“Lunch”

Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Stopped here for a late lunch
Pretty expensive - but on holidays
Food pretty good
Service a little slow - only 3 other tables
Overall pretty good

1  Thank brettandkaran
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This was supposed to be the highlight of our Sydney dinner experience. I could've had 5 days worth of sushi at a better restaurant for the amount I paid for one dinner with my 9 year old daughter. We ordered the Cold Seafood Platter ($120) to share and a child's calamari and chips with drink and ice cream included ($15). To be fair we did order the child's calamari only after seeing that the Seafood Platter was not enough to fill us. I also ordered garlic toast after the platter arrived so that we could put our salmon on it. I also ordered a beer. We viewed many menus before deciding on Blue Fish mostly for the oysters and Alaskan crab. Our platter consisted if 6 Oysters, Tiger Prawns in 1/2 a cantaloupe, Moreton Bay Bugs, Smoked Salmon, 1/2 Alaskan Snow Crabs with sauces and lemon. I have since double checked the recent menus online and that is not what is on their $120 Platter at the time of this review.
After ordering our Platter, we never saw that same server again. My beer was empty and I wanted to order another but no one came buy. When the Platter arrived we ate about 3 minutes of food before we noticed that we wanted to order the child's calamari and the garlic toast. We waited for 10 minutes for someone to come back and check and see if everything was to our liking. No one returned. My 9 year old daughter went and asked a server (not the one who took our order, because he was not around) for melted butter for our crab. The sauces that came with the meal we were not accustomed to. We could not eat the meal with out the melted butter. I didn't want to spend $120 on a platter and not enjoy it....so we waited another 15 minutes for the melted butter. My 9 year old daughter then again got up and asked for melted butter. The child's calamari arrived and we started on the calamari. 5 minutes later the melted butter finally arrived (20 min after first asking) and we were able to eat our platter. We ate everything but the salmon. The server then came to clear the table but the garlic toast never arrived. When I inquired about it, the server blankly stared at me and then rushed back to the computer to order the garlic toast. We ultimately ended up taking it takeaway with the salmon. ( $2 takeaway charge). Then the server presented the bill. I asked " Doesn't the child's calamari come with dessert?" and he said he would get it after the check was done. Ultimately, we had no idea who our true server was. We had to get up and ask for virtually everything and he also charged for the drink which was included in the child's meal. For the most part we had a french server but he was not the one who took our order. I paid over $150 for 1 adult and 1 child. It honestly left a very poor taste in my mouth and destroyed our first experience of Sydney.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We come here regularly on public holidays because the food is good and we can always get a table.
I find the seafood fresh and always well prepared.
Recently had the Moreton bay bugs (actually "bug", as only two halves) but it was deliciously fresh and beautifully cooked. I followed this with whole snapper which again was perfectly cooked with lovely white flesh and obviously freshly caught. I guess with the volume they have the fish is always fresh. I finished with an Affogato which had two delicious scoops of vanilla bean gelato, rich dark coffee and frangelico. My company were equally impressed with their John Dory fillet with corn salsa, again beautifully cooked and fresh with lovely white flesh. The fish was impressive.
It lacks a little with staffing as they tend to run around a lot but they are friendly and willing.
The restaurant is not one I frequent often as it is a little expensive, but I am never disappointed with the seafood.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Went in there today, Easter Saturday, meal was ok nothing special, when finished I asked for the bill, I got the bill handed and over credit card to pay. When the waiter came down with the machine to pay a different number was on eftpos machine when I queried it he said there is a surcharge for public holidays. This was not on the original bill, he then produced a new bill with a surcharge on it.Very underhanded trying to get me to pay extra without explanation. Appreciate mistakes are made but don’t try to mislead customers. I won’t be going back.

1  Thank Pizzalovu
BlueFish64, Manager at Blue Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Bluefish advisers all our guests of the surcharge involved for dining on Easter Saturday. Being a service industry labour is our main expense..to offer our services on public holidays we need to charge a tad more..

thanks for your understanding

bluefish

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Before get into the detail, let me say I really hate posting poor feedback. But is this instance we were not left with much choice... We were out for a family lunch in Darling Harbour. We reviewed several menus before selecting Blue Fish to dine at. We chose this place as it had a reasonable kids menu. Getting our order taken initially took time. I had the cold seafood platter - nice, but not a lot for the price - nearly $50 - see the photo. The dish suffered from poor prepearation - one prawn not peeled, none deveined, and shell in one of my oysters. Wife and kids meals were fine. We asked for the bill, reviewed it, and left a credit card for payment... When ringing the credit card through we were charged an additional 10% surcharge as it was a public holiday. We’re not adverse to this additional charge, but it was not on the bill. And when we queried it there was no apology. Poor service, my meal was average, and we were quite disappointed overall...

thanks for your understanding

bluefish

we thankfully enjoy enormous support on these days and have so for 18 years from all our regular guests..