“Tetsuy's, still brilliant after all these years.”
Review of Tetsuya's

Tetsuya's
Ranked #20 of 6,843 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: USD 180 - USD 180
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Tetsuya's serves a Degustation menu of Eight courses. The menu is unique and is based on the Japanese philosophy of using natural seasonal flavours enhanced by classic French technique and utilising the freshest possible ingredients. Tetsuya designed his own on-site "test kitchen" within the restaurant to enable him to create the constantly evolving and inspiring dishes on which he has built his esteemed international reputation. Tetsuya's offers one of Sydney's most comprehensive wine lists and our sommeliers will, upon request, match the dishes with wine available by the glass. Tetsuya's does not accept or allow the service of BYO Wine, Beer or Spirits.
Reviewed 13 June 2016

Tetsuya’s has been one of Sydney’s premium restaurants for nearly 20 years, and remains as innovative today as it has ever been.

There is only a degustation menu at a fixed price (currently $230 per head) and everything is to die for. The degustation menu consists of 8 courses including some sushi style dishes early on and a really special beef or lamb dish towards the end of the meal. There is also the matched wine option to go with each course at an additional price, and yes we did do this and it was worth it.

Every course is introduced and explained as it is served. Some of the courses are so intricately prepared that a detailed explanation just adds to the whole experience.
Speaking of the staff, you won’t find any better. Their detailed knowledge, their friendliness and willingness to answer food nerd questions is so much appreciated by fine diners, who are really interested in the details of what is being served.

The building overlooks a lovely Japanese garden in a private courtyard, sitting there looking over the garden with no outside influences, you could be anywhere in the world, it is so peaceful.

Go to Tetsuya’s and be immersed in a wonderful experience, that can last for hours.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,258)

Reviewed 13 June 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had a late sitting and were shown in to a room that had around 6 tables. Our table overlooked the Japanese garden which was immediately soothing.

We began with a cocktail and some bread that was served with butter, truffle oil and ricotta. I could have had 5, but wanted to save myself.

I cannot recall each of the 9 courses, other than to say, each was distinctive, tasty and of a reasonable size. I loved the ocean trout and the octopus and the dessert with the autumn leaves was a thing of art.

The wine was not cheap, but in line with expectations. And the sommelier knew his stuff.

The service was attentive all evening - without being stuffy or overly formal.

The only minor suggestion was that the thermostat was a bit unsteady and I spent some of the evening putting on and taking off my jacket.

Overall, an unforgettable experience.

Reviewed 9 June 2016

Had this on the bucket list for years....finally made it!! My wife and I indulged in the degustation menu and for a short period in time I do believe I was in food heaven...exquisite offerings from the kitchen, everything I had imagined Tetsuya's to be was delivered to our table. Divine food, outstanding wine list, unobtrusive, professional service.

Reviewed 9 June 2016

If you are expecting to dine in a Japanese Restaurant when you go there, be surprised. It is not Japanese. First thing that shocked me was the cutlery on the table, no chopsticks. Bread served at start of dinner. List goes on.

Though food was creatively prepared and served, it was unsettling. Service staff was a bit irritated when we did not stop our conversation for him to describe the food. Wonder who was being served. for $230 per pax for food, I would have expected a better experience.

1  Thank ChuaH127
Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

Everything as everything was amazing! Thank you to the staff members, the service was outstanding! We loved it and we will definitely be back!