“Under-recognised Gem of Sydney”
Review of Guillaume at Bennelong - CLOSED

Guillaume at Bennelong
Price range: USD 0 - USD 872
Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Western NSW, Australia
“Under-recognised Gem of Sydney”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I find people seem surprised when I suggest this restaurant for a top-flight meal... maybe it is because of the tourist location, maybe because it has been around so long it is "passe".

Anybody who turns their nose up at this restaurant is simply shooting themselves in the foot. Over the past year I have been there at least 4 times, and each time it is superb. Being great is one thing. Being CONSISTENTLY great is a whole 'nother level!

And really, with a few exceptions, the view is just FABULOUS!

The menu is fresh, execution delightful, wines beautifully chosen, staff really, really superb, and I just love going there!

For a great night, ring Guillaume at Bennelong :-)

• Visited January 2012

Naples, Italy
“Very good food & fantastic service”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have only good things to say about the food & service at Guilaume at Bennelong. I had duck frillettes (good) & steak (phenomenal), while my wife had prawns (also good) & a local fish which she enjoyed. For dessert we each got chocolate tart which was good not great.
The only real negative was the lack of a view from this restaurant located IN the Sydney Opera House.
Note to guests: reserve a table FACING the rest of the Opera House! We ended up looking at a construction site since we didn't know to request a table facing the rest of this amazing site.

• Visited April 2012
Australia
“Lovely degustasion”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The ambience, location, views, food and service are all amazing here.

Visited May 2011
Bendigo, Australia
“Great view annd views by day”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We did Friday lunch. Not only was the food we ordered excellent but the freebies were extensive - a little salmon mouse 'icecream cone' as an appetiser, a potato puree and a very nice salad. Our entrees (King Prawn Ravioli & Venison Carpaccio) and mains (Veal Sweetbreads with gingerbread sauce and Flinders Island Lamb) were fantastic and service was pleasant, professional and efficient.

The attention to our needs was great, even taking a photo of us in front of the picture windows with a cruise ship docked in the background (we are such tourists).

We forewent dessert after such a great meal but they brought us a selection of sweet delectables with our coffee. The meal was not inexpensive but it was excellent value.

I've wondered what was needed to get hats (some very good restaurants misss out). I understand a little better now. The atmosphere, the service the view, the food, the extra touches multiply the positives.

• Visited March 2012
Sydney, Australia
“One time only!”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

The food was fine, slow, which us to be expected. But it's not like you rush there anyway.

Made a booking 6 weeks in advance and got a seat overlooking the gardens- not great at night. I guess 6 weeks just isn't long enough.

Lots of little "freebies" like bread, mash, salad and amuse bouche (sorry if spelt wrong).

Mains meat heavy- 6 choices, wine expensive..

Look it was the fanciest (read expensive) place I've ever been and the 2nd time ice had French food. I was a little underwhelmed.

It is desperate for a makeover.

1 Thank kate_014014