“Awesome Chinese Food Experience”
Review of Lotus The Galeries

Lotus The Galeries
Ranked #164 of 6,793 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: USD 18 - USD 46
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This was my first formal Chinese cuisine experience in Sydney besides many take aways from food courts..
The place has an excellent ambiance and great service..Since it was Tuesday evening, may be that's why it wasn't really crowded and the service was excellent..
Lotus, has a lot to offer especially the dumplings..and good options of gluten free too..It's on a bit expensive side and the dish size is reasonably OK, if not great.
They offer a large variety of cocktails and private dining options too..My favourite dish of the evening was, Kung pao chicken with dried chilli and peanuts..
It was an evening well spent..I only wish, they provided me with a fresh plate for dinner after I had my snacks..I would have rated it 5 stars..
Of course the location is very convenient especially with public transport, just few minutes walk..

LotusDiningAustralia, Owner at Lotus The Galeries, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Good Evening, Thank you for your review. We are glad that you chose us as your first formal Chinese cuisine experience and that we did not disappoint. We pride ourselves in offering gluten free options to accommodate all diners, so we appreciate your comments. We hope to welcome you back to Lotus soon! Kind Regards, Cassandra Cormier

Reviewed 3 September 2017

For the second time in a week, I visited this gem of a place - the first time on a workday with the work day buzz and today Sunday for Fathers Day with family.
We booked online which is useful to be assured a sea at this busy restaurant.
Here's a tip - go earlier to Chinese restaurants and you will probably get better dumplings and perhaps eve service.
The service was very good both Wednesday and Sunday. Relaxed, attentive and professional.
If you like a relaxed seating plan, ask for the low round tables near the entry to the restaurant. This is away from the standard seating area of square tables, where the happy chatter can be a bit noisier especially on a weekday.
Being lunch, we chose mainly steamed dumplings including Szechuan Prawn & Pork Wontons (big favourite) - just a tingle of chilli, Pork and Prawn dumplings, BBQ Pork Buns (another favourite), Duck pancakes - tender pieces of duck with thin pancake wraps, beans with minced pork and Crispy Skin chicken with special sauce. The chicken was just cooked and moist rather than dry.
Dumplings were a good size - somewhat bigger ones than Chinatown. All dishes were really tasty and cooked with great finesse.
A good wine to accompany this meal is the Pichot Loire Valley Chenin Blanc, which nicely offsets the Chinese food. Bit like a palette cleanser.
Dessert was a fresh passion fruit ice cream with marshmallow centre..
Best Chinese restaurant for miles.
Highly recommended !!!

LotusDiningAustralia, Reservations and Events Manager at Lotus The Galeries, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Good Evening, Thank you so much for this wonderful review. Twice in one week, we must be doing something right! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed both your dining experiences with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Kind Regards, Amy Gamble

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

My colleague and I were here for dinner as our hotel is near this location. It was nearly 8 pm when we settled in and there are not a large crowd as it is Monday evening.
I ordered shanghai dumplings as she was not in the mood to eat due to jet lag. However, she likes the dish. I explained to her how to eat without scared by the hot broth within the dumplings. The downside of this dish is that there is no sliced ginger that come along with vinegar dip for shanghai steam dumpling.

We also ordered their signature fried rice. The portion is big for both of us but the ' wok hei' is good. A good recommendation to try.

The green beans with minced pork is done well and just right ( not too overcooked Nor undercooked). This is the one dish I completed nearly 3/4 of the portion.

Price is fairly above average. Good ambiance for a gathering if the crowd is not too overwhelming.

Didn't take any photos as the food presentation is quite standard.

LotusDiningAustralia, Reservations and Events Consultant at Lotus The Galeries, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Good Evening, Thank you for taking the time to share details of your recent visit to Lotus. We are pleased to hear that your experience dining with us was of a high standard and that you enjoyed your meal. We hope to see you again in the future. Kind Regards, Edie Bannerman

Reviewed 16 August 2017

This review is a few months late which shows how much a little thing can impact a memory. This is not an inexpensive restaurant. It is modern and like most restaurants in Sydney, has nothing soft to absorb sound. The result is a sleek, modern urban setting. We were a 3 generation family celebrating a holiday. 4 people had drinks and all 6 eat as adults in terms of quantity, variety and price. Prices are higher than most but certainly not unreasonable - it is a nice restaurant (not a cheap and cheerful)

We ordered "family style" as is typical for Chinese Food. We had a few very tasty entrees and a typical number of mains for a party of our size. We asked for rice for 4 as we didn't want too much. Unfortunately, due to the volume of noise combined with my parents advanced age and a variety of accents we didn't immediately understand that 4 bowls of rice meant only 4 people could have rice - even though it was served in one bowl. When the waitress noticed everyone having a bit she firmly told us that if she saw 6 people eating rice we had to pay 6 rice charges. I told her fine but noticed that no more rice was delivered to the table. I am talking plain, steamed rice. The entire exchange left a bad taste in my mouth. First of all my parents were embarrassed, 2nd of all we felt as if we were being watched (like salespeople watch those they deem "suspicious" in an upscale jewellery or electronics store) and finally I felt for the overall price of the meal it was just petty , especially as we received the same amount of rice when it was for 4 as when it was for 6.

There are far too many restaurants serving great food to be made to feel like that. I would hesitate to go back.

LotusDiningAustralia, Reservation and Events Manager at Lotus The Galeries, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Good Afternoon, Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate you chose to dine with us for your family celebration. In regards to your dining experience as we are a large venue, it can get a little noisy when busy. We apologise that you did not receive this level of service on which we pride ourselves, our rice is $3 per person and is not charged per serving. We sincerely apologise that this was not made clear to you throughout the ordering process, we would never want to mislead our guests. We will ensure to pass your comments on accordingly. We would love to have you in again, please feel free to contact me directly on amy@lotusdining.com.au. Kind Regards, Amy Gamble

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Look, the service wasn't perfect. We got ignored feeling awkward at the door until waiters stoped talking and came and seated us. Apart from that it was a great experience. We had four entree salads for dinner and they were delicious. The egg plant and the salmon particularly. Dumplings were excellent.

Four salads and two beers for $88. Great value.

LotusDiningAustralia, Reservations and Events Manager at Lotus The Galeries, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Good Morning, Thank you for your review. We apologise that the you felt ignored when you entered our venue, your comment has been passed on accordingly. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the rest of your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you to one of our venues again soon. Kind Regards, Amy Gamble