“This is the place for opals”

Australian Opal Cutters and Pearl Divers
Ranked #4 of 199 Shopping in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Free Opal Cutting Tour and Lesson. Australian Opal Cutters is a family owned, third generation gem company. We source precious Australian Opals directly from the mines and sell directly to you, so you can get the best value. Rarity, Affordability and Value. This is who we are.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Beautiful selection of opals all sizes and all colours. Would recommend these to everyone. Totally enjoyed our visit.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Jason B, Director of Sales at Australian Opal Cutters and Pearl Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Dear Valerie

We appreciate your feedback. We promise to be here for your next trip to Sydney!

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"gems"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 5 October 2017

After doing research on the best place to buy opals in Sydney I decided upon Australian Opal Cutters. It is off the tourist trap, no fancy marketing, a strange shop on the 3rd floor of a building with top security to get in and out and therefore not paying premium rates to cover the cost of the premises! Expert knowledge, a huge selection of beautiful opals and felt happy with the quality and authenticity of the opal pendant that I purchased. Added bonus was a pair of pearl earrings as a gift and a nice bottle of red wine. Would recommend.

Dear c0rky42

Thank you for the review. We try to show how valuable and rare the Opals are and we are happy when help create lasting memories with our customers. We hope you become our friends by the end of your visit.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I had bought an Opal ladies watch last year, the glass had come off, (it was rarely used) visited them this year for a possiblity of getting it repaired, they had my records in their customer database - had to leave it there for rectification.
They called me next day and told it was done and I can collect it.
Went there and found it was not working (when I had given them it was in working condition)
They were surprised like me and offered a new one, a bit more expensive as the same type was unavailable at no extra cost
The staff were very courteous, they have good variety of jewellery
Will definitely buy from them whenever I'm in Sydney
Bhaskaran, Malaysia

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Jason B, Director of Sales at Australian Opal Cutters and Pearl Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Thank You for the sincere feedback, it is crucial hear it as it is, from our customers. We will continue to provide the Opal and Pearl jewellery with the highest quality and value.

I'm so glad you are happy with your purchase

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I was on a quest to find an opal to take home to my wife in US. Having visited another recommended opal store and getting a rehearsed sales pitch, it was refreshing to visit Australian Opal Cutters and Pearl Divers. If you are looking for a high end boutique appearance, this is not the place. If you are looking for honest answers and advise, you have found the right store. After being shown the difference types of opals in both appearance and quality, I was able to choose a beautiful black opal pendant with brillant streaks of color. I was pleased with the cost and my wife was very pleased with my choice.

Dear Martin K

Thank you very much for your review we really appreciate it , im glad you experience at point our exceptional customer service and im happy your wife loved the piece of jewellery you purchased

I hope oy come and visit our store when you next in Sydney

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Vern and I stopped in at their 3rd floor shop on Pitt St. I had a pair of rough opal earrings that were mounted improperly years ago and one stone wore through the hole. I've been wanting another pair. We worked with Jason Blaiklock, managing director and he set us up for a lot of fun and searching. One jar at a time he brought out his rough opals. We found the right size stones, different jars. We'd work through, I found the first stone. Re-bottle all the others and another bottle came out. I have to say he's never had a customer looking for rough stones and when he saw my choices he had to fight the urge to polish them to bring out that luster of color. We chose the settings and he told us how they mount the stone so no holes are drilled through which is much safer for the stones. I love them!!!

Date of experience: September 2017

Thank you very much for your review we appreciate everybody who takes time out and writes about Australian opal cutters , we hope to see you back again in Sydney very soon.