“Wow - makes eating before the theatre an absolute pleasure!”
Review of Walsh Bay Kitchen

Walsh Bay Kitchen
Ranked #3,647 of 5,986 Restaurants in Sydney
Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

We had tickets to the matinee session of All My Sons, a Sydney Theatre production and decided it would be easier to eat close to the theatre than fiddle with parking and moving etc. What a treat! A choice between 2 courses for $49 and 3 courses for $59. We went with main and dessert. Delicious!!! Barramundi = yum and affogato = scrum!! The glass of wine included was good too. The best was we wanted coffee but ran out of time, so they said come back at intermission and it would be waiting for you ... and it was! And we were the only ones in the restaurant at intermission!! A delight!!

There are newer reviews for Walsh Bay Kitchen

Reviewed 20 June 2016 via mobile

As requested. This café is located downstairs in the Roslyn Packer Theatre but does have its own entrance.
I asked for a strong hot Long Black and that was exactly what I got.

Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

I have visited most of the restaurants in the area for pre-theatre dining and I would recommend Walsh Bay Kitchen as besides the food being good, they have the timing down pat. It's nice to go to the theatre and feel assured the waiters are watching the timing of the meal and I don't have to be worried about getting to the theatre before lock-out. We went before seeing 'All my sons' and it was my second experience eating at this restaurant and both experiences have been fantastic. In contrast, we we went to Bennelong at The Opera House before seeing Hayfever and we were served our desserts 10 minutes before the show even though we chose the Express Menu option and we made it clear we were going to the theatre.

The decor at Walsh Bay Kitchen is contemporary with great warmth. The restaurant has a vibrant atmosphere which adds to the excitement of the theatre experience.
The two course or three course set menus offer great value. It includes a glass of wine. I enjoyed my duck salad, the Wagyu beef and the fish,which was cooked in a nice light cream sauce, were all excellent. We were a large group and ordered some sides as well. The fries went well with the steak.
On both occasions We have returned at interval for our desserts and coffees. I think this is a brilliant option. This time I had the panna cotta which was actually a little average.
Going to an The Sydney Theatre Company (STC) to watch a play is a pretty special night out and I would recommend going to Walsh Bay Kitchen for your pre-theatre dinner firstly for the convenience. as a rushed meal before a show can be stressful, secondly for the food, as the set menus offer good value and let's face it you've already forked out a significant amount for the play, and thirdly go for the great decor and atmosphere which all add to the whole theatre experience.

Reviewed 10 June 2016

My daughter and I ate here prior to the Sydney Theatre Company production of All My Sons. The restaurant is buzzing and obviously gets very busy prior to a show. Apart from it taking a while to be noticed by the waitress initially everything progressed very well after that.

The service was prompt and polite and the food was delicious. We dined from the pre-theatre menu (my daughter had prawns followed by wagyu and I had duck salad followed by barramundi). All dishes were delicious and beautifully presented. The pre-theatre menu also includes a glass of wine (we had the red and it was very good).

The price for the pre-theatre menu is, I think, good value for money at $49 per person (2 courses plus wine). The room is large and it gets busy and the conversation bubbles but you can still hear each other speak. Good vibe here.

Would recommend to locals and visitors to Sydney even if you're not going to the theatre.

Reviewed 9 June 2016

The oportunity to eat a Pre-Theatre meal at the venue was tempting especially being interstate visitors. On arrival the staff went out of the way to accomodate us and make sure we were comfortable sitting at a bar type table. The room looked very good, contemporary style with a great ambience.
The menu for starters was very good, but the rest of the menu offered little in the way of exciting choices. My wife and eye really enjoyed our starters but made the mistake of ordering Wagyu beef for mains. The steak was thin, tasteless, but with the smell of re-heated meat, with an olive oil based sauce, in which the olive oil was turning rancid (I work in the olive oil industry). Neither of us could eat the steak. Full credit to the staff we were not charged for the steak.
This restaurant has many of the elements for becoming a very good restaurant in a very good location and to be well patronised by theatre-goers but at present not all of the required elements are coming together for a great experience.
The kitchen I feel needs to lift its game.