“I'd shuffle to the Bourke Street Bakery”

Bourke Street Bakery
Ranked #2 of 109 Bakeries in Sydney
Price range: AU$8 - AU$21
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Oh when I think about the food from the Bourke Street Bakery, it makes me want to do a little hop, skip and a jig.

We were here for pre-lunch 'brunch' (we decked off immediately to the fish market right after), but could not resist ordering a pie, a sausage roll, a tart, and two iced-coffees.

The pastry of both the pie and sausage roll (I will regret not being able to say pieS and sausage rollS until our next visit) was so buttery but not at all greasy!! Quite often I'd feel sick of eating a pie or sausage roll by the end of it, but these ones were the exception.

Overall, this place makes me happy and sits quite comfortably on my Sydney to-do/to-eat/to-conquer list! It's cheap, it's good, and next time, I'm ordering a stack of pies and sausage rolls to take home to Melbourne!

Date of visit: December 2011

Reviewed 3 January 2012

Don't be fooled by the unsuspecting facade of this bakery. It is reputed to be one of the best bakeries in the world (source: from the well known pastry chef and blogger David Leibovitz, who first heard about this place from his other pastry chef friend).

We dropped by for an afternoon snack and though it wasn't considered prime time, people were standing in line to purchase some baked goods from Bourke Street Bakery. Their croissants were light, fluffy, and airy. My husband had their oatmeal cookie which he loved. The bakery inside is tight for seating but they have cool rustic and vintage seating outside. Perfect to enjoy our pastry and coffee under the sun.

Date of visit: December 2011
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I regularly travel to Sydney for work and if fly home without a sample of delectable goodies from here my husband won't speak to me. It's a tiny corner shop filled with artisan breads, pastries and savouries. Coffee is great too. There's almost always a queue stretching around the corner but service is brisk so you never have to wait long.

There's so much to choose from but I thoroughly recommend the ginger brulee tart. Sounds weird, but the bite from the ginger cuts through the richness of the custard. Heaven! The little meringue tartlets are also delicious. I prefer the passionfruit meringues to the lemon version. A more subtle flavour and makes for a nice change. For something lighter with your coffee, the carrot cake is my pick. A lashing of whipped cream cheese nestled between two light, spongey layers of cake.

You can't go wrong with anything savoury either, and for a vegetarian like myself there are a few options, especially the pizzas which are quite a novelty. Thin based square slices which they heat and fold over like an omelette so you eat it like a sandwich. Delicious!

Bourke Street Bakery is easly one of the best I've been to. Great ingredients and you can tell a lot of love goes into everything they make. The owners have also published a cook book, called Bourke Street Bakery, which I promptly purchased as soon as it hit the shelves (a couple of years ago, I think.). I was going to bake my way through the book but it all looks too hard. Haven't made a thing. Instead my husband now uses it as a menu to make his selections for my next trip to Sydney.

Date of visit: August 2011
3  Thank BethShan42
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Little family trip out to the bakery - small park across the road to lay in the sunshine and eat your treats!

Delicious food here in this quaint cornerstore bakery

Date of visit: September 2010
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I love Bourke St Bakery. All the locations are fantastic and the food is to die for. Get in early to check out their amazing mushroom and goat cheese quiche! Yum! The brioches and brule tarts are also outstanding.

Service can be mixed though. There's some fantastic genuine, efficient people working there but also quite a few snarly hipster types.

Date of visit: June 2011