand and when I came in alicespring impossible to find them just because they change in Quality Inn, they could tell us this change.
- The price when booked was difficult to obtain
- The room was quite spacy but the beds were very inconfortable (the weakest point), the bathroom is 1 square meter and like is spatial ship. Curtains were dirty.
- The swimming pool is out of order during summer !
- The checkin was long and not effcicent.
- the hotel is old and must be rebuilt. The lights were not working properly.

Avoid this hotel ...

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Airwise
Reviewed 16 December 2007

We stayed for 2 nights as part of our trek around Australia. The hotel has recently changed to the Comfort Inn but all the transfer companies are aware of the change.

The hotel is slightly out of town, however all trips collect from this hotel and it's only AUS$10 to get into the town. The hotel was cheap and cheerful, good value for the money. The rooms were clean and spacious and well equipped. The bathrooms are an all in one room - looks like something from the space age - very clean.

The staff were really friendly and very helpful. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who needed a bed for a few nights, not alot to do around the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Loulou585