“Lovely room, friendly service, great value - just ask for earplugs”
Review of Annam Apartments

Annam Apartments
Ranked #105 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Darwin, Australia
“Lovely room, friendly service, great value - just ask for earplugs”
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I only chose Annam apartments because for the period I was staying in Sydney for a conference (5 days), it was literally the last hotel left with a room in my allowed budget ($100 - $200 per night), and within walking distance of the CBD.
After reading the other reviews on this site, I was not looking forward to my stay!

However, my stay there was so pleasant and convenient that I wanted to write this (my first) tripadvisor review. Provided the rates continue to offer excellent value, it will probably be my first choice when I next visit Sydney.

The Good
- Rooms are pleasingly modern, well-appointed and furnished
- The manager (Adam) was friendly, courteous, and accommodating
- Pleasant 20min walk to the city
- Great cafe ('Uliveto') around the corner (which I visited on Adam's recommendation)
- Free, fast and flawless wi-fi, which was very much appreciated

The Bad
- The noise levels at certain times: road noise during peak times and in the evenings, and the shouts of revellers leaving nearby pubs late on Fri & Sat nights. However: After my first night, I asked for earplugs from reception, and the rest of my nights I slept very soundly. Honestly, I believe that wearing earplugs completely negates this 'bad' point.

Overall:
A hidden gem that many people will pass over because of the noise. Ask reception for earplugs, and you'll have a wonderful stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Mr_McNoob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I have to concur with the previous reviewers, this place is truly the pits!
Same deal, electrical issues which went unresolved the whole time.
Internet is slower than dial up.
Rooms are incredibly noisy at ant time of day, but especially at night with all the yobbos from the cross and all the cab drivers honking - there is simply no chance of sleep.
Intrusive and downright rude staff, especially the "manager"
Dont bother calling the emergency number if your key stops working, they wont answer and will just leave you on the street in the middle of the night! We had to book another more expensive room for the night because we couldnt access the hotel.
This place is a disgrace!
AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

5 Thank Woodstar
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Firstly its soo loud you can hear everything down the street, its horrible my partner didnt sleep at all I got sleep but was cranky and very unsettled the whole time I was there. The lights kept breaking every day we had showers in the dark. The next morning the toaster was broken. The maintenance guy walked in and let himself in the room while I was still there alone. I called the front desk to let them know the problem is the whole switch board as the kettle wouldn't work either. I asked if I could move into another room and he said no chance and the only option was to check out.. without any apologies for the ongoing issues ( I even bought my own light globes to fix the bathroom after the emergency line wasn't answered at night when it broke) I was treated with no respect and called 'darling' and it seemed it was a hassle for them to have me stay the whole week when really it was a hassle for me to deal with the ongoing issues of the apartment and disgraceful management. I am appalled by the conditions and the staff even the management was rude and unhelpful. It is a scam and a joke. Do not stay here.

3 Thank sydneycbd333
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2010

The quality of the rooms is decent and even the studio that I stayed in was pretty spacious. Basic amenities are included. The only concern as mentioned by other travelers is that the hotel is located at a very busy crossroads and does not seem to have any sound insulation. As a result, when someone walks past and is speaking it seems as if you are next to them downstairs rather than in your room. The traffic noise is pretty disturbing as well. I wouls suggest taking this room if you get at least a 30% discount off their advertised price and can prenegotiate a higher floor, at least 3rd floor. Also, for some reason it took me over an hour to get a taxi! Internet quality was poor.

1 Thank wasimmehr
All over Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I found these apartments online on a discount site, and picked up a cheap deal to stay for a week. At the discount rate, I feel as though I got a great bargain and have no complaints.
Having lived in Sydney before, I was aware that Potts Point *IS* Kings Cross, so I was aware I would be staying in the middle of a busy area. My spacious studio was on the top (5th?) floor, and I had no trouble whatsoever with noise. I have stayed at far noisier and more expensive hotels in Sydney. In fact, given the location, one block behind "the Coke sign", I felt that it was relatively quiet.
There is a great cafe around the corner for breakfast, and KC station is about 3 minutes walk away. Given that I had commitments in both directions (in Sydney's beaches, the CBD and in the inner west) this proved to be the perfect location for me.
Unlike previous reviewers, I found the wireless internet to be faultless and an appreciated free service.
Kitchen facilities were great and well appointed although seldom used by me. Bathroom was equally good and the washing machine much appreciated.
The staff were friendly and helpful, without being intrusive.
If I could pick up a cheap deal again I would definitely stay here. I would probably request to have a room on one of the higher floors again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo